It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 AM   #1

Estoril HB User
Maybe it isn't stress/anxiety...

At least not solely.

I have been trying very hard to relax and keep my mind off of symptoms. For the most part, they have gotten considerably better. However, some of them are still hanging around and I can't help but think there is an underlying physical cause. What got me thinking about this again is that I just found out that my uncle (mother's brother) has been diabetic for some 25 years - never knew this. I also remembered that my mother had her highly disfunctional thyroid removed when she was 17. Looking at hypothyroid symptoms has been something of a revelation to me. Not all of the pieces fit exacty but several of them are dead-on - a much closer match than typical diabetes symptoms anyway. Given my mother's condition, this could quite possibly be the answer. And I almost hope that it is.

I go see the doc about this next Wed.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Re: Maybe it isn't stress/anxiety...

Hi,
I agree...thyroid problems can definatly cause a long list of symptoms. Hypo and hyperthyroidism can also cause anxiety and panic disorders. My Dr. thought my thyroid was the cause of my symptoms at first. I was dx'd with thyroid cancer over a year ago, but I am now cured and my thyroid levels have been normal for several months. So, he says my thyroid was never the cause of my symptoms(but I wish it were).
Good luck with your appt.! Let us know what you find out.
Take care,
Hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #3

Estoril HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
I agree...thyroid problems can definatly cause a long list of symptoms. Hypo and hyperthyroidism can also cause anxiety and panic disorders. My Dr. thought my thyroid was the cause of my symptoms at first. I was dx'd with thyroid cancer over a year ago, but I am now cured and my thyroid levels have been normal for several months. So, he says my thyroid was never the cause of my symptoms(but I wish it were).
Good luck with your appt.! Let us know what you find out.
Take care,
Hilery
Anxiety is one of the pieces that fits the thyroid theory for me. Until 3-4 months ago, I was always the very laid back, smooth sailing kind of guy. People used to joke with me about how laid back I was. Anxiety and depression doesn't fit me historically.

Then, during my driver's license renewal vision test, I noticed my right eye was blurry - my vision has always been perfect (cue onset of panic/anxiety). I had been tired, lethargic and fatigued for several months - maybe even longer - prior to this but I just chalked it up to a busy life.

When I noticed the blurred vision, I began searching the internet and of course turned up all sorts of awful scenarios - brain tumor being just one of them (upgrade to full-on panic/anxiety). The optho diagnosed me with astigmatism and far-sightedness in the right eye and glasses do help a great deal. Since tumor-related vision disturbances cannot be corrected with glasses, I am no longer worried about that. But the fact that this blurred vision presented so suddenly and actually seems to fluctuate in severity is another possible tie-in to the thyroid theory. Although I admit that this is pure conjecture on my part.

I have other symptoms consistent with thyroid disorder - muscle weakness and such - but the fact that my mother had a bum thyroid is what makes the strongest connection in my mind.

We shall find out soon enough - and I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Estoril; 07-15-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Yep, I would definatly have them run a complete thyroid panel. You have the "classic" hypothyroid symptoms...fatigue, lethargic, and muscle weakness. With your family hx and symptoms, I'm willing to bet your thyroid hormones are off.
Best of luck, hilery

Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #5

Estoril HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Yep, I would definatly have them run a complete thyroid panel. You have the "classic" hypothyroid symptoms...fatigue, lethargic, and muscle weakness. With your family hx and symptoms, I'm willing to bet your thyroid hormones are off.
Best of luck, hilery
I am kind of relieved to have found you. You responses have helped - thanks!

I just noticed there is a thyroid board in here. I'll go bug them for a while too.

Thanks again and I will post the results of my doc visit.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

When you do get your labs done, ask your doctor if they will test your Free T3 & Free T4. When checking the thyroid, most doctors will only request that blood be drawn for a check of your TSH level. The TSH is a good indicator of where the thyroid is at, but TSH is not a thyroid hormone. It is a pituitary response to where your thyroid levels are at. All very strange, but none-the-less this is what doctors typically test. Some doctors (and educated patients) like to see where the Free T3 & Free T4 levels are at (and these are different from Total T3 & Total T4) because that is the actual amount of thyroid hormone available in your body (the Total T3 & Total T4 are the free's plus any thyroid hormone that is already bound to a protein). I know this is information overkill, BUT there is a point to it. Many people go years and years undiagnosed with an underactive thyroid even though they have been tested. Getting your TSH, Free T3 & Free T4 will give you a much better idea of your thyroids health. Another reason many people go undiagnosed is outdated lab ranges. previous "normal" lab ranges for TSH were something like .4 - 5.50. Two years ago, this lab range was changed to .4-2.5 but most labs are still using the old lab ranges and telling patients they are "normal" with a TSH of 3 or 4.

Anyhow -- like I said, I know it's information overkill, but I did want you to at least be armed a little bit when you see your doctor. What really irks me is that when a patient is diagnosed with Anxiety disorder, I really feel the thyroid should be tested at that time. Both an overactive thyroid (because of the body being sped up) and and underactive thyroid (because of the brain-fog & dizziness) can and do cause panic attacks and anxiety.

Good luck!!

