It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Burning Stomach - stress?

Hello. For the past 2-3 weeks I have had very painful feelings in my stomach. I kept thinking it would go away so I didn't make an appointment to see a doctor.

I am usually OK until I eat in the morning.. even when I don't eat until the afternoon.
Once I eat something my stomach starts to burn. It feels like something drilling through my stomach.
It is very painful unless I either don't eat, or, once I eat I can keep eating a mouthful every 20-30 minutes and it seems to keep it bearable.
It is worst in the nighttime.. especially when in bed trying to sleep... it grumbles a lot too.
Also, softdrink/alcohol makes it worse.

My theory is something to do with stomach acid. (I have taken Mylanta - it didn't help). As long as there is no food in my stomach it is ok.. but then once something is eaten it must have more and more eaten to keep it calm.

Could this be from stress? That is what someone suggested. I have been feeling lazy as well. What can I do to prevent it? Thankyou for any idea/help.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:34 AM   #2

Tigre HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenoctopus18
Hello. For the past 2-3 weeks I have had very painful feelings in my stomach. I kept thinking it would go away so I didn't make an appointment to see a doctor.

I am usually OK until I eat in the morning.. even when I don't eat until the afternoon.
Once I eat something my stomach starts to burn. It feels like something drilling through my stomach.
It is very painful unless I either don't eat, or, once I eat I can keep eating a mouthful every 20-30 minutes and it seems to keep it bearable.
It is worst in the nighttime.. especially when in bed trying to sleep... it grumbles a lot too.

My theory is something to do with stomach acid. (I have taken Mylanta - it didn't help). As long as there is no food in my stomach it is ok.. but then once something is eaten it must have more and more eaten to keep it calm.

Could this be from stress? That is what someone suggested. I have been feeling lazy as well. What can I do to prevent it? Thankyou for any idea/help.
Hi,
I have had diarrhea for the past two weeks since a severe anxiety attack. Everything I eat or drink comes out within a half hour. I called my insurances 24 help line yesterday and the nurse told me that he thought (after I answered questions about meds and everything else) that he believes it is from stress. I have been dealing with MUCH stress which I wont get into because I have posted it many times on different threads but thats what it boils down too. He said it also sounds like im very dehydrated (according to my symptoms...i only pee like at the most twice a day) and he said to contact my doctor. There could be an infection, or the intestinal lining could be eroding or something (dont exactly remember what he said about that) or it could be irritable bowel syndrome. Bottom line is stress can and does cause physical symptoms so call your doc and make an appointment. The nurse on the 24 hr line said not to self diagnos especially with the symptoms im having, i have the cramps as well and have lost like 11 lbs in like 9 days. It could be stress or it could be something else but get it checked out. I wish you the best.
Take care,
Tigre

Tigre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Inactive

clairey HB User
Smile

[QUOTE=Greenoctopus18]Hello. For the past 2-3 weeks I have had very painful feelings in my stomach. I kept thinking it would go away so I didn't make an appointment to see a doctor.

Hello!!
It may be an ulcer or inflamation (gastritis) of the stomach!! as you described burning pain?
These 2 problems usually have symtoms like this!!
I have a chronic stomach condition called functional dyspepsia, my pain is an ache but you describe burning pain!! so it definitely sounds like u may have an ulcer or gastritis.
The best thing to do is go to the doctor, they can give strong medication that inhibits the amount of acid produced and that helps ulcers clear up with in 1-2 months! they may also test you for a bug which is known to cause ulcers.
With gastritis it can take alot longer to cure but with medication and the right diet it will clear up.
If you are interested in natural remedies to help heal your stomach i can offer loads!! as i know all about which ones work and which ones are good for the problem!!
But you must get it checked out as if it is an ulcer or gastritis you will need to get it sorted!
Your best bet is to avoid alcohol, caffine and cigerettes! as they all slow healing down and make u feel worse!! drink chamomile tea too that soothes it. avoid fatty foods and go easy on bread!! toast brown bread instead. Dont drink with meals either leave it at least an hour before having a drink after u have ate.

But go to the doctors they can help sort it all out!! stress can cause acid problems but also makes things like ulcers worse so its best to get it sorted soon!!
get back to me and i will talk over some remedies! u will be amazed at all the info i can give!!
email me on [removed] if you wanna talk more about it!!

claire

Last edited by moderator2; 11-30-2003 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. This board is for anonymous use only.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. Thankyou for your replies.
I have noticed that sometimes if I don't think about things all day I won't have any pain, but then as soon as I remember that usually I would be in pain at that time I start feeling the burning. It doens't go past my stomach and it doesn't feel like what indigestion does. I only ever get indigestion after eating walnuts.

