It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #1

lionphish HB User
What helps you?

I would like to know what helps you? Any pointers or good books anyone could recommend would be great? Or just your recovery story?

I want to know how to make this crippling anxiety stop and move on woth my life!?!

Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #2

bertie6 HB User
Re: What helps you?

hiya lionphish,

the first thing i will say is, i am not cured from anxiety...it is an ongoing thing that i might possibly have for a long time..BUT..there are ways i, as well as other ppl might have found to deal with it better...Meds didnt work for me...so 1. I had to learn to relax my own body...first by biofeedback therapy...then just by letting my body get to a resting state...i dont think some of us anxiety sufferers realize how tense our muscles get, making us feel worse...so, learning to relax might be one way...2. i had to learn that anxiety attacks would not kill me..at first i thought everytime i had one i was having a heart attack or was going to pass out...but you have to learn that it will not get worse unless You let it...3. I am a worrier by heart...so I am slowly trying to change my ways of thinking...i am getting a bit better at taking positive attitudes towards things...4. deal with fears better...I used to be afraid of even leaving the house when i first got attacks...i left school and work for a few months...but as months went by, i started doing things little by little...like going out to the store, etc...now i do more and more things without being scared something is going to happen...i was deathly afraid of plane rides..but i am going to fly for the second time this summer...am i totally over my fear? no...but I do know that it is not going to be that bad...5. dont give up...even when it looks to be its worse...ive been at the bottom where it isnt so pretty, but...I , like others, have come to accept anxiety as part of my life...when bad anxiety comes..i put on a cd, or lie down or sit down for a bit..get some water, distract myself with a hobby (one of mine is reading a LOT)...just something that can help my deal with it and get past it for the day...I wish my anxiety would disappear of course, but if it doesn't..I am in now way going to let it run my life..I will just have to face it with the best attitude i can give it...best of luck to you =) Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 10:47 PM   #3

bertie6 HB User

that should have read..."i am in No way going to let it ruin my life"...that's what i get for typing this late at night...lol...p.s. although meds didnt work for me, I am sure that is another alternative that has helped many ppl...so that would be another one i would add to my list....Rose

Old 06-28-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionphish
I would like to know what helps you? Any pointers or good books anyone could recommend would be great? Or just your recovery story?

I want to know how to make this crippling anxiety stop and move on woth my life!?!
Hi Lionfish-

The answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it helped me get off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in CBT you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of CBT. Hope this is helpful to you lionfish.

Billy

Old 07-01-2004, 02:06 AM   #5

Elana HB User

The two books we used in my group are really really good and I would recommend them both highly: Been there, done that? Do this! by Sam Obitz and Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic-Third Edition by Michelle Craske and David Barlow. Any book on cbt is bound to be useful

Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Another good CBT book is Feeling Good by David Burns.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
(female)

janedoe321 HB User

Hi. Although I have posted on this topic, there is a book that has always helped........if I just get it out and read it. It is called: "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff". You may have heard about it. It's like a little handbook with different chapters being only 2-3 pages long, but each showing you ways to keep things in perspective. The front of the book says: Simple ways to keep little things from taking over your life. It's by Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #8

vicki.j HB User

I've been suffering from anxiety attacks for two years now. I've tried four different meds but have had severe side effects with all four. My doctor's really good and he tells me all the time how proud he is that I have a handle on things. (these words help more than he may ever know) however he has no idea why I have so many different side effects so I've given up on the meds. I am now just trying to manage things myself.

I'm taking a couple vitamins :
Nervaids / Executive Stress Formula B / Gotu Kola & Deep Sea Kelp during the day. I also take Valerian Forte at night to relax and help me sleep.

My biggest help is swimming and music.

Swimming laps is like meditation for me. I wear flipper, goggles and a snorkel so all I have to do is swim, up and back, up and back. I find it very relaxing.

I started using music to try and distract me from myself. Nowadays I turn it on and I don't even have to try. I have a favourite band and after the first couple of lines of any song my whole mood changes.

I still believe I could improve with:

Proper Meditation Training: I do meditate (sort of) on my own which helps but I think it would be great to learn from an instructor.

Talking with Someone: I have "bad thoughts" which I still haven't been able to just write off as a bad thought. I know it's actions that make a person not their thoughts but it's so hard sometimes to accept that when the bad thoughts are running through your head. I need to learn to stop my body reacting to the stuff in my head but it isn't easy.

Regular Massage: I get so tense and suffer from irritability. Somedays it feels like my head is going to explode. My shoulders and neck ache, which makes me even more irritable.

Last edited by vicki.j; 07-13-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
(male)

Sickman HB User
Thumbs up Re: What helps you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
Hi Lionfish-

The answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it helped me get off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in CBT you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of CBT. Hope this is helpful to you lionfish.

Billy
Hey billy7772,
About time you showed up. Just kidding. Most of the posts I read lately seem a job for the CBT people. I've been refering them to you all. You should be real busy. Not to many medication questions. I do feel that a lot of these people especially the young ones that have minor symptoms as yet and mostly fears and phobias can benefit better from the therapy then the meds if they can keep from it. I went to another state and visited my old Therapist and they do seem to be having good results with this. It all depends on the circumstances I think as to it working for someone or not but anything should be tried before medication. I used to think that meds were really the only answer but that was based on my own disorder. Many of us are stuck with the meds and if that is the answer then it is okay also. I just wanted to let you know that your efforts and the others on here are very much needed and I am sure are helping many. Best let you get to work.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 08-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickman
Hey billy7772,
About time you showed up. Just kidding. Most of the posts I read lately seem a job for the CBT people. I've been refering them to you all. You should be real busy. Not to many medication questions. I do feel that a lot of these people especially the young ones that have minor symptoms as yet and mostly fears and phobias can benefit better from the therapy then the meds if they can keep from it. I went to another state and visited my old Therapist and they do seem to be having good results with this. It all depends on the circumstances I think as to it working for someone or not but anything should be tried before medication. I used to think that meds were really the only answer but that was based on my own disorder. Many of us are stuck with the meds and if that is the answer then it is okay also. I just wanted to let you know that your efforts and the others on here are very much needed and I am sure are helping many. Best let you get to work.

Sincerely,

Sickman
Thanks for making my day Sickman I agree with everything you said in your note and appreciate the kind words. I stopped posting regularly here because I was feeling un appreciated and under attack. I hope to be back on here more regularly soon but work is quite demanding right now and I am on the road a lot. The good news is I am handling all the stress quite well and doing lots of TEA forms on airplanes and in hotel rooms to keep myself sane
I'm so glad you are back posting a lot because you were missed by all of us and add so much to the board

Billy

Old 08-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
(female)

tgrose HB User

I know it seems mundane, but aside from the regular books, therapy and meds, I really feel better when I laugh. Robin Williams has a DVD, Live on Broadway. It actually made me fall down laughing. Any kind of comedy is good for the soul.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrose
I know it seems mundane, but aside from the regular books, therapy and meds, I really feel better when I laugh. Robin Williams has a DVD, Live on Broadway. It actually made me fall down laughing. Any kind of comedy is good for the soul.
You know what they say.... "Laughter is the best medicine" and I have to believe there is a lot of truth to that and it beats the heck out of crying

Closed Thread