It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User
Question questions about therapy

Hello people... I am looking into seeing a behavioral therapist for my stress problems which I believe are related to a lot of my health and weight problems. Does anyone have any good experiences with this type of treatment? Is it worth going to? I dont like having to take medications to make me feel happy and less stressed, because I have done that before and there were no results. Anyone and everyones input is welcome!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #2

sweetums HB User
Re: questions about therapy

I'm on medication, but my family doctor still recommended therapy because of the high dosages of meds that I'm on.
I have alot of stressers in my life...to name a few are trust issues in my marriage, a handicapped 6 year old little boy, a nasty sister, a disgusting brother and a nosey mother....I'm on my third therapist now...this last one is the first male therapist, so I'll give it a try...maybe he can give me a different view on things...but so far I haven't liked therapy...I usually feel worse rather than better after seeing them...but everyone is different...all you can do is give it a try and see what you think...every therapist is different, sometimes it takes awhile to find the right one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #3

emse4 HB User
Smile Re: questions about therapy

-FruitLoop-
I have had anxiety/stress/panic attacks off and on for 6 years. I have tried several different medicines, but have found that the BEST treatment for everything is to see a therapist. It is very important to find one who you are comfortable with though, otherwise it's a waste of time. I went to a lady for a year and that was the happiest time in my life! I encourage you to give it a try!! I just started going back recently due to some additional stressors and am starting to see the light again! Good luck to you and God Bless!!

Old 07-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran

monarchangel HB User
Re: questions about therapy

I know that CBT is about learning how to replace negative thoughts with positive ones, but can it work if you also have physical problems? It is hard to think positive when you have health problems. I don;t have insurance right now, so I would have to pay. Does it really work?

Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #5

KShortie HB User
Cool Re: questions about therapy

I saw a very good psychoanalyst (a psychiatrist who uses medication and analytical therapy). I had had anxiety all my life and then developed severe panic attacks around age 32. I was originally treated with medication to calm the situation down. Then he began treating me with behavior modification techniques. Teaching me to ride the panic, not fight it. Realize it was just a "feeling" my mind was sending me--it wasn't really true. I wasn't really about to die. My mind just told my body that and it in turn responded. Now my anxiety/panic turned about to be genetic. Many members of my family have panic/anxiety--also bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Genetic mental illness takes many forms evidentally. So, I am on daily medication for 13-14 years. I took only Xanax 0.25 mg. twice a day for years. Then after my heart surgery I was given Zoloft 25 mg. along with upping the Xanax to 0.5 mg. three times a day. The Xanax is now being weaned back to twice a day. Behavior therapy can still work and help you to control panic/anxiety even if you have physical problems. Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Closed Thread