It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Talking Am I the only freak???

I no longer suffer from panic attacks, but I still come to these boards everyday.
I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only "freak" out there or if anyone else is like me!!!

I've said this before, but I really do believe I must be some kind of freak of nature or something.

Smoking makes most peoples anxiety worse...it actually calmed me down.

Coffee makes most people with anxiety feel more hyper...it never bothered me at all.

Therapy helps a lot of people it didn't do a thing for me...CBT seems to help a lot of people, even that didn't do one thing for me.

A lot of people who take benzo's become dependent on or tolorent to them and say they can tell when they're wearing off...I took a very low dose of a benzo everyday for a long time and never had any of these problems.
Then when they try to wean off they have terrible problems...I weaned with no problems at all.

Most people seem to get cold when they are having an attack...I got hot and only felt cold after the attack was over.

Just wonder if I'm the only "Freak" out there.

Old 07-14-2004, 03:53 PM   #2

bertie6 HB User
Re: Am I the only freak???

nope, not at all...im sure there are several ppl who have different experiences during attacks...I have gotten leg pains and spasms during anxiety, which might not be a common symptom Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #3

Jchandra88 HB User

Everyone's different in how they react to different medications and methods..doesn't mean you're a "freak" or anything.. No two bodies are exactly the same (except for twins maybe ). A lot of people say they have had great success with prescribed anti-depressants..whereas the one time I took them, it made my condition worse.
I also have been feeling considerably better than when I first discovered this board and discussed my symptoms. That was about a few months ago. I'm not all the way better...and I may never be again...but at least I can go out in public and enjoy life again.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat
I no longer suffer from panic attacks, but I still come to these boards everyday.
I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only "freak" out there or if anyone else is like me!!!

I've said this before, but I really do believe I must be some kind of freak of nature or something.

Coffee makes most people with anxiety feel more hyper...it never bothered me at all.

Therapy helps a lot of people it didn't do a thing for me...CBT seems to help a lot of people, even that didn't do one thing for me.

A lot of people who take benzo's become dependent on or tolorent to them and say they can tell when they're wearing off...I took a very low dose of a benzo everyday for a long time and never had any of these problems.
Then when they try to wean off they have terrible problems...I weaned with no problems at all.

Most people seem to get cold when they are having an attack...I got hot and only felt cold after the attack was over.

No, just lucky. But don't do the smoking thing, ok, or your luck may run out!

Glad you are anxiety free, Gracie, good to hear it!

Old 07-16-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
(male)

Sickman HB User
Thumbs up Re: Am I the only freak???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Dear Graciecat,
I think I have been called everything but a freak on the board at one time or another. I come here and continue to try to convince everyone over and over that you have to learn to ignore the physical sensations that send you into a panic attack, not fight them. No one seems to get this and it is very hard to do. First off, I drink coffee and smoke day and night because it calms me and the Doctors do not want me to have to deal with stopping this anyway. Maybe a freak is not someone that comes here that does not have panic attacks anymore but one that also does not have them in another way. You come her to give support because you know what it is to have this and you deserve merit for this. I do not have panic attacks anymore to speak of either. I have other neurological and physical disorders that used to send me into the worst panic attacks. Now I wake up everyday with pain and symptoms that go on all day and sometimes in my sleep. I still have attacks but I generally do not panic anymore. I figure, what is the use in panicing when this goes on constantly and it will never stop. Please don't anyone relate their panic disorder to this because this is something else that you do not have. I am not saying that I do not get afraid, I just don't panic. This is why I keep telling people that suffer from just panic disorder, that if you can learn to not care anymore about the symptoms and sensations you feel then you can get past the panicing. You just have to get it into your head that it doesn't help, it makes it worse. I don't think people have to be in my situiation to get a "I don't care anymore attitude about these things and it will help manage and stop the attacks by not panicing over sensations and blowing them out of proportion". Maybe I am the freak in thinking this but if I can do this, I can't see why others can't also. It is just a frame of mind that you have to train yourself in. Sometimes it will not work but you can't let it get you down. You just have to go back thinking the same way and telling yourself that you won't let that symptoms get to you again. When your brain can't fool you anymore, it will give into you not the other way around. I hope someone out there can relate to this. You are not a Freak Graciecat, you are just a good person. Something that is becoming extinct. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 07-17-2004, 06:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

You understand exactly, Sickman.
I don't get attacks any more, but that doesn't mean I still don't suffer from a panic disorder, because I do.
I also have OCD and have been told that I'm slightly Bi-Polar....didn't know you could be slightly Bi-Polar...I thought you either were or you weren't...but that's beside the point.
I have these three things and probably will for the rest of my life, I just don't freak out over them anymore, so therefore I don't have attacks anymore.
I'm like you, I'm not going to say that I don't still get scared once in a while, but I don't let it panic me any more.
As for the OCD...if I have to count things and clean things and put things in order for the rest of my life, then I have to do it.
I stopped worrying that it was freaky to do these things...it's me, it's who I am and I'm not ashamed of it.
I have a wonderful and very supportive Husband, Children and other family...all except for one Sister...but if she can't except me or if anyone else can't except me...that's their problem not mine.
The day I realized that I had nothing to be ashamed of was the day I stopped letting all of it get the better of me and that was the day that I basically had my last attack.

Thank you for the kind words...and I hope you know that there are a lot of us on these boards who find your posts very helpful and insightful.
You've always offered advice to people who are suffering and that's a wonderful trait.

Last edited by Graciecat; 07-17-2004 at 07:01 AM.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #7

chinagrl426 HB User

Sickman,

I agree with you about ignoring some of the symptoms to cut out the panic. It takes a while to really know what your panic symptoms are and then once you know they are associated with your panic you can not pay attention to them so much-it works.

Closed Thread