It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive

MariaS HB User
Kava and antidepressants: please help.

Hello everyone,

I know some of you on these boards have some knowledge about natural remedies for anxiety, and I was wondering if anyone knew if kava is safe to take with antidepressants.

I am currently taking 20 mg of Celexa daily, and I've read some sources that say it's ok, some that say it's not, and some that just plainly don't know. I know kava is really not recommended with benzos, but since antidepressants don't act as sedatives, I wouldn't see it as a problem.

Does anyone know?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Inactive

Forrester HB User
I am not a doctor but I have heard it is not good to mix herbs with prescription medication. I have also heard things about kava, I can't remember what, something negative, that makes people not take it anymore. does anyone remember? I've never taken kava kava. Hopefully others will know. So the Celexa isn't enough? I would get another psychiatric consult if it does not seem to be working. It's such a crapshoot to get the right drug to do the trick.

Hopefully someone else on this board will help you, but I would think it would be too risky to take herbs and prescription meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Inactive

Fighter HB User
I am no doctor either, but I can tell you this....there have been a very small number of people who developed liver problems with kava related products..They dont know if it's from the kava itself or something else..Also most of the people were elderly and were taking much more than they should. According to a medical doctor he stated taking kava twice a week is plenty safe, he also pointed out that acetaminophen(tylenol) is the leading cause of accute liver failure in america, so it goes to show that it's as safe if not safer than tylenol...The FDA doesnt like the herb industry too much so when there's ANYTHING possibly controversial they like to play the power and say they need to do studies on it before it can continue being sold....which can be good but they generally never come back after they've been pulled...

As for myself I just bought a bottle because I know it works well for anxiety....as for mixing it with antidepressants Im not sure although there is a website that answers all kinds of questions like that according to a medical doctor on that sight...He also pointed out that the island where the plant comes from, the locals drink it as tea there entire life without out any reports of problems.... anyway Im not sure which site it was but if you just simply type in kava kava into a search you should be able to find it somewhere in the top 10 listings....take care and good luck. Fighter

Closed Thread