It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 08:47 PM   #1

Mandy79pa HB User
Very Vivid Terrible dreams?

Hey Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else had vivid nightmares? I had a nightmare so bad the other night, i just keep pondering on what it ment. In the dream i got shot in my side, and nobody in my family would take me to the hospital, i was bleeding pretty bad, and it was just really terrible? that is freaky and freaked me out. anyone else get this????

Mandy

Old 02-27-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Very Vivid Terrible dreams?

these sort of dreams seem to happen to everyone, some meds such as antidepressants can cause strong dreams

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Yes, I've had horrible ones for five years. Sometimes they are so bad that I get sick and vomit. If you find yourself thinking about them past the morning, try music, movies, or anything that will involve your interest, like books, and take your mind off of them. I used to remember them, but I've since resolved to forget them and that's exactly what I do...so I just let them pass and this way they do not bother me past morning. I've decided that dreams do not "mean" anything and this knowledge has helped me a great deal. They are not symbolic. I don't buy into the Freudian concepts, and anyone who had my dreams would not either. They are not the product of your mind resolving problems or any of that B.S. They mean nothing (with the exception of precognition). I think our bodies can tell us that something is going wrong in them, caused either by illness or medications, and in this sense they can "mean" something. From what I've read, and people I've spoken to about it, it can be caused by illness, medications, spirits, or post traumatic stress. Let me know if you find out what causes yours.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #4

Mandy79pa HB User

Thanks for the reply, maybe mine's post traumatic stress. I had a car accident back in september, i wasn't seriously hurt but my anxiety/panic really kicked in majorly after that. I don't know really but your words where helpful and i'll try that.. thanks so much

Mandy

Old 02-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #5

FraidofMeds HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy79pa
Hey Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else had vivid nightmares? I had a nightmare so bad the other night, i just keep pondering on what it ment. In the dream i got shot in my side, and nobody in my family would take me to the hospital, i was bleeding pretty bad, and it was just really terrible? that is freaky and freaked me out. anyone else get this????

Mandy
I also have had horrible dreams. Often they include mutilation, murder, dismembered bodies. All sorts of horrible things and they play out like movies. Many times I wake up in the middle of the night several times soaked in sweat and heart racing. One thing that helps me cope is to create an alternate ending to my nightmare. Like once I was sitting in the theater and stepped on a dismembered body in my dream. Everyone parted around me in shock and I was like what? what? looked down and saw I was stepping on a cut off breast, looked around and saw arms legs and the head with a horrible expression. I couldn't even bear to look at it in my dream and only saw it through perhipheral vision. When I woke up I applied a technique called "freeze frame" and thought about something I appreciated in life that gives me comfort and breathed slowly then created an alternate ending in my head. I replayed the dream in my head then imagined the lights going on in the theater with some studio theater prop guy who was laughing carrying a box and started yelling " alright who the hell threw these props everywhere " and proceeded to pick up the body parts and put em in a box. by changing the ending in your mind it makes it less intense. Another time I dreamt I strangled my grandmother to death with one of those string things. To lessen the intensity it had on me I created the alternate ending of the string snapping and imagined her saying to me silly boy why did you wrap candy string around me? and had her proceed to playfully eat the candy string with me. Dunno sounds kinda lame but it helps me alot. I read about this technique on a sleep insomnia board on the net somewhere.

In my opinion dreams are not totally meaningless and they DO represent some things happening in a persons life. For example when I found out my mom had a serious illness in real life that night I had some violent dreams with her in it. When my sister broke up with her long time boyfriend I had dreams of her driving around in circles in a parking lot with nowhere to go. So dreams do have something to do with things that you think or go through in your waking life. But horrible dreams dont mean that you are horrible or want to do horrible things. I think if you're emotionally troubled, then your current emotional state comes through in your dreams in some form but we can't take the dreams literally. I think that troubled emotions when a person is awake still continue on when we're asleep except when awake our rational mind filters these emotions and makes em come out in our thoughts one way that makes sense to our waking minds but when asleep they come out randomly and in broad general unfocused ways.

