It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
I'm going back into my "I have some horrible illness" phase

I woke up this morning with my chest pressure and shortness of breath worse than ever. And, my hands are tingling. So, of course, I'm back on the computer researching heart disease(which I spent months doing last winter). This is rediculous!!! I've had 3 holter monitor tests, several ekg's, 2 echo's, thalium stress test, echo stress test, chest CT, and a cardiac cath...all in the last year....and every test turned out normal!

This is all anxiety...This is all anxiety...This is all anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
(male)

Soodle HB User
Re: I'm going back into my "I have some horrible illness" phase

I know what you mean - how the Hell can this be just in my head? Your post freeked me out cos I see all the tests you've had done and thought - crap, I've only about half of those. Now I'm seriously worried. If my symptoms accured with a strong sense of panick then I could buy it but the fact is ~I don't feel that anxious (my shrink said that anxiety is often subconcious - has anyone else heard of this?)

Hang in there Hillery. I know what a nightmare all this is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #3

chinagrl426 HB User

I agree that alot of anxiety is subconcious. I know that I have anxiety going on but I dont really physically feel anxious. I wish it would take a hike.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
(male)

Soodle HB User

When you guys get tight chested, can you feel the muscles tight (I mean when you touch your chest). When my chest it tight my chest muscles feel normal to the touch. I do sympathise - it's hard not to think you're having a heart attack when you feel like you've got a baby elephant on your chest.
Atleast we're all in the same boat (better than being stuck in a boat all by yourself).

Old 07-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soodle
When you guys get tight chested, can you feel the muscles tight (I mean when you touch your chest). When my chest it tight my chest muscles feel normal to the touch. I do sympathise - it's hard not to think you're having a heart attack when you feel like you've got a baby elephant on your chest.
Atleast we're all in the same boat (better than being stuck in a boat all by yourself).
Hey Soodle,
My chest pressure feels like it's coming from deep inside my chest. My muscles never feel tender(even though my Dr. insists that the tightness I'm feeling is caused by tense muscles). Today, I also have a tight feeling that goes up to my throat.

I don't feel anxious with my symptoms, either. There are times when I feel very jittery or anxious, but this doesn't usually go along with my daily symptoms. If anything, my symptoms cause me to feel anxious because I fear what is causing them. I guess maybe it is subconcious.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
(male)

Soodle HB User

Snap - that's 'exactly' like me, with the throat thing too - feels like the life is being squeezed out of you. But listen, you now that it can't be your arteries because of your cath. I guess the fact that so many of us suffer with the same symptoms shows how powerful anxiety can be. Also - not believing it is anxiety seems to be another common hallmark.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
(male)

Soodle HB User

Also forgot to say - blocked arteries at your age is extremely rare (and even then there's usually an acute reason ie - abnormally high cholesterol). Stress&Anxiety symptoms on the other hand are not that rare at our age, especially with the go-go-go lifestyle of western countries. Also stay off "the heart" board - you will convince yourself you're dying.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:42 AM   #8
(female)

mayansun HB User

Hi,

I am in the boat too..maybe we need a bigger boat!

I just had surgery for a brain aneurysm and the medical journey over the last couple months has skyrocketed my anxiety. I do take Ativan which helps a bit and go to see a psych soon. My latests symptom is persistent chest pain (and I do have persistent anxiety, sometimes more evident then others) as well as nervous stomach / acid etc. I've been to the doctor and had 2 normal EKG's and no risk factors for heart disease or family history (I'm 27) and my doc has me on prilosec to see if some of the pain is acid.

She said other causes are muscles or anxiety or both....so I'm trying to believe that is true. I have this new sense of hyper vigilance about my health due to my recent experience and do have a hard time believing anxiety can cause such uncomfortable and persistent physical symptoms.

But either we all have hearts that are tricking us (not likely) or we all have anxiety and have to work through.

KJ

Old 07-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soodle
Also forgot to say - blocked arteries at your age is extremely rare (and even then there's usually an acute reason ie - abnormally high cholesterol). Stress&Anxiety symptoms on the other hand are not that rare at our age, especially with the go-go-go lifestyle of western countries. Also stay off "the heart" board - you will convince yourself you're dying.
Yes, I've learned to stay away from the "heart" forum. There are a lot of people who are very helpful over there, but I end up thinking I have every heart disease mentioned.

Well, I'm on my way to my dr.'s office. I'm hoping he will let me try a different med.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayansun
Hi,

I am in the boat too..maybe we need a bigger boat!

I just had surgery for a brain aneurysm and the medical journey over the last couple months has skyrocketed my anxiety. I do take Ativan which helps a bit and go to see a psych soon. My latests symptom is persistent chest pain (and I do have persistent anxiety, sometimes more evident then others) as well as nervous stomach / acid etc. I've been to the doctor and had 2 normal EKG's and no risk factors for heart disease or family history (I'm 27) and my doc has me on prilosec to see if some of the pain is acid.

She said other causes are muscles or anxiety or both....so I'm trying to believe that is true. I have this new sense of hyper vigilance about my health due to my recent experience and do have a hard time believing anxiety can cause such uncomfortable and persistent physical symptoms.

But either we all have hearts that are tricking us (not likely) or we all have anxiety and have to work through.

KJ
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, too. Hang in there!
I know how major medical problems or surgeries can contribute to anxiety. I was dx'd with thyroid cancer a year ago and ended up having 2 surgeries. My anxiety symptoms had started before that, but the "cancer" dx definatly made things a lot worse. Sometimes, I think that's why I keep thinking I have heart disease and other life threatening illnesses.
Take care

Old 07-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
(female)

ssborrow HB User

I have to smile, cause I thought the same thing! My internal med. dr. told me that it is possible to not even know you are anxious. You can just be sitting there and BOOM! That is what happens to me. I really have no problems that would cause me to be stressed, but I still get anxiety! It is a pain in the neck! I wish it would go away.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #12
(male)

Soodle HB User

Was driving to work this afternoon - it's been a really hot day in London - and my heart was racing. I was so short of breath too, but I didn't feel at all panicky or anxious. It sounds silly but I wish I felt 'panicky' cos then it would obviously be anxiety - maybe I could get the idea of heart disease out of my head. Also, do any of you ever get a feeling of pressure in your jaw? Today, wheenver I stand up I get a really tight feeling in the left hand side of my jaw

Also - do any of you get flushed faces?

Last edited by Soodle; 07-17-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Soodle, I wouldn't say that "panic" goes along with my symptoms, but sometimes my symptoms cause me to feel anxious from worrying about what could be causing them. ...if that makes sense My heart was beating really fast for several hours last night and I didn't feel anxious or panicy at all. ...just short of breath and tired

I do get jaw pressure, but I also have TMJ...so I'm pretty sure that's the cause. Mine is on both sides, but it's been worse on my right side lately. I also grind my teeth at night(which I didn't know I was doing until my husband pointed it out).
And, yes, my face gets flushed a lot. It happens just about anytime I stand up. Usually, I get a feeling of pressure all over my face and a warm sensation after I stand. Sometimes, I also feel a pulsating sensation in my head along with this. I always think that my bp must be high...but everytime I check it, it's always below normal.

Last edited by hilery79; 07-17-2004 at 12:04 PM.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:54 PM   #14
(male)

Soodle HB User

It's a strange old ilness alright. I agree with what you said about feeling anxious about the symptoms, but as others have said, I suppose anxiety can be largely subconcious. I can't think of any test they could give you that you haven't already had - I'm sure they would have noticed something if the problem was with your ticker. I myself haven't had the cath so my mind can always say to me - but what if you do have a blocked artery? It's still possible. Then again you've had a cath and you're still worried so maybe it wouldn't make a difference. As my cardio said - blocked arteries in under 30's is very rare indeed, and out of those rare cases there is usually a reason ie - extremely high cholesterol. Anxiety and stress is certainly not all that rare in western society (I'm moving from London to Africa this month so hopefully the change in lifestyle will cure me). I do sympathise with you - it's so hard to convince yourself that this is all in your head, but just remember, the human brain is very complicated but easy to trick (which is how a stage hynotist makes their living). I have to say, your messages so help - it's always nice to think you're not on your own.

Old 07-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #15
(female)

februarygirl HB User

Hi Hilary - my name is Nancy. I saw a post from 6/2003 you posted regarding tingling/numbness in your face and head. I have had all the same symptoms for over a year now without resolve. I have had MRI's, MRA's, etc. all come back negative. I also get the chest tightness sometimes and the shortness of breath which I thought was unrelated. (I also get PVC's - skipped beats which I am under a cardio's care)

I was hoping that you were able to find out what wrong with your head numbness. I need some answers - it can be soooo depressing. [ removed ] Thank you.

Nancy

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2004 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Use this board anonymously, only - no emails.

Closed Thread