It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
Inactive

Forrester HB User
"Adrenalin surges" that wake you up continuously during the night?

Can anyone relate? I had adrenalin surges (that's what I call them) every hour last night while trying to sleep, they woke me up every hour. I have been taking .25 mg or even less of Klonopin for a month and a half now before bed, and I did not take it before bed last night (I want to wean off of it, I thought it would be okay since it's such a small dose anyway), but apparently it wasn't okay. I already had it down to the tiniest piece, I can't cut the pill any more. trying to actually not take it is creating problems, and i have to sleep. I also have some Ambien that I could take. I dont take it that often.

More info: I just weaned off of ineffective Paxil and am beginning Effexor (have only been on it for two weeks, just increased the dosage a couple of days ago). Also, I'm starting a new temp job monday-maybe I'm nervous?

I usually only have GAD-gener. anx. disorder. What are these adrenalin surges? Could they be panic attacks? It was this dreadful "oh my gosh I forgot something" adrenalin surges that made me jump up and check the clock every hour and then at the end, every fifteen minutes.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted now, and don't feel like going out of the house, which is bad because I'm too isolated anyway.

Does anyone know what these sleep disturbances could be? I usually have insomnia but not every hour. THanks.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: "Adrenalin surges" that wake you up continuously during the night?

many anxiety sufferers have sleep problems and theres no easy answer,all sleeping pills all eventually stop working

more exercise to tire you before bed should help, maybe you need more klonapin for a while, it lasts about 4 hours

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
Inactive

Forrester HB User

Thanks for replying

I would increase the Klonopin, but I'm worried about dependence on it.

I do wish there were an easy answer, dont you? I wish they would invent an antianxiety drug and a sleep aid that does not make you dependent upon it. In my opinion, antidepressants are not as dependent (but then again, I'm not a doctor and I know it's all relative). Maybe in future years.....

P.s. what type of exercise do you do? My anxiety is so high right now (with ever-present chronic depression) that I can't even get dressed to go out of the house. Interested in what you do for exercise or some ideas. thanks.

Last edited by Forrester; 11-29-2003 at 12:37 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: "Adrenalin surges" that wake you up continuously during the night?

Forrester,
I know all about lack of sleep and my eyes are red and I'm tired! I can usually get about 4-6 hours a night. Six hours isn't too bad really, but I might wake up a few times before it's finally time to get up. Some nights are worse than that. Insomnia! If I have a hard time getting back to sleep it's because I start thinking about something irritating and then I am so awake I might as well get up. I don't know if I classify mine as adrenaline surges, but you might as well call them that.

I have taken Clonazepam many times in the past and always went off it ok. Or maybe I should say without any major withdrawal symptoms. Of course getting too sleep and staying asleep is a little harder without it. Have you ever taken Benadryl (or a store brands equivalent)? Antihistimines make you sleepy, but here again they last about 4 hours. How about Melatonin? That's a natural sleep aid that your own body produces and you can buy the timed released pill too.

It sounds like your anxious about something, maybe work. Like someone else mentioned it can help if you were to excersise. Excercising can help relax your muscles. Unfortunately I'm not an excersise nut or perhaps I could benefit from that too. How long have you been on Klonopin? Did your doctor say it's time to go off it? If you can easily get it I would take it until perhaps you feel more comfortable on your new job. I was taking it for about 6 months at one time. But you know it's always better if you can do without.

Another med that helped me sleep good was Trazadone, but it did nothing for my depression. Then again I have tried about 24+ meds in that area. I have had no success with A.D.'s. But anxiety meds (Klonopin and others) have always helped and they work fast. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your zzz's. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 11-29-2003 at 06:28 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
Inactive

Forrester HB User

Thanks, Mission Void. Oh yeah you reminded me about Benadryl. THat's worked before. I took melatonin at one time, but dont know about its long term effects so I stopped taking it (not that I know the long term effects of any of the drugs I'm taking but I read something about if you take melatonin too much it shrinks your pineal gland or something like that?).

It's hard to get me to exercise when I'm feeling like a depressed lump, all unshowered, even though i know it will help. Ever since the anxiety got real bad 3-4 months ago, I have not been able to exercise (plus, it got cold outside-but I know I can always exercise indoors). i know it's like a catch-22, I need to exercise to help lessen anxiety/depression but feel too anxious/depressed to exercise. Hopefully I'll get off my duff soon. I've done other stuff today like meditation, prog musc relaxation, deep breathing.

I've been on Klonopin for a month and a half. Last week I was able to lightly taper off of it for 12 hours and didn't feel horribly bad anxiety, but last night was different, probably because have a new temp job on Monday. Thank God it's almost Monday. I don't like these feelings. I hope I won't have too many new temp jobs, that a perm one will come soon so I don't have to keep getting reintroduced and create more anxiety.

The psychiatrist just put me on Effexor and I've been taking it almost 2 weeks now, and he said after two weeks to increase the Effexor dose and go off of the Klonopin, so I've been tapering off. He said that Effexor should help with the anxiety so I shouldn't need the Klonopin. He also said, though, that Effexor takes 2-4 weeks to work. I figure the Effexor probably hasn't started working yet, so when I try to go off of Klonopin, nothing is there to help with my anxiety (no meds, I mean-I do some stuff on my own). Perhaps you are right and I should take tiny doses of Klonopin to get through the week. I don't want to lose sleep during the week.

so you can relate huh? I guess a lot of people with anxiety can relate.

I remember I was allergic to Trazodone (rash and breathing probs). Too bad because there aren't too many choices, well not in my opinion.

Really appreciate you replying to me. I hope you get some sleep too.

It seems like you don't need to be on meds allthe time; you just periodically take Klonopin?

Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User

Forrester,
New jobs temp or perm always caused anxiety in me too. New job, new people, new surroundings, you name it. Hope you get that permanent job soon. Besides you should also get more money coming in over those temp jobs.

I haven't taken Klonopin in months. Went through a long period without since the doctor wouldn't give it to me because I was drinking beer. I don't even drink that much, but that's the way it was with them. Sort of frustrating. I was going through a bad period and couldn't get it. Once I had to go to a Green Oaks Hospital (basically an emergency hospital) and talk to one of their doctors. Only got a 3 week supply plus one refill.

I've made an appointment with a new clinic for December 11th to try a different anti-depressant and to hopefully get a prescription for Klonopin. I have to go to court in early January and waiting till then is causing anxiety. It's downtown and I haven't driven downtown in over 12 years. Yes I live a big city and that is no fun. I cringe just thinking about it. Plus the holidays don't help. I'm ready for the first of the year. Holidays I can do without. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 12-01-2003 at 07:40 PM.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:00 AM   #7
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

I went through the same thing all last week, going to bed at 11pm and waking up by 3am feeling like I was going to have a nervous breakdown . . . unfortunately it was back to work this morning so just as soon as I fell back asleep (maybe 5am) the stupid alarm went off for work. Partly I just started Wellbutrin 2 weeks ago so that might be causing the sleeplessness, but also all of my worries . . . I can't drive my car 'cause it needs new brakes and we have no $s for it, PLUS my husband's 2 back teeth need to be pulled and he's in constant pain and we have no $s for that. He has basic medical insurance from the state but no dental insurance. I am so angry and disgusted that I work full-time plus 10 hours commuting time a week and we are POOR POOR POOR . . . people on welfare probably live better than I do. (They get better medical coverage and they get a discount on renting that I don't get.)

Old 12-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #8

Mrs. Squirrel HB User

HI Forrester,

Yes, I can relate to the adrenaline surges. I thought I was the only one who has experienced those!!! I sometimes call them power-surges. I don't know if you are male or female, but I have wondered if they were pre-menopause related, although since my anxiety has lowered I haven't had those any more (knock on wood). They are really a weird feeling when they happen.

Did you know that klonopin can cause depressive feelings? I found that out the hard way - it made my depression worse. The amount you are taking is very small though. My opinion is that you stay on it until your effexor kicks in - then decrease the klonopin. You are on such a small dose and once you feel better from the effexor it will be easy to wean yourself off of it.

I have never taken the effexor but it is suppose to help with anxiety, so give it time and keep in contact with your doctor - you might need to adjust the dosage of the effexor (with dr.'s permission of course) until you get it tweaked.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:26 PM   #9

PJG HB User

Adrenaline surges are an anxiety symptom and also a peri-menopause symptom. About 3 years ago I began to have severe surges of adrenaline. I live on a hill and when I would drive down the hill it felt as though I were on a roller coaster. I decided I wasn't going to let the adrenaline disrupt my life. The anxiety has done enough of that. So I decided to just go with the feelings and not let them scare me. After about 3 weeks they went away. I still get them occasionally. Also for sleeping, try taking 400 mg. of magnesium. It worked like a charm for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Squirrel
HI Forrester,

Yes, I can relate to the adrenaline surges. I thought I was the only one who has experienced those!!! I sometimes call them power-surges. I don't know if you are male or female, but I have wondered if they were pre-menopause related, although since my anxiety has lowered I haven't had those any more (knock on wood). They are really a weird feeling when they happen.