Old 02-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran

KayT HB User

I also have very strange, mixed up, horrible dreams...........and when I wake up I feel awful..............I have always done this........but they seem more strange and wake me up with a jolt since I have been tapering off SSRIs and changing things so much........

Kaytee

Old 02-28-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: Very Vivid Terrible dreams?

Mandy, I respect what other people say, BUT dreams can and do have meanings in the real world. I will say this. Taking medications, eating certain foods (probably late at night), being ill, seeing something disturbing, violence, death, blood and gore. And there are more. Can cause some people to have nightmares. Most might be meaningless, but some can have true meanings, especially if you have those dreams repeated night after night.

Dreams have been studied by hundreds of qualified individuals and have done years and decades of research with hundreds and thousands of volunteers. I have a dream book. These two individuals have cataloged thousands of dream symbols that volunteer subjects have participated in. After years or even decades of research all the dream symbols are collected and compared.

Their lives are closely followed perhaps for years or longer as long as they agree to keep participating. Like I stated earlier, many people may have the same dream or something very similar. Of course it's bound to happen. But some of these people have had similar circumstances happen to them after they all described similar dream symbols. ( their own stories-dreams ) This is true. It happens. It happens to me. All dreams are not just some useless entertainment. Set aside most mightmares though. Because even my own mother can have a nightmare after watching a spooky movie whereas I would eat it up and then sleep easy.

I would recommend going to a book store and buying a dream book or even two so you can compare. Learn how to use one. Look for not only the obvious symbols but look around ( in your dream ), what else do you see? Look for colors if you dream is in color. Most of the time I don't. I should have written my dreams down and kept a log. I could give you several instances that happed to me and there was truth to it. Some dreams can be warnings. Some teach us things in life that you may not be conciously aware of at the moment, but they occur.

Let me take your own dream for instance. You were shot and your parents wouldn't take you to the hospital. You were bleeding pretty bad. There may not be any connection here with you that you would recognize, rightaway, but I will tell you what I found out. Symbols: Gun, Blood, Injury. For now that's all I came up with. I don't know why your family members weren't alarmed, but hey, that's a dream for you. Is there something going on between you and your family? Anything? You don't have to answer that even if there was. None of my business.

Gun: featured in your dream forecasts an injustice either to you or to someone in your close circle, which you will have to fight hard to overcome. I believe "close circle" could be your family or friends.

Blood: in general it says if you saw blood be prepared for a period of hard work against hostile forces. If you were bleeding, try to avoid any sort of controversy with friends, family, or relatives.

Injury: a physical injury is a warning that you are surrounded by hostile forces and you must proceed very carefully in order to expose and thwart them.

Did you notice a connection between the three I had picked out? Gun-injustice. Blood-hostile forces. Injury-hostile forces.

Just thought I would share that with you. If you think it's all worthless, then you can think that. Watch what happens in your life shortly after remembering a dream, good or bad. Dreams can have good meanings as well. Write them down so you won't forget. Think about everything in the dream. There can be several figures and symbols. Write those down too. Take care.

Last edited by Mission_Void; 02-28-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #8

Mandy79pa HB User

Hey Mission,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out for me. I do believe that dreams have meaning. The gun, blood, and injury, hostile forces. hmmm i'll have to keep an eye out. As for my family, nothing major is going on except that i think i'm getting on my mom's nerves with my anxiety/panic problems. I always seem to go to her for comfort and she just doesn't know whatelse to do for me. So i think its begining to annoy her. She just wants me to snap out of it, and be my old self again. I will have to go buy a few books, that would be intresting to know the meanings, i'll also keep a log, find out the connections. I haven't had this dream again, but i will tell you a dream that when i was little i had over and over again, this is going to sound silly but I used to dream about the robots from star wars, rtd2 and the other one, i used to dream they where evil and killed everyone but me but chased me all over the place. I had that dream time and time again and to this day i can't watch star wars. But anywho i'll definately take your advice, thanks again for writing that all out for me

Mandy

Old 02-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #9

FraidofMeds HB User

If you guys wanna learn more about dreaming here's a very good site on serious dream research minus much of the airy fairy b.s. that litters the web on dreaming.

