It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

Shy One HB User
Question Xanax Vs. Zoloft

I've had social anxiety disorder all my life and have never been on any medication for it. I'm 19 years old and just went to my doctors because I really can't live like this anymore. Anyways, She prescribed me xanax but my mom doesn't like the idea of xanax for some reason. She says there are side effects. I'd rather be on xanax because i've taken it before recreationally (I don't want to tell her that) She would rather me be on Zoloft. People with social anxiety disorder, which would you prefer and why? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Xanax Vs. Zoloft

i have been on both and am on just xanax now. i have not been on both at the same time but here is what i know. xanax is VERY addictive. more so than anything i have experienced. as you know because you have taken it is that it makes you feel great, mellows you out. that is what you think "normal" should feel like. the problem is that it is a quick fix. it doesn;t actually repair the nerve endings in the brain that are not working or working incorrectly. zoloft tries to corect these imbalances, trying to fix the problem from the core, not tape it up like xanax. i personally wish i could live on xanax forever, i have an illness anxiety by the way, but i can't. in fact i am supposed to start back on zoloft after years of not being on anything. i started the xanax recently becaus ethe anxiety snuck up on me again. i wish i didn't have to take anything, and if you can i would try to stay away from the xanax as it really only adds complication to the disorder as you become reliant on it to survive. read the addiction and recovery board, lots of people on xanax there. good luck hun, be careful.

also, see the panic disorder board, there is a cool guy named sickman on there that can better answer.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I've taken both.
My personal opinion...and this is my opinion only...is that I would never touch Zoloft again.
The chemical imbalance thing is only a theroy, no one knows for sure what causes this...remember I'm not a Doctor, but have been told by more than one about the chemical imbalance thing being a theory only.
Even the Zoloft ads themselves say something like..."Although the cause of social anxiety is unknow it MAY BE caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain."

Addiction and Dependence are two different things, Xanax doesn't cause addiction it causes dependence or tolorance...in some people, not all people.

I took Xanax everyday of my life for seven years...I took a very low dose...1/4MG twice a day.
Never felt like I "Had" to have it and never felt the need to take more and I never relied on it....but everyone is different, I had no problems at all, but some people do.
Like I said I would never touch Zoloft again, but some people have great success with it.

I don't have panic attacks anymore and am in the process of weaning off of it...something that you have to do...you should never just stop taking any of these drugs cold turkey.
I'm having no problems at all with the weaning.

I won't get into your reactional use of Xanax, I'm not here to judge people.

This is just a suggestion, but it's what my Doctor told me.
He said just because the bottle said I could take up to 1MG a day, didn't mean I HAD to take 1MG a day.
He said if I could take less, that was great...but to NEVER under any circumstances to take more.

Yes, Xanax has side effects but so does Zoloft.
Actually any of the SSRI's or Benzo's do.

In the end however you decided to handle this disorder is up to you.
Just research it and then make the decision for yourself.

Remember I'm not a Doctor, this is just my opinion and my opinion only.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Because of the addiction risk of Xanax, my vote is for Zoloft.

I personally can take a xanax or two and then go for weeks without needing another. BUT, if you skim the posts on the addiction board, you'll quickly see that ALOT of people have gotten addicted to it. Addiction is not a problem that I want in my life.

Yes, Zoloft affects the brain's neurotransmitters and yes, the mechanism is not well-understood. The same is true for the benzodiazepines.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

xanax is not at all addictive to most anxiety sufferers, its only addictive to those who have addictive type peosonalities, xanax should only be taken as needed, frequently its not needed every day
zoloft is a prozac type med that needs to be taken daily and often reduces anxiety by another method,both meds are often taken together

Old 01-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Unhappy Re: Xanax Vs. Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy One
I've had social anxiety disorder all my life and have never been on any medication for it. I'm 19 years old and just went to my doctors because I really can't live like this anymore. Anyways, She prescribed me xanax but my mom doesn't like the idea of xanax for some reason. She says there are side effects. I'd rather be on xanax because i've taken it before recreationally (I don't want to tell her that) She would rather me be on Zoloft. People with social anxiety disorder, which would you prefer and why? Thanks.
Dear Shy One,
I just happened across this post today so I thought I would give you an opinion of course. First of all I will ask a question that I already know the answer to. Did you tell your Doctor that you had used xanax as a recreational drug in the past? Your Doctor can not successfully help you if you are not honest with him or her. You may think that xanax is the answer right now because it works so well for just about anything and also for recreation. I could go into about 3000 words describing xanax, and other benzos but with you this would be a waste of time already. A person that takes xanax needs to be one that wishes they did not have to take anything, not one that may desire it. Your condition needs to be more then social anxiety and you have to be willing to manage at a safe dosage, even suffer though bad times without the thought that you need to increase your dosage. I guess what I am saying is that the prime candidate for xanax is one that fears upping the medication as much as not taking the dosage that they first level out on. You are playing with fire and xanax is way to powerful a drug for just social anxiety disorder. My opinion on a medication for you would be something on the order of prozac other then zoloft but that is just my opinion. I am not trying to be mean to you, I am trying to give you a chance not to be on medication for the rest of your life. You need to be honest with you Doctor so he can do his job and you don't end up with the biggest regret you could have. You have no idea where you are heading with this. Think about this very carefully, you can decieve yourself and everyone else and it can become a living hell, or you can be honest with yourself and everyone else and live again. Your choice, be smart or be doomed. Sorry to be so negative but I'm not going to cut you any slack on something that I live with and you don't even want to go there. This is not a question of medictaion at all here to me, this is a question of doing right or doing wrong. Most people your age don't want to listen until they get into something so deep they can't get out, it is your choice. I hope you are mature enough to make the right one.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Closed Thread