It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #1

chinagrl426 HB User
Irrational thoughts

WIll someone please tell me if depersonalization ever goes away if you are really trying to get better. I dont know if I have it or if maybe I had it once and now I am dwelling on the thought of having it so I feel weird from that. Either way, I feel like eveerything else is getting better except for this. My mind is forgetting what normal is-but I refer to it as how I was before all this stuff started. My psychologist said that he did not think it was actual depersonalization that it was subconcious thoughts, or irrational thought. I feel the same too sometimes but then other days its worse so i dont reallly know. I am so caught up in this everyday and I cant stand it anymore. I feel like a weirdo, I never htought I would be going through this much less ever go to a psychologist. Someone please help me feel better. I am trying my best to be patient because I know this is a long process to recover from a full blown anxiety attack but Im not sure how much more I can take.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran

monarchangel HB User
Re: Irrational thoughts

Hi Heather-
I see what you are saying because I go through the same thing. Can you explain a little bit more about how you feel and when you feel this way. Is it 24/7? Is it that brain foggy feeling? How has your stress been? I just finished college last year and I had all these health things happen to me at once which gave me this nervous scary feeling all the time. My doctor told me it was anxiety, but I think it si something more. She put this fear in me that I just can't let go of. I was just wondering if we both have the same thing. Is it like you feel your head is really cloudy all the time and you are nervous that something is always wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 06:27 PM   #3

chinagrl426 HB User

Yes-that is exactly how I feel- I am always dwelling on something. Either I think I have something wrong with my head or I dwell on the thought that I have derealization. Im not sure if I have it or not but I havent felt like myself lately. My stress level isnt too bad right now but I am taking one class and I will graduate July 31, so I am a little stresses about that but I consider that normal. However-that doesnt help because your body doesnt differentiate between good or bad stress, if it produces adrenaline the body is going to react the same, especially while in the anxiety state. I dont know what it is. But I was really stressed at the end of last semester and I started getting tension headaches, which I'd never had before-so then I convinced myself that I had a brain tumor. It went downhill from there. I experienced all kinds of irrational thoughts from wanting to harm other and myself to wondering why I was here and questioning what life was about. It was scary and I think that it made it worse. Now I hear myself talk and its like I am all there and I know what is going on but I still dont feel quite right. At first I had a lo of the "foggy" feeling but when I was able to sort through some of my thoughts that did get a little better. But I still dont feel 100%. I think my mind is so used to being in this state that it doesnt know what normal is anymore. And I am working on trying to control my thoughts but it is so hard. Its like my mind is forcing me to believe that I am not myself-sounds crazy but true. How do you feel-does any of this sound like what you are going through?

Old 07-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #4

chinagrl426 HB User

Oh-what kind of fear are you talking about-what are your symptoms??

Old 07-16-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

To bring yourself out of dereaslization, you need to ground yourself. This would be by saying the color of the carpet or your walls and everything else that surrounds you. Get into your surroundings (ex: nature) and name them and their colors, etc. everything positive about them. This breaks the mind.

Andrea

Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #6

J-Hewitt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
To bring yourself out of dereaslization, you need to ground yourself. This would be by saying the color of the carpet or your walls and everything else that surrounds you. Get into your surroundings (ex: nature) and name them and their colors, etc. everything positive about them. This breaks the mind.

Andrea

WOOOOW....I just did this for 2 minutes and i can concentrate a bit more..It felt like i was almost back to my old self for a second.Im going to do this wherever i go from now on..WOW WOW WOW...Everyone try it!!

Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #7

chinagrl426 HB User

I don't think I am have problems with my surroundings-it seem so to be more about myself. I feel unfamiliar to myself and I don't know why-I keep asking the question "what I am I doing here" even though I know what I am here for-to live my life. Ever since this whole anxiety episode I've been questioning life constantly and I don't like it. It is very scary. I used to question life sometimes before I was in the "anxiety state" but it would come into my head and fade out. I don't know why I can get over this-I've gotten over pretty much everything else.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Heather, I really don't think you're going to answer an abstract question such as what are you doing here. For some reason, it seems you may feel you don't have a right to live your life? Is there guilt attached along with the feelings?
Are you at this time in your life having many responsibilities put upon yourself that you may be not wanting to do?

Just a hunch with questions in a bunch ;-)
quincy

Old 07-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

Hi Heather
I know exactly what you are going through. It is the SCARIEST thing that has ever happened to me and I feel like noone around me understands. I don't even have a job right now because it is too much for me. Every time I feel like I'm coming out of it, it comes right back. I never had this feeling and it all started last year when I had a few health problems. I wish I knew how to end it. It is like being in a constant state of fog and you don't want to do anything. I don't even hang out with my friends that much because it's too much. I don't want to put a label on this and say it is derealization or whatever, but I think being in a constant state of stress can do this. I have tried self help books, exercise, meditation and now I am trying acupuncture because I refuse to take medications. My doctor wanted me to take an antianxiety pill, but I don;t have probelms with anxiety, I just feel so scared and nervous all the time and I question everything I do. I feel like I can't get through anything and I feel like everyone around me thinks I am a hermit. What do you think?

Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #10

chinagrl426 HB User

Have you tried seeing a psychologist? I am going to one right now and it does help. I went today and I realized alot of things about what I am dealing with. It has alot to do with my obsessive thought patterns also. There has to be some way to get past this stage in our lives. I belive constant stress, whether concious or subconcious can affect the body, especially ongoing stress. I know alot of this subconcious and occurs when my thought patterns are irrational, but sometimes I just feel like-well I can't even really explain it. Hopefully I can snap out of it. I just dont understand how I lived my life for 23 years and all of the sudden I am questioning everything. It seems as if I am in a different realm or something. I cannot stop questioning my "existence" and I dont know why. Its an obsessive thought that I cannot get rid of and it seems to be getting worse. My suggestion to MonarchAngel is to see someone, especially if your'e not taking meds. Meds can help to get you back on track, but I understand how you feel, I didnt want to get back on the meds either. I need to change my train of thought but am having a hard time with this right now.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
(female)

LIT HB User

i ahvent been questioning my existance as such.
its jsut everything that i think about drives me crazy
if someone (my best mate) says shes going to do sumptin with me and then says that she sint or doesnt get abck to me i start to think irrationally

eg. why isnt she talking to me?, doesnt she like me? she hates me, doesnt she want to spend time with me?
blah blah blah

i think about EVERYTHING
it is seriously getting me down

i saw a therapist for the first time last week
goin abck this thursday
hopefully he has some answers for me
i really need to know how to beat this
i cant go on any longer second guessing everything
and ripping to bits everything that people say/ dont say to me

it drives me nuts just thinking about it

unsure why this has all of a sudden happened
and why i am annalysing EVERY little detail

ive always done this to some degree, but not to this extent

i cant take it any more

Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #12

reb913 HB User

LIT - I experienced exactly the same symptoms as you discribed about your irrational thoughts, and when i go out where there are lots of people present i feel as if evreryone is watching me and laughing at me beacause they see something wrong with me that i dont know about

its very distressing!!

I went to a psyciatrist and it was diagnosed as anxiety. with anxiety though, there are a number of things that can accompany that, and one of them is over-analising.
I was very glad when i heard that, because at least people know what it exists and there are methods of dealing with it.
I think another thing that can accompany anxiety is low self esteem, and that just worsens the whole anxiety effect...

Anyway, is was perscribed a anti-depressant (a SSRI) called Aropax(i think the name is different in the USA (I'm an South Africa)), and it is working very well for me!!
------> i still feel a little anxious when alot of ppl are present, but my mind doesnt have racing negative thoughts anymore, which is really the worst part.

If you're not interested in taking medication, you HAVE to stop talking to yourself negatively (ie thinking why are your friends not calling back --- they've got other things to do also!!!). Because if you keep on saying negative things to yourself they arent gonna fade, because you choose to be negative. When you say something to yourself enough it becomes real in your reality.

Anyway, hope i helped u a bit there LIT - Enjoy your day!Booya

Closed Thread