[url]http://psych.ucsc.edu/dreams[/url]

I found this article especially interesting

[url]http://psych.ucsc.edu/dreams/Library/domhoff_2000b.html[/url]

Old 03-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Inactive

prometheus HB User

thank you for your time and input, Fraid. When I spoke of meaning I meant the symbolic sort, pioneered by Freud. I agree with Freud and Jung that there is a subconscious but I do not believe dreams are symbolic. I can see how people can come to believe their dreams are symbolic when they seem disorganized and do not make any sense otherwise. All of my dreams, however, make complete sense. If there is violence in my dreams it is the product of my dreams making sense and not the reflection of inner emotional torment. It isn't like "Oops I got stabbed" or "oops I"m killing people now" but rather that killing people, or getting stabbed is a likely outcome of the unique set of events. Aside from lucid dreaming, I have little exercisable conscious control over the scenery and the situation I am in, in my dream. It really interests me the nature of dreaming. Conscious thought arises as a reaction to stimuli, whether internal, external, or internal perceived as external, except in the case of inspiration. When you dream you are fully aware and conscious, it is just that the scenery has changed. Instead of reacting to the real and present phenomenal world, you are interacting with an imaginary world, wholly created by your own mind...a story in which you are the principle character. Or is it wholly created by your own mind? I can think of reasons why it wouldn't be from my own dream experiences. For one, if it is created by my mind I shouldn't be able to be "surprised" in my dream. Everything should flow as if completely expected and I should understand everything. I shouldn't be able to misunderstand a dream character. How do you misunderstand yourself? I believe also, and have good reason to believe in the existence of "mental fields" and that these mental fields can be interfered with other "mental fields". Not to digress, yes being emotionally upset, or otherwise physically distressed, can cause your subconscious mind to create a sensory experience that is reflectively negative. I think dreams can be a reflection of internal torment. Such as if you are suffering post traumatic stress, your subconscious will imagine and project a distressing situation as your dream landscape but it is only through the interaction of your consciousness with the perceived phenomena that a dream is created, so for me, for a dream to have any "meaning" your mind would have to understand and predict the interaction between your conscious mind and the situation it has imagined.

While articles like the one you post are informative and thought provoking, they do little to help me. My nightmares are not always obviously nightmares as in the case with gore and violence, though I have quite a few of those mixed in too. Most of the time they are disturbing on a conceptual level. I won't give examples here but these are ideas and concepts that I would never imagine in my waking hours and I have trouble believing that I could imagine them at all. I realize there is a lot going on in our minds that we do not know about, otherwise psychic phenomena and the such wouldn't exist (and they do). I've had nightmares every single night for five years. They are not at all repetitive. Each one is quite unique. I figured I would run out of ideas or something, but no. The only people I know who have had chronic nightmares like this are war veterens or people during post traumatic stress. I did have a traumatic experience, however, only one dream (out of atleast 1825) so far has been of that traumatic experience, whereas (as far as I can tell) post traumatic stress sufferers often dream the experience. As far as I know I'm not tormented emotionally. I think I'm rather normal emotionally, except when I just wake up from one of these.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Mission Void I have trouble buying this. When I look through these symbolic "dream dictionaries" I see symbols that are culturally, time, and area reliant. If they are culturally, time, or area reliant than they can't belong to an objective universal human symbolic dream dictionary. Then I have to wonder how common are these social occurances such as "hostile forces" in people's lives and how common are dream experiences such as "flying" or "violent encounters". If you look for it, you will find connections.