Old 07-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #7

Estoril HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
When you do get your labs done, ask your doctor if they will test your Free T3 & Free T4. When checking the thyroid, most doctors will only request that blood be drawn for a check of your TSH level. The TSH is a good indicator of where the thyroid is at, but TSH is not a thyroid hormone. It is a pituitary response to where your thyroid levels are at. All very strange, but none-the-less this is what doctors typically test. Some doctors (and educated patients) like to see where the Free T3 & Free T4 levels are at (and these are different from Total T3 & Total T4) because that is the actual amount of thyroid hormone available in your body (the Total T3 & Total T4 are the free's plus any thyroid hormone that is already bound to a protein). I know this is information overkill, BUT there is a point to it. Many people go years and years undiagnosed with an underactive thyroid even though they have been tested. Getting your TSH, Free T3 & Free T4 will give you a much better idea of your thyroids health. Another reason many people go undiagnosed is outdated lab ranges. previous "normal" lab ranges for TSH were something like .4 - 5.50. Two years ago, this lab range was changed to .4-2.5 but most labs are still using the old lab ranges and telling patients they are "normal" with a TSH of 3 or 4.

Anyhow -- like I said, I know it's information overkill, but I did want you to at least be armed a little bit when you see your doctor. What really irks me is that when a patient is diagnosed with Anxiety disorder, I really feel the thyroid should be tested at that time. Both an overactive thyroid (because of the body being sped up) and and underactive thyroid (because of the brain-fog & dizziness) can and do cause panic attacks and anxiety.

Good luck!!

Wow - great info to have! I am very detail-oriented so information overkill is almost impossible with me - drives my wife crazy. I will feel much better knowing that all the bases are being covered when I go in.

Thank you very much.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Wait -- I remember you! You wrote a while back and I thought you sounded like a writer, right?

I do hope things are getting better for you. It's difficult when true physical problems collide with anxiety and panic disorder. While having a thyroid problem in itself can cause anxiety and panic symptoms, often times by the time you get treated, the anxiety and panic have taken on a life of their own because you've spent so much time worrying "what's wrong with me" "I know there is soemthing wrong with me". It's strange. However, treatment for any kind of underlying physical problem is going to give the anxiety sufferer a little relief and this is ESPECIALLY true with the thyroid because it affects a persons mind more than doctors like to acknowledge. It's funny --- when thyroid problems were first diagnosed 100 years ago, they were diagnosed by the persons mental state -- now days the doctors are driven by the labs.

It's sooo strange to say this, but I think you feel the same -- a weird little bitty part of me hopes your thyroid is a little out of wack so you can put a name to it, get some treatment and get on with life!! Also on a side note -- my grandmother had her thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer and I developed Graves disease (at age 26) which has since been treated with radio iodine (so now my thyroid is dead and I'm underactive). Although the jury is still out on why people get this stuff, I think heridity has a lot to do with it. Also, if you have any other autoimmune diseases it makes you more likely to develop others. (I've had psoriosis since I was 8 which is another AI disease).

Please do post how your doctors appointment goes. Get a copy of your lab results and post them on the thyroid board -- good stuff there, man!
Take care and keep up the fight!!

Old 07-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #9

Estoril HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
Wait -- I remember you! You wrote a while back and I thought you sounded like a writer, right?

I do hope things are getting better for you. It's difficult when true physical problems collide with anxiety and panic disorder. While having a thyroid problem in itself can cause anxiety and panic symptoms, often times by the time you get treated, the anxiety and panic have taken on a life of their own because you've spent so much time worrying "what's wrong with me" "I know there is soemthing wrong with me". It's strange. However, treatment for any kind of underlying physical problem is going to give the anxiety sufferer a little relief and this is ESPECIALLY true with the thyroid because it affects a persons mind more than doctors like to acknowledge. It's funny --- when thyroid problems were first diagnosed 100 years ago, they were diagnosed by the persons mental state -- now days the doctors are driven by the labs.

It's sooo strange to say this, but I think you feel the same -- a weird little bitty part of me hopes your thyroid is a little out of wack so you can put a name to it, get some treatment and get on with life!! Also on a side note -- my grandmother had her thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer and I developed Graves disease (at age 26) which has since been treated with radio iodine (so now my thyroid is dead and I'm underactive). Although the jury is still out on why people get this stuff, I think heridity has a lot to do with it. Also, if you have any other autoimmune diseases it makes you more likely to develop others. (I've had psoriosis since I was 8 which is another AI disease).

Please do post how your doctors appointment goes. Get a copy of your lab results and post them on the thyroid board -- good stuff there, man!
Take care and keep up the fight!!
Yes, that was me. I knew your handle looked familiar!

I have been feeling much better for the most part - thanks. I don't feel anxious or panicky very often so the symptoms associated with that have backed off quite a bit. I just can't seem to shake the lethargy, mental fog and sense of muscle weakness. My sense of balance/coordination feels a bit "off" as well - difficult to explain but I know it is there. Something isn't right. It almost feels as though my body is crying out for something if that makes any sense at all. I've noticed that I hunt for words or occassionally even slur a bit when speaking, like I'm drunk or have a fat tongue. It comes and goes.

Thanks for the free T advice. I'm really not scared anymore - just looking forward to, as you said, "putting a name on it." My hope is that it isn't anything serious, obviously.

Closed Thread