It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #1

Ambra HB User
Question Lexapro and Alcohol

Hello everyone, I am taking 10 mg of Lexapro and I was wondering if it is ok to drink a glass of wine in the evening if I take it in the morning. Has anyone taking Lexapro drank any kind of alcohol? How did it affect you? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Lexapro and Alcohol

HI, IMO an occasional social drink is OK, but I wouldnt drink for the first week on lexapro, and then you should experiment by having a drink at home first, as everyone reacts differently to alcahol and meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambra
Hello everyone, I am taking 10 mg of Lexapro and I was wondering if it is ok to drink a glass of wine in the evening if I take it in the morning. Has anyone taking Lexapro drank any kind of alcohol? How did it affect you? Thanks!

I have been on Lexapro for over a month. I have tried 2 times to drink one glass of wine in the evening and that is when I take my med..........It makes me soooooooooo DIZZY in the middle of the night and really off the next day. I may try at some point to switch to taking the med in the a.m. but right now I prefer to sleep thru the side effects every one responds differently I had no problem with Celexa or Zoloft and alcohol.

BYRDLEG

Old 05-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I am on lexapro as well as an allergy medicine, both of which say not to drink. I asked my doctor and she said that the main effect that alcohol will have with the medications (not all medications, just the ones that I asked about) is that you get more drunk faster. She said that she has some patients who were heavy drinkers and didn't have any changes at all when they started taking the meds. She recommended for me (since I had never drank before) that I start off with half of a drink very slowly. Basically, just take it very slow and keep track of how you feel. Don't feel like you have to finish your drink. Of course, it is always advisable to talk to your doctor first, etc...

Also about alcohol and anxiety... In August I moved, and therefore had to get a new doctor. She switched me from Prozac to Lexapro because Lexapro is better for anxiety. I asked her if I would still be able to drink with the Lexapro like I could with the Prozac, and she said yes, but asked me why. My answer was that I generally need a drink to relax at parties or in large groups. That was when she convinced me that I needed to switch to the Lexapro for anxiety. So I guess the moral of the story is to remember what your motivations are for drinking and do it for the right reasons, not just for temporary relief of social anxiety. Anyway, it was just sort of one of those epiphany moments for me, so I thought I'd share.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:45 AM   #5

bingling HB User

I realy had no problems with drinking on meds(although I barely ever drink)
I found I got pretty waisted off just one drink though!!
And the downside is you probably will feel alot worse the next day.
It's just better not to if you can.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
(male)

bigbaz HB User

Had a few margaritas tonight after taking lexapro for almost 2 weeks....no problems......I think I'll have a few more margaritas tomorrow.......

Closed Thread