Did you know that klonopin can cause depressive feelings? I found that out the hard way - it made my depression worse. The amount you are taking is very small though. My opinion is that you stay on it until your effexor kicks in - then decrease the klonopin. You are on such a small dose and once you feel better from the effexor it will be easy to wean yourself off of it.

I have never taken the effexor but it is suppose to help with anxiety, so give it time and keep in contact with your doctor - you might need to adjust the dosage of the effexor (with dr.'s permission of course) until you get it tweaked.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
Adrenaline surges are an anxiety symptom and also a peri-menopause symptom. About 3 years ago I began to have severe surges of adrenaline. I live on a hill and when I would drive down the hill it felt as though I were on a roller coaster. I decided I wasn't going to let the adrenaline disrupt my life. The anxiety has done enough of that. So I decided to just go with the feelings and not let them scare me. After about 3 weeks they went away. I still get them occasionally. Also for sleeping, try taking 400 mg. of magnesium. It worked like a charm for me.
Hi! what does these adrenaline surges feel like? I have been having "anxiety" supposingly associated with peri-meno for the past 4 months. Last night, I woke up suddenly feeling this sensation or jitteryness throughout my arms mostly and my legs mostly. Like your nerves are shaking inside. It seems more bad when I am laying down vs. staying up. It went on for several hours. I get these symptoms on/off during the day too but not as intense. I also have a low appetite and lost weight. I just started taking 12.5 mg of Paxil for a week now and am to take Ativan when I need it.

Molly

Old 12-19-2003, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Molly,
I have many of your symptoms. I just started paxil 12.5 cr yesterday. I am tired today, but slept little last night. I have been sleeping little since before the paxil. I take ativan as needed also.

I get sort of a wave going thru my body at times at night or day if I am laying down. I think I would call them an adrenaline surge. Its like a wave going thru my body almost like I can feel it in my blood. Its a horrible feeling.

I am 43 and not in menopause, but maybe peri maybe also.

I also have lost my appetite and lost weight. I never had this before and other than this health problem, never had anxiety. My mucles also ache.

I get an internal tremor vibration feeling all day and most of the night when I wake up. Ativan helps a little with that.

All this started with a swallowing problem ( whch as been long resolved) while on vacation with my family in August. Symtpoms started escalating in Sept and here I am.

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-19-2003 at 10:46 AM.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Sillyme03,

Wow! Finally found someone who is going through something like I am! Now I know I'm not alone! I started taking Paxil a week ago and felt an immediate "lift off the edge". I don't have any other side effects (thank goodness, knock on wood!) I felt really good and took very very little Ativan the first 4 days (.25 mg maybe 2-3X a day at the most). Then the past 2 days, I had to increase the Ativan. I don't know if it was some rush work stuff that made me stressed/anxious or what, but I felt like crap. My doc said if I use more Ativan as time goes by, he might have to increase my dosage of the Paxil. He wants me to take it a month first.

Even tho you are 43, you can be going through peri-meno symptoms, especially if this came on suddenly...it can start as early your 30's even. It doesn't mean you are actually going into menopause.

So, this is this "Adrenalin surge" or sensation the same thing as anxiety? It actually feels like I worked out and "felt the burn" - the hands get kind of warm, my arms more often now than my legs. Do you think we are being treated the right way? Love to hear back from you. How long have you felt this way?

Molly

Old 12-20-2003, 05:21 AM   #13
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi Molly

I wish I new how to use this private message thing, I would love to talk to you more.

How did they find out it was peri menopause that is causing this. How old are you? did they run tests? If so what kind etc,

I don't think you get the" adrenaline rush" thing all the time, I sometimes get it sometimes not. I am still not sure what is causing all of this for me. I am not 100% sure its anxiety because I was not anxious about anything on vacation. Of course I am anxioius about what I have and why I feel so bad and shaky etc.

Today is my third day of paxil cr. I felt tired yesterday ( more than usual). I am still shaky, try not to use too much ativan. I am also a little nauseous. Not too bad.

I am still planning to go to a clinic in ohio in January just to be sure.

Let me know how you feel etc.

