It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 03:48 AM   #1
(male)

Soodle HB User
Breathing problems

Does anyone else experience problems breathing with anxiety (not necessarily during a panic attack). Can muscle tension actually cuasue you to feel short of breath - like your not getting enough air?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #2

mandi-deg HB User
Re: Breathing problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soodle

Does anyone else experience problems breathing with anxiety (not necessarily during a panic attack). Can muscle tension actually cuasue you to feel short of breath - like your not getting enough air?
what kind of breathing problems exactly. when taking a deep breath do you not get enough air? I am going through something like it right now. I infact, just called my doctor. I lately have been feeling short of breath but not when I take a deep breath just normal breathing. I just woke up ten minutes ago and I was dreaming I couldn't breathe. That scared me but the phone woke me up and now I am freaking out. Let me know. I know it is normal to feel short of breath while having an anxiety attack or even just thinking about it. Well hang in there and let me know how you are feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Yes, it can. My sister has anxiety attacks where she has the feeling she can't breath. She even wakes up in the middle of the night that way. She has been checked out by a doctor and there is nothing wrong physically. Best to be checked out by a doctor to rule out anything serious.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #4

mandi-deg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7799
Yes, it can. My sister has anxiety attacks where she has the feeling she can't breath. She even wakes up in the middle of the night that way. She has been checked out by a doctor and there is nothing wrong physically. Best to be checked out by a doctor to rule out anything serious.
Is your sister breathing lightly or deep? I feel like i am getting it breathing lightly.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #5

Mandy79pa HB User

Hey Everyone,

I took have the problem when i am in an attack that i can't breath. Deep breaths mostly i feel like i can't get a good decent healthy deep breath. When i am not in an attack, i also sometimes find myself air hungry. I've been checked by my doctor who said my lungs and so forth are healthy. That is the part that freaks me out the most, not being able to breath. My thearapist said next session which is this thursday we are going to go over some breathing excersises. So hopefully that will help. If i get any paper work that explains i will post if you want.

Mandy

Old 02-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

debbiep HB User

In my experiennce I have read that many people with anxiety attacks shallow breath. They only use the top part of the lung. It is also said that in some attacks you can restrict muscles in the oesophagus tube when tense BUT you will never stop breathing. This is where you must LEARN to relax and deep breathing. Quick ,shallow breaths is what turns the body into a panic. I also think that it can help to deep breath into a paper bag ,itis a good idea for some when at home....goodluck but do more research on breathing.....!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #7

beebsqtip HB User

I get like this all the time. Its not just after a panic attack. I have this feeling at least every couple days and it lasts for a couple days. Exspecially when eating. I even at one time thought my lung got over abused by it, becuase my lung felt like it was strained from all of the deep breathing i've been trying to do. I never felt like I had a full breath. My lungs sometimes it feels like the nerves are being pinched. I even checked with the doc. about it he couldn't find anything wrong with me. He said he didn't want to rule it out and just say its all stress, but he said that most likely it is. So the answer to the questions is yes even when not having a attack you can have the same symptoms besides the actually attack.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #8

Dmhr HB User

Hi! I had my first anxiety problems starting about 2 months ago. It was at the end of a bad cold and all of a sudden I thought I was going to suffocate. It is a horrible, horrible feeling. Anyway, I've done this since about 3 times. It usually lasts about 2 nights and three days. I have to go to work and try to act normal and the nights are the worse! I'm feeling good now, but I try not to think about it much or I can really get panicky and think I can't breathe. Donna

Old 02-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
(female)

debbiep HB User

yes breathing is a big issue with panic attacks or any anxiety or stress. All our muscles become tense and that puts pressure on different parts of our bodies,ex lungs ,throat, shoulders, neck and abdominal muscles including stomach ,are all effected . I think I read its because the oxygen get restriced from the muscles because of the shallow breathing. I used to get pain where my lund was and felt I could never take a deep breath but now that my anxiety attacks have settle a little I feel the differents in my deep breaths . Its so hard to explain .I think it all comes natural after you relax but its finding that relaxed state. Sometimes we think we are relaxed because we loosen our tense shoulders etc but the body takes longer because it wait tillthe mind is relaxed then the body follow. Its a hard one but worth research...takecare again debbiep

Old 02-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

I had this problem last year and it lasted for months and months. I just felt like I could never get a good breath. I saw a biofeedback therapist and worked on relaxation exercises for a long time and the breathing problems went away.

--CarrieLynn

Old 02-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #11

ozenne HB User

I do experience that with my anxiety. Sometimes I won't even realize that I'm anxious until the breathing problems kick in. I feel like something is tightening in my chest and across my throat, and I get dizzy, feeling like I can't breathe properly. To help this pass I focus on taking deep, steady breaths from my stomach. It helps.
I don't know if this is the same kind of problem you are experiencing.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #12

Jordie HB User

I go through periods when I feel I can't get enough air in. They often last for a few weeks. The last time it happened I ended up at the docs, and got a lung xray, and did a breathing tests, and results were fine. I'm going through it again now, and have been for a couple of weeks. Also, when I'm walking and talking to somebody, I get very breathless.

I know I've been shallow breathing, it's true that those with anxiety shallow breath. I once had a reiki massage, and she asked me if I always breathe that shallow.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:54 AM   #13

americansage HB User
Lightbulb Re: Breathing problems

Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome

Do you have the follow symptoms (not all inclusive):

"air hunger"
"feel like breathing through a straw or get enough air"
"chest tight or hurts"
"back muscles hurt or tight"
"rapid breathing"
"dizzy"
"panicky"
"deep breath attempts just stop"
"sigh alot or yawn alot to get satisfying breath"
"when you do get a deep breath satisfaction only last a few minutes"
"lump in the throat"
"chest muscles and back muscles feel tired"

If you have seen lots of doctors and they do not know what is wrong with you because all the tests say your normal or they say you suffering from stress and give you medication or tell you to see a psychiatrist. Ask them about CHS. Many doctors do not know about CHS because as you can see the above symptoms can also be a result of more serious conditions and it is difficult to diagnose CHS. There is even some argument CHS actually exists, but it is very real for those of us that suffer from it. You are not crazy. Google Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome and you will see it is a real condition with some real treatment options. I have not pursued any of the treatment options b/c I think I can lick this myself since I know what I have now. Knowledge is half the battle. I searched for 2 years for an answer and finally a way out. Good luck. Hopefully this helps.
american sage

Closed Thread