It really wouldn't help me to write down my dreams, or pay any more attention to them. I think the best thing to do is to forget them.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-01-2004 at 06:46 PM.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #12

jeff8 HB User

Prometheus this is Fraidofmeds posting with a new screen name. The mods banned my other screen name because I guess I sounded like an advertisment for some books I'd thought would help this board oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
thank you for your time and input, Fraid. When I spoke of meaning I meant the symbolic sort, pioneered by Freud. I agree with Freud and Jung that there is a subconscious but I do not believe dreams are symbolic. I can see how people can come to believe their dreams are symbolic when they seem disorganized and do not make any sense otherwise. All of my dreams, however, make complete sense. If there is violence in my dreams it is the product of my dreams making sense and not the reflection of inner emotional torment. It isn't like "Oops I got stabbed" or "oops I"m killing people now" but rather that killing people, or getting stabbed is a likely outcome of the unique set of events.
This may be the case for you but for I believe some violent occurrences in dreams are not the direct result of any set of events that lead towards that violence. Take my dream of the chopped up bodies for example. Nothing led up to the body being chopped up. It was just there. In another dream I just saw random bodies floating in a nothingness just coming apart. It was truly random in nature. Many times between dream “sequences” I’d get random dreamlike fragments that just pop up. I even have dreams of numbers and dreams of repetition. By that I mean literally dreaming the experiencing of the concept of repetition… flashes of experience not seeing anything except just a perception of existence, then existence, then again perception of existence of being conscious over and over then back to unawareness and suddenly hallucination of my cell phone ringing when it’s not, then flashes of numbers appearing in front of a grey background then maybe a flash of a knife suspended in air.. nothing else. Then again I do have anxiety disorder, OCD, and clinical depression.

Quote:
Aside from lucid dreaming, I have little exercisable conscious control over the scenery and the situation I am in, in my dream. It really interests me the nature of dreaming. Conscious thought arises as a reaction to stimuli, whether internal, external, or internal perceived as external, except in the case of inspiration. When you dream you are fully aware and conscious, it is just that the scenery has changed. Instead of reacting to the real and present phenomenal world, you are interacting with an imaginary world, wholly created by your own mind...a story in which you are the principle character. Or is it wholly created by your own mind? I can think of reasons why it wouldn't be from my own dream experiences. For one, if it is created by my mind I shouldn't be able to be "surprised" in my dream. Everything should flow as if completely expected and I should understand everything. I shouldn't be able to misunderstand a dream character. How do you misunderstand yourself? I believe also, and have good reason to believe in the existence of "mental fields" and that these mental fields can be interfered with other "mental fields". Not to digress, yes being emotionally upset, or otherwise physically distressed, can cause your subconscious mind to create a sensory experience that is reflectively negative. I think dreams can be a reflection of internal torment. Such as if you are suffering post traumatic stress, your subconscious will imagine and project a distressing situation as your dream landscape but it is only through the interaction of your consciousness with the perceived phenomena that a dream is created, so for me, for a dream to have any "meaning" your mind would have to understand and predict the interaction between your conscious mind and the situation it has imagined.
I don’t know what you mean by “mental fields” but I am guessing that the occurrence of being surprised and puzzled at the elements in a dream are due to the ‘miscommunication’ between our comprehending mind and the sometimes random and sometimes not so random things being activated by our minds.. I think these would sometimes be just random images, and memories which are activated during sleep in wild whatever patterns. Outside of the random elements that pop up during dream state however I have had some elements in my dreams that to me reflect some things that are happening with my life at the moment. Like when I started having violent dreams involving my mother when I learned of her illness. These dreams happened the very night I learned of her problem which is strange because I can’t remember the last time I’ve ever had a dream that included my mother as a character not for years. It’s too much of a coincidence for it not to have some connection. Negative thoughts and dread about what would happen to my mother with this illness in my waking time translating to something generally negative involving my mother during dreaming. Also the other one I mentioned where my sister broke up with her long time boyfriend, I dreamed of her driving in circles in a parking lot. The reason why I had this dream was obvious, at least to me, it had to do with me worrying about her having nowhere to go. Again I haven’t dreamt about my sister for a long time and it’s too much of a coincidence for me to have a dream with those elements in it to not have any relevance with my waking thoughts and preoccupations during waking times. So by meaning maybe there’s not purpose such as my subconscious trying to tell me something… Is it symbolism? I dunno maybe, maybe not. I DO have reoccurring dreams such as being in a semi dark movie theater surrounded by strangers, being in a run down shack by the ocean while there is a storm outside. Running around in circles in a school looking for a way out. These 3 themes in my dreams have reoccurred many times throughout my life and I do not have Post Traumatic Stress disorder. If they’re not supposed to reflect some aspect of my mind state I don’t know why I keep having these reoccurring elements.

