It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
(male)

Soodle HB User
Extremely Worried

My chest tightness, head pressure and shortness of breath are making me feel so ill. I've noticed that when I use beta blockers (Atenenol 50mg) the chest pressure is far less. Surely that suggests that this is in fact heart disease. My cardio said that due to my age (26) the fact that I don't smoke, have normal cholesterol & BP and have no family history that coronary heart disease would be extremely unlikely. Plus the fact I have had a stress ecg, 24 hr ecg and an echo which have all come back normal. Still, I don't see how if it was just muscle tension that beta blockers would help.
Anyone experienced subdued chest discomfort after beta blockers?
As always, your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated.
As I'm sure you all can appreciate, I'm very, very worried that this is something seriouse (despite what the doctors say).

Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

Sickman HB User
Smile Re: Extremely Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soodle
My chest tightness, head pressure and shortness of breath are making me feel so ill. I've noticed that when I use beta blockers (Atenenol 50mg) the chest pressure is far less. Surely that suggests that this is in fact heart disease. My cardio said that due to my age (26) the fact that I don't smoke, have normal cholesterol & BP and have no family history that coronary heart disease would be extremely unlikely. Plus the fact I have had a stress ecg, 24 hr ecg and an echo which have all come back normal. Still, I don't see how if it was just muscle tension that beta blockers would help.
Anyone experienced subdued chest discomfort after beta blockers?
As always, your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated.
As I'm sure you all can appreciate, I'm very, very worried that this is something seriouse (despite what the doctors say).
Dear Soodle,
I don't know about beta blockers helping chest pressure but I do know that with panic symptoms, "If you believe it is helping, it will because you will relax". I would see another Doctor about Panic attacks since everything in your tests seem to be ok and you are being put on a beta blocker. As far as chest pressure or cramps, I have had a chest spasm for 9 weeks on one occasion 24 hours a day. I think you just have panic symptoms and you can not die from this. Panic attacks are mental brain tricks. If you mentally believed a stick of gum would relieve the chest pressure it probably would. I think you are mentally self medicating your self by thinking that it is working, not the medication itself. I would see another Doctor and find out why you are on this medication when you exhibit no apparent reason to be on it in the first place. I have been on a beta blocker and it messed me up (did not physically harm me) because I did not need it. That may be why you are getting the other symptoms. See another Doctor. Just my opinion.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread