It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 AM   #1

nostrings HB User
Feeling Anxious after Eating...

I originally posted this under "Panic Disorders" before I found this thread. I guess this site take a bit getting used to.

Does anyone feel anxious after eating meals, especially meals that are high in carbs? By anxious I mean accelerated heart rate, unable to concentrate as well as normal, feeling tired and in general feeling bad.

I am on Zoloft and this keeps me level for the most part but it has not done anything for this. I had a Doctor prescribe Atenolol (lowers blood pressure) because she said she had success with this in the past for the same type of symptoms. This worked for a while but the anxious feeling is coming back again.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive

Fighter HB User
Hey nostrings, I get the same problems for some reason.....I dont know what it is but the feelings it causes is what makes me anxious....I was worried it was blood sugar or something but had a glucose tolerance done and it was normal....so I wonder if it has to do with metabolism or digestion or something....I wish I knew cuz it drives me crazy....atleast you know you're not alone, cuz I thought I was til now....have any docs given you any ideas?....well take care and talk to ya later. Fighter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
i get that when i really stuff myself.. i mostly just get short of breath tho..

Old 11-12-2003, 05:39 PM   #4

nostrings HB User
Fighter,

Atenelol definitely worked for a while and I may need to increase the dosage since it isn't as effective anyway (but of course I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require more medication). My Doctor's explanation had something to do with sensors in the stomach and said she had seen this before, especially with high-carb diets. Like ilaugh noted, I get it worse the more I eat but I still get it even when I eat a reasonable amount of food.

You should ask your Doctor to give Atenolol a try if no one has any other suggestions. However, I have since mentioned this to 2 other Doctors and they had never heard of this condition of Atenolol helping so you may get some resistance.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Inactive

MariaS HB User
I've often experienced the same feeling after meals. In fact, I used to have a really terrible fullness in the left side of my chest after I ate a meal, no matter how small or big (though it did increase in severity with the size of the meal).

Anyway, I recently learned that your stomach is on the left side, which would coincide with my full feeling, and the anxiety I experienced because of it.
Since then, the anxiety after a meal has decreased by about 80%, but I also have to mention that I have stopped eating all white crap (white bread, rice, pasta) as well as other bad carbs like potatoes.
I'm currently taking Celexa, and even though it's helped with my general panic and anxiety, it never had any effect on the after meal problem. The only thing that worked was a change in diet, and understanding that the full feeling was cause by my stomach, and had nothing to do with my heart not functioning properly.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that hypoglycemia is VERY often missed by glucose tests, as most are not done right. If you search on the net for "hypoglycemia, natural health, panic attacks" or something similar, many resources will come up on the subject.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 PM   #6

IgneousAscender HB User
I get the same feelin too..A real dizzy,shaky feeling..Usually when I eat at restaurants and I eat food that is high in carbs.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #7

nostrings HB User
Well, at least we know there are 5 of us in the world that experience this. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-15-2003, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
Does anyone feel anxious when they are eating.? To me that is the worst. Sometimes if I am feeling anxious as soon as i sit down to eat, my breathing goes off and i feel like it is hard to swallow. Then as soon as I tell myself to relax the breathing goes back to normal and I am fine..I could be really hungry but if I am feeling anxious, I can't eat.......bride527

Old 11-15-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Inactive

Fighter HB User
The same thing happens with me Bride....It's just some sort of weird thing....sometimes I stand and eat...lol
anyway you're not alone, it sounds like you got the right approach by calming yourself down...good luck.. fighter

Closed Thread