Quote:
While articles like the one you post are informative and thought provoking, they do little to help me. My nightmares are not always obviously nightmares as in the case with gore and violence, though I have quite a few of those mixed in too. Most of the time they are disturbing on a conceptual level. I won't give examples here but these are ideas and concepts that I would never imagine in my waking hours and I have trouble believing that I could imagine them at all. I realize there is a lot going on in our minds that we do not know about, otherwise psychic phenomena and the such wouldn't exist (and they do). I've had nightmares every single night for five years. They are not at all repetitive. Each one is quite unique. I figured I would run out of ideas or something, but no. The only people I know who have had chronic nightmares like this are war veterens or people during post traumatic stress. I did have a traumatic experience, however, only one dream (out of atleast 1825) so far has been of that traumatic experience, whereas (as far as I can tell) post traumatic stress sufferers often dream the experience. As far as I know I'm not tormented emotionally. I think I'm rather normal emotionally, except when I just wake up from one of these.
I don’t know about psychic phenomena but based on my personal experiences I would say more likely yes than no, but I would definitely say that people DO have reoccurring nightmares and dreams and many of them don’t have PTSD. For these folks, myself included, are they symbolic? I don’t know maybe the answer it’s sometimes yes and sometimes no. Maybe not in a way that’s described in so called dream dictionaries which I think is BS, but dream elements could have symbolism in a personal way which has relevance to the individual.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #13

Lucieanna HB User

Yes, i have these sort of dreams too. Bu tthe thing is, they dont bother me because Im almost grateful to have something else to think about over my obsession. A few nights ago I dreamed that I was running down a passageway with people hanging from ropes all around and then one of them grabbed out for my neck. That one has haunted me since then but I feel guilty that Im glad about it.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 AM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Jeff,

Yes I think people can have dreams that are disorganized, random, and do not make sense, yet are disturbing. Do I think they are symbolic? No. They may be significant and have meaning in terms of signs, being that you are distressed about something and your dreams are reflectively negative. All the brain is to me is a tuning mechanism, like the dial on a radio. When you sleep, your brain is tuning, and how much your dream makes sense depends on your brain's ability to tune into something. If it tunes into many things at once, or onto one thing but not well enough, then static will come through and parts of all the other "stations" will come through, just like on a radio. Things will appear randomly and they won't make sense but I do not think these are symbols. Signs, perhaps.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-04-2004 at 07:04 AM.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #15
Inactive

prometheus HB User

What I mean by "mental fields" is what happens when you stare at someone, and they turn around and look at you. Mental fields happen when you read someone's mind, or someone reads your mind, and can be observed in common rapport situations, and also in some more rare situations. (In dreams) I have a hard time believing that I can have an in depth philosophical conversation with myself, without being simultaneously aware of what the person is going to say. I'm aware of my replies, but not their retorts, and often times I am surprised, caught off guard, and forced to admit that I'm ..well, wrong or that I need to think about it some more. Sometimes I misunderstand what they say, and I think they mean something else, so I reply to what I think they mean and they go "no no I meant"...and that's what I mean by misunderstanding them. How do you misunderstand yourself?

The fact that I dream about things that I would otherwise not know about, except through perhaps some buried memory that I forgot I knew about, makes me consider that something else is going on, than just my mind throwing up symbolic images.

I think people can tune into their own mental fields, and dream about things that are significant to them, such as in the case of post traumatic stress-related reoccuring dreams, and sometimes there is random interference, depending on the brain's tuning ability.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-04-2004 at 07:40 AM.

Closed Thread