I started this worrying after getting a positive pregnancy test. It was definately a shock as I am very careful with taking the pill as well as using condoms perfectly as I am 19 and still in the middle of university. It has since been confirmed a 'faulty' test as a result of 4 negative urine tests and a negative blood test, as well as a period, etc., but I still do worry.

I am definately not dehydrated. If I have a mouthful of water I have to go and empty 10 minutes later. I think it could be from thinking I am pregnant I just notice it more.. I'm not sure.

I have had anxiety before where I would vomit for days/week... but I haven't had to vomit from this. I have noticed a change in bowel movements... and I have looked up IBS. I do have endo, which I guess can affect things like this.

Claire, I was going to see the health food store this afternoon to see them about natural stress relief. I have end-of-year exams in 7 days so I want to be able to relax and not worry about my stomach issues.
Do you suggest anything inparticular?
I usually don't use the natural remedies, as I find they don't work as well as other things. I have only tried things to help with period pains and I wished I had just stuck with the panadol.

I also get sharp pains in my lungs.. I am a non-smoker, as are my parents. Sometimes it hurts to inhale air.. I'm not sure if this could be stress related as well?

I have noticed that tea makes my stomach sore too. It is almost like my stomach hasn't any lining so I can feel the tea as hot when entering my stomach. This had only been lately, but I can rememeber this happening about a year ago, but I didn't have the other problem.

I heard chamomile tea is good for stress too, so I was planning on getting some thisafternoon.

Thankyou both for your help. I will try and get an appointment with the doctor.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I have EXACTLY the same issues as in your first post. I have actually been gaining weight as a result of the constant eating. To find out what is going on, I had an edoscopic procedure done, where a tube with a camera is put down the throat, down to the stomach. In my case I have Gastritis, which is an inflamation of the stomach lining. In addition I had 11 polyps, which the Doc removed in the same procedure. They also tested for the bacteria that causes ulsers, which came out negative.

I take a medication once per day, which is called a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI). This med reduces the amount of acid your stomach releases, and alows the condition to clear up (possibly). Some of the PPI's available are Protonix, Aciphex, Prevacid and Nexium. I have tried them all, and found Nexium to work best for me. Studies have also shown similar findings, with all the PPI's being about equal in controling the acid, but Nexium being better at helping to heal the damage.

The things that Tigre and Clairey speak of are consistent with my experience as well.

I would not want to suggest you ignore anything like sharp pains in your lungs. But it is known that in some people, some of the stomach acid comes up the esophagus (this is called GERD), and small amounts of it can get into your lungs, causing pain, and can even cause asthma.

Ok, so enough of the physicality...... Can all this be caused by stress? I would not at all be suprized. But you need to heal yourself. Chamomile tea is good. So are bland foods. Stay away from all spices, even peper, onions, anything with tomatos. Do not over eat. Do not lay down after eating. Stop eating about 3 hours before laying down to sleep. Try elevating your head a bit with an extra pillow. Take antacids whenever it bothers you, and sometimes at bedtime.

And a note about dairy products. These seem like they help momentarily, but often have a rebound effect. Cheese doesn't seem to bother me, but milk does. For me, milk helps initially, but is much worse after about 1/2 hour.

Just my experiences.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. I have been worried about weight gain as well, but I would usually be eating a lot around exams anyway.
I read about the endoscope and didn't like the sound of it.
Did you get this and then it just wouldn't go away? or would you have
episodes of it and then you would be ok for weeks/months?
Can gastritis be aggravated by stress?
Could it be possible I have that but only have symptoms when under stress?

I was feeling fine until lunch time when I tested whether tea, softdrink and breads make it worse. I had all three. My stomach did hurt.. but maybe I was just expecting it to in my head. After that I went to the healthfood store and the lady gave me something called 'v....' (I will check that later). It is a smelly tea. I had a small amount earlier. I'm not sure when it would take effect. My stomach feels tight and acidic, but not too bad.

I will try to live on chamomile tea, fruit and biscuits and chocolate until I can see a doctor.. hopefully not too long.. probably a week.
I usually sit down for the entire day, apart from walking to lectures, etc. I only lay down to sleep. It is hard not eating for three hours before going to sleep because then I have pain for that three hours.. but then when I lie down to sleep, after 10 minutes or so I need more to eat... I have learnt to ignore it but have turned into quite a night-owl, which I hate being that it is close to exams and I waste most of my day sleeping.

Mylanta is an antacid? I have taken these if that is what Mylanta is, but it doesn't seem to work too noticeably. The pharmisist tried to sell me some expensive tablets to prevent stomach acid production.. perhaps I should have tried them.. they sounded a little harsh though.. or is it ok not to have any acid at all? I thought it was a line of defense against disease/infection?

Thankyou for sharing your experiences.. I have just missed the closing time for the doctor so will have to try and get an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 11-03-2003 at 10:16 PM. Reason: too much spacing

Closed Thread