Silvia

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-20-2003 at 05:23 AM.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Silvia-
Don't how to do this private message thing either. Pretty new here.
Haven't been tested for meno because I still am getting my period even though they are irregular. I don't think you get tested for meno until you haven't had your period for 12 months. I am 50 years old and it is almost a given that when you're around this age there is definite hormone fluctuations going on. Some women start earlier and symptoms are different for everyone that's what makes it so hard to figure out.

I didn't get tested for peri-meno. I did get my FSH tested by my thyroid dr. who said it was just peri-meno stage. Told me to start taking Estroven. I did get a lot of blood work done to see if there was anything else going on because I was tired, jittiery, jelly legs, no appetite. Everything came back normal.

My sister who works for a detox center talked to a women dr. there would said what I was experiencing was peri-meno symptoms. She has the same symptoms. Said that the Ativan was good to treat anxiety for short-term but it was best that I try Paxil CR and wean off of Ativn eventually. I called my GP and told him and he prescribed it to me a week ago. He is in agreement that it is probably peri-meno because of my age.

Let's just say, if what you are going through comes and goes and it has been months and it just won't go away and there's no situation that happened to cause you anxiety, you are probably going some hormone changes too. You should get your thyroid tested too. I noticed this adrenline rush thing in my arms just came on this past 2 weeks or so. Does your arms get kind of warm like? Joint and muscle pain and pins and needle like feelings are peri-meno/meno related too.

There are lots of symptoms you can get while in peri-meno. Search the Internet and you'll be amazed. When I was in my 40's I never thought I would be going through what I am now. I can TOTALLY relate to how you are anxious to know how and why you are feeling the way you do. I was doing the exact same thing...dwelling on it a lot. All it does it gets you more anxious and you end up like me - having GAD. You get so focused on it that nothing else matters. I am trying really hard not to think about it anymore but it is hard when you are feeling bad. It is also so easy to say too. The Paxil helped me get a little more focused on doing things again. I have to accept it is peri-meno because there is nothing else going on.

Take your Paxil at night if you feel tired. You are suppose to take it the same time everyday once you establish the time. Take the Ativan in conjunction with it if you feel anxious. What .mg are you taking? I am taking .25 mg or .5 mg of Ativan whenever I need it. I don't go over 1.5 mg a day. I write down how i feel each day and keep track of what I take. My sister "yells" at me to put me in my place. If you have women friends who are older, talk to them. It might help but keep in mind that not everyone has the same thing.

What is this clinic in Ohio?

Molly

Old 12-20-2003, 09:04 AM   #15
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi Molly
Maybe someone who knows how to do the private message thing will help us.

I will be going to the Cleveland Clinic in OH. Good reputation, hope they can help me. They are good, and since I am not sure what I have, I just want to make sure its not some physical problem they have not found here. I am in NJ, but rural area, not alot of good hospitals or even specialists. If they tell me there is nothing physically wrong with me, I will know its anxiety or peri-meno maybe or both.

I cut my .5mg ativan tablets to 1/2 or mostly 1/4. I take one piece usuall a day two pieces if bad day, if I can I try to go without it, but it really helps with the shakes.

I am really not anxious about anything at all but this disease. Good life in general ( not perfect of course) good hubby, 3 kids, yes they can drive me nuts, but normal stuff. This all started in august while on vacation. Had a feeling of food stuck in throat, Went away when I took prevacid for 2 weeks, but never got appetite back at all.
I have alwasy been 10-25 pounds overweight. Not anymore.

5 years ago my mom who lived with us and helped me raise my kids had a massive stroke, I had to put her in a nursing home after trying to take care of her and 3 kdis. She is paralyzed on the right side. I never lost my appetite or had these symptoms then. I cried like a fool etc, even was mildly depressed, very upset etc. But I still ate.

My dad died in 89 when I was 2 weeks pregnant with my first, again, very upset, cried, but did not have anxiety or lose my appetite then.

So why now out of the blue?

If its peri-meno maybe something will help.

I still get my periods, they are heavier.

My mom went thru menopause very late, almost 60, so if I have to go thru this for 17 years I don't know what I will do

By the way, my symptoms are all the time, the adrenaline surges come and go but the shakes, tremors, muscle aches, loss of appetite has been daily since sept. I also get some tingling and numbness in my hands off and on. I wake up in the middle of the night ( can't get back to sleep) and the shakey tremor vibration feeling is there all the time.

Had my thyroid tested, came back normal.

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-20-2003 at 09:07 AM.

Closed Thread