It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #1

robp2175 HB User
Can Ativan cause a seizure when suddenly you stop taking it.

My girlfriend takes Ativan for Anxiety, she does NOT have a seizure disorder. She takes 1.5 to 2 mg per day of Ativan, and may take more if she is having sever anxiety. She happened to take more than usual one month and ran out for four days and the pharmacy would not fill the prescription before the 30 days were up. On the fourth day without it, she had two seizures. The first seizures she has ever had. Obviously, she is very scared that she may have others. The doctor at the ER believed it was directly caused by the sudden stoppage of Ativan, but she is skeptical and nervous. I have done some research and there is some evidence to suggest the doctor was correct, but I would like more information. I thought someone here might either know something, or know who to refer me to for some answers. Please respond if you can. Thank You.
-Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Can Ativan cause a seizure when suddenly you stop taking it.

its well known that ativan type meds can cause siezures if suddenly stopped, she should tell the pharmacy what happened, these siezures arent harmful
your girlfriend shouldnt be relying so much on the ativan but should also be learning how to relax and cope better withn stress and anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread