It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User
Treatment for Anxiety Without Weight Gain?

Has anyone had any luck in finding a treatment for anxiety that does not involve weight gain??? I've tried Paxil, Effexor, Celexa, and Zoloft. THe only one that helped significantly was the Zoloft. But it also made me gain 25 pounds or so and KILLED my sex drive.....

Wondering if anyone has tried anything else with any luck? I weaned off my Zoloft, but my anxiety is back in full swing....I know people have awesome results on WellbutrinXL for depression, but that would likely make me a walking panic attack all day.....

Old 04-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User
Re: Treatment for Anxiety Without Weight Gain?

Guess that's a "no." lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi newlywed, maybe get back on the zoloft and eat less, these antidepressants dont alter our metabolism but can reduce the amount of exercise we do and also improve our apetites

you should also get some recovery books and tapes and learn relaxation and not just rely only on meds

the sex drive is altered and some experimenting often helps

Old 04-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedgurl
Has anyone had any luck in finding a treatment for anxiety that does not involve weight gain??? I've tried Paxil, Effexor, Celexa, and Zoloft. THe only one that helped significantly was the Zoloft. But it also made me gain 25 pounds or so and KILLED my sex drive.....

Wondering if anyone has tried anything else with any luck? I weaned off my Zoloft, but my anxiety is back in full swing....I know people have awesome results on WellbutrinXL for depression, but that would likely make me a walking panic attack all day.....

Hi Newlwedgurl...
guess we are in the same boat with the panic attacks.
I was just looking for myself too...I just weaned myself off Paxil where I too gained alot of weight and freakin sex drive went down hill. I have been off Paxil for 3 weeks! But I can feel myself with anxiety..And it's only when I'm driving alone in my SUV! If I pick up a friend, NO problem...I can hit every light, traffic jam..put me in my truck alone and I'm a wreck! It started when I lost my job..Laid off...problem was we were given a 3 month notice that we would be laid off...At first I was cool with it but I don't know why I went into panic mode? I still haven't figured it out. I went to a therpist and she helped me out a bit but then I had to stop because of NO health insurance.

Maybe we can help each other out? I want to do some excerises, those breathing kind, and I want to start taking some good Vit. but don't know where to start...AND...I want to drop these 15 pounds I gained! On a good note my sex drive has IMPROVED!

Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedgurl
Guess that's a "no." lol
Far from it
The answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt). I was on meds for many years before I found cbt and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in cbt you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of cbt.

Hope this is helpful

Billy

Old 04-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
(male)

clear HB User

Very true billy7772. I gained 50 lbs on Paxil. I am now on lexapro and it seems to be much better. Paxil really screwed me up.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
Far from it
The answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt). I was on meds for many years before I found cbt and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in cbt you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of cbt.

Hope this is helpful

Billy
Hi Billy, can you please tell me more about CBT? Did you buy the book and follow it or did you also have to see someone?
Thanks.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

Wow!! Thank you all for your responses!!

I lived with my anxiety practically all of my life....mostly GAD but have plenty of touches of OCD that has never been diagnosed. Depression and anxiety apparently run in my family...something to file in the *would have been nice to know sooner* category. lol The Zoloft helped a lot, but the weight gain made me feel worse....I kinda feel stuck between a rock and a hard place though. I can either be cute and thin and anxious, or sane and pudgy. OK, I guess I'm not really pudgy, but I sure feel like I am!! I have NEVER been this heavy!!

GirlHarley, honey, I feel your pain. I've been pretty absent from our "regular" board, because I am trying so hard to get this weight off of me. Feel free to check out my post on the weight loss board. Like you, I have been off my meds for 3 weeks. Zoloft. Ugh. The one SSRI they said "LESS" likely to cause weight gain. Right......

Have been doing so much research on the internet about it.....all the clinical trials of the SSRIs were only 6 months long. These drugs were touted to even cause some weight LOSS. Now they are discovering that after the initial loss, people are steadily gaining weight without any other change in diet or exercise. It took me a while to definitively "know" it was the Zoloft. After restricting my diet and exercising regularly (which I have NEVER had to do btw) I STILL wasn't losing any weight....in fact, I kept gaining!! They are also learning that the weight is pretty stubborn and VERY hard to get off....something I also have never dealt with. I have yet to find anything about whether people were able to lose it and whether it permanently affects metabolism.

GH--I'm so sorry you are dealing with p.a.'s!! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I can be sitting on the couch watching TV and they will come out of nowhere!! I do practice some breathing techniques and do some meditation. It helps, but I still usually feel like my insides are vibrating!! At least we can help each other out, though!! Having a p.a. while driving is the worst. I've had a few on the interstate....NOT a good time! Is there something in particular that is triggering them??

Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Hi Newlywedgurl -

Yeah, I miss you on the other board...But glad I found you here....
I was getting alittle annoyed with the other board with all the debating.LOL

Anyway..HOW ARE YOU? How's the weight shedding going? I will check out your post shortly....
I had to get off the Paxil, I didn't like the feeling and like you said the damn weight gain. I'm 42 I don't need anymore weight on my 5foot frame! I gained 15 and let me tell you it really shows up.
like you I have been eating very well, was going to try the Akins Diet, well I did for two weeks and I was miserable without my Pasta so I said forget that! I'll do my own diet of eating healthy and small portions as I have always done and manage to keep my weight at 118 which for me...I'm very happy with. I'm never going to be a skinny skinny person and I'm fine with my weight at 118 pds on my 5foot frame.

I just posted on the Menopause site looking for help on all these Vitamins I need to take. I think the Panic Attacks & Anxiety is from Perimenopause...Everything I have read on for my issue keeps going back to that!

The freakin Panic Attacks or the Anxiety I feel is ONLY when I'm driving alone and hit Traffic lights that have more then two lanes, can't do the highway anymore ALONE, the town I live in is Very very Busy with lots of shopping malls (indoor & out) Traffic is brutal and this is causing me Anxiety driving and getting stuck. That's another thing....Could this be Claustrophobia?
Because I do know that I have that phobia...always have.
so..again since being in Perimenopause which we woman get stuck getting panic attacks and anxiety could my phobia of being trapped at a traffic intersection cause my panic attacks? Gzz...

The more I read the more I freak myself out..LOL

But I'm with you...I want to nic this in the BUTT, find help, work on my issues and begone with these Panic Attacks. I even thought of seeing a Hypothesis to help me with my Claustrophobia...

Take Care,

Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

yeah I had enough of the debating as well.....my nerves weren't up to participating!

I haven't had any luck as of yet with the weight. But I also got pretty discouraged when I was working harder than ever with NO success. Right before my wedding I was walking 3 miles/day and really watching what I ate. I BARELY maintained enough to fit in my wedding gown. How embarrassing is that?? I have continued to control portions and not snack on junk, walk *fairly* regularly, etc. I'm hoping that since I stopped taking the damn meds that my metabolism will kick back in.

My weight is usually around 120-125, which is healthy for me at 5'4". I really don't know what it is now, but I feel massive. I'm too embarrassed to even check! I know that I was a 4/6 before Zoloft. I finally broke down and had to go buy some pants b/c all of mine were to tight to wear to work. I had to buy a size 12 (!!!!!) in jeans! Yes, they were junior size & the clerk said they run small, but DAMN!! Bought a pair of linen pants from Old Navy and had to get a 10!! The weird thing is, most of the weight is right in my mid-section...I have this weird belly thing going on which has never happened before.

I have thought about doing atkins, but I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to do it. Heard one of those Budweiser "real men of genius" commercials yesterday on my lunch break that was making fun of "Obsessive carb-counter man" lol I thought to myself "I SOOO don't want to be that girl!!!" I have been eating healthier, and I guess somewhat doing Atkins without all of the nitpicky counting.

I wonder sometimes if our anxiety and the fact that we are pretty high strung keeps our metabolism in high gear?? I just can't fathom that my normally high metabolism has just reached shut down status at 24!! Surely not!!

Watch out for those menopausal meds GirlHarley. They can make you gain weight as well. I'd do some research on the net first....wish I had done that before going on Zoloft!!

Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
(female)

missmokay HB User

I must be odd b/c I lost 40lbs in 2 months taking Effexor.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #12
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmokay
I must be odd b/c I lost 40lbs in 2 months taking Effexor.
How long have you been taking it??

Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

hope you don't mind me asking too.

What is Effexor? IS is like zoloft and paxil?
You lost 40lbs! WOW...and has it been working for you?

Old 04-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #14
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

I took Effexor for a while. It was the second of four SSRIs that I have tried: Paxil, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft--in that order). It was ok....it helped with the anxiety but I really felt the side effects of it. It gave me bizarre dreams. REALLY bizarre. They weren't scary, but incredibly vivid and off the wall! Wish I could have taped some of them....they'd have made great movies!! That didn't bother me so much, but if you forgot to take your dose, it often causes a "rebound depression" which is just awful--or was for me. My shoe could come untied and I would, in turn, come unglued. I'd end up bawling my eyes out, couldn't get out of bed, etc.

Effexor has also been linked to weight gain....but you may not be affected. Paxil, Celexa, and Zoloft were the ones I found the most info on.....

Old 04-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #15

want2bnormal HB User

This message is for Sam:
I went to my local Barnes & Noble looking for the book you taut on a constant basis entitled: "Been there, done that? Do this!" by Sam Obitz. Guess what? The book is out of print! Yep! So I couldn't even buy it if I wanted to. By-the-way, are you perhaps the writer of the book?

Closed Thread