It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Tips on coping with severe social anxiety

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
sonja342
(female)

sonja342 HB User
Question Tips on coping with severe social anxiety

It's gotten worse as I've gotten older.. but it's at a peak now. I rarely leave the house unless I absolutely have to. I avoid speaking to my friends and making plans because I know I would have to go out and be around people. I get so nervous that I'm going to embarrass myself or do something stupid in front of others. I was often bullied as a child and made fun of, which is what led to the anxiety disorder. What advice would you guys recommend for this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Tips on coping with severe social anxiety

The initial thing would be therapy with an evaluation test initially and a full blood work-up for any deficiencies, vitamins, etc.
Are you dealing with any other health issues?

Do you want to go out? Are you wanting to make changes in your life to be able to have access to others, etc? Can you have people over to your house?

q

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
sonja342
(female)

sonja342 HB User

Thanks for the reply!

I had blood work done last week and everything except my cholesterol came back normal. I've also had a previous blood work that showed some issues with my thyroid. But the doctor doesn't seem to think anything of it and just keeps wanting to retest my thyroid every few months, the problem is my levels keep switching up between high and then normal. Which is frustrating. I also have Bipolar disorder, so I'm on medications for that and the anxiety but the medicines for my anxiety aren't really working that well.

As for changes, yes I do want to change. I want to be able to leave the house and feel totally comfortable around others. I recently got invited to a party for later this month and I'm planning on making myself go. My case worker said to take baby steps towards social events but I have to learn somehow. I'm not in therapy at the moment but that is a great suggestion! I had a great therapist at one point but she graduated out of the program she was in so I couldn't see her anymore. I just have to find one that I feel confident with, because the few others I've seen gave me bad vibes. I'll look into that this week.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....i would suggest you ask your doc to send you to an endocrinologist regarding your thyroid if it's up and down. It's possible that the fluctuation may give you the increased surges exacerbating your anxiety.
What med are you using for anxiety?

It's definitely a baby-step process. Not an easy one....but worth the efforts to have social connections. I can relate to anxiety....therapy definitely helped.

When you were in therapy, did you work on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? If you realise the thoughts as to why you're anxious about events (or anything for that matter) allowing options of alternative thinking is extremely helpful to lessen the cycle.

Are you sleeping OK, and have you tried relaxation exercises or even meditation?

q

Last edited by quincy; 07-17-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
sonja342
(female)

sonja342 HB User

Hey!

I will see about the endocrinologist, I'm not sure if my doctor will give me a referral. But I know I need to have more in depth tests ran on my thyroid. I might have to see a different doctor for that, somebody who will take it seriously. As for medications I'm on 5 total, I take ..

Abilify 10mg (bipolar)
Lexapro 10mg (anxiety)
Hydroxyzine 25mg (anxiety attacks)
Remeron 30mg (insomnia)
Trileptal 150mg (bipolar)

Previously tried Buspar 30mg for my anxiety but it didn't work.

My therapy sessions included some CBT, mainly for the bipolar symptoms though. I didn't get diagnosed with anxiety until about a 1-2 years ago. I haven't had any therapy sessions in over 4 years, which is horrible for my recovery. I go to my local community clinic for all my mental health needs and they said I don't need therapy so I have to outsource for a therapist.

My sleep is fine, thanks to the insomnia medication! Hopefully it keeps working. But before I was medicated I rarely slept a full nights sleep, I had racing thoughts and then I'd stay up all night worrying.

I will definitely take your advice into consideration! Thanks for the reply!

The following user gives a hug of support to sonja342:
quincy (07-18-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi....when people say you don't need therapy.....it's basically saying we don't care about your supportive care. Is outsourcing meaning referral?

Does the clinic have a psychiatrist who prescribes your meds?

If yiu can get back to the same therapist you saw 4 years ago, that could be helpful.

Please let me know how you're doing.

q

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
sonja342
(female)

sonja342 HB User

My anxiety hasn't gotten any better, it's still pretty bad.

&& yeah I need a referral, I currently go to my local MHMR and they're good about medications but not so much on therapy. But then again if the medications worked I wouldn't need therapy. You have to have a specific diagnosis to be eligible for therapy. Apparently anxiety + my other diagnosis (Bipolar) isn't included. Weird?! Since I'm supposed to have CBT included in my recovery. I've tried finding my therapist from a few years ago but haven't found anything about her recently. It's all old information.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow.....somehow my brain doesn't comprehend that process, sheesh!
Do you have a family doctor who could set you up with a therapist?

I would next suggest seeking out meditation and relaxation (and maybe if offered..anxiety related) classes.....anything to help with intervening the cycle of anxiety. The therapy part would be to help the thoughts and why you're thinking them.

What about friends and family? Since you cannot find your past therapist, best to leave that out as an option and add other options of possibilities to your list. It's possible through other avenues, you'll find access to other things that could help.

q

Reply Reply