It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #1

Jchandra88 HB User
Anxiety triggers

I'm going to try and not get too personal on this..I have a difficult time talking about it anyway...
I was watching a movie tonight and it was pretty disturbing... I felt alright before watching..but right in the middle of it, I started feeling nauseated and had shortened breath and my face got so hot, I had to splash cold water on it. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest..and had to will myself to calm down. I know all kinds of things can trigger anxiety attacks...for me, it was this movie. I think it was way too closely related to things that happened in my past. For all facts and purposes, the movie I was watching was called The Butterfly Effect.. pretty new release so I'm sure people have watched it..

Anyway, I was just wondering what kinds of things triggered anxiety attacks for other people...

Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Anxiety triggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchandra88
I'm going to try and not get too personal on this..I have a difficult time talking about it anyway...
I was watching a movie tonight and it was pretty disturbing... I felt alright before watching..but right in the middle of it, I started feeling nauseated and had shortened breath and my face got so hot, I had to splash cold water on it. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest..and had to will myself to calm down. I know all kinds of things can trigger anxiety attacks...for me, it was this movie. I think it was way too closely related to things that happened in my past. For all facts and purposes, the movie I was watching was called The Butterfly Effect.. pretty new release so I'm sure people have watched it..

Anyway, I was just wondering what kinds of things triggered anxiety attacks for other people...
I go through them all the time. Half of them I can't even put my finger on it. There is so much buried in the subconscious mind, God only knows what or why triggers happen.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 07:16 PM   #3

bertie6 HB User

I can say that I have gotten nervous watching certain shows (for example news on the war, or bad accidents or illnesses, etc)...I just switch the channel to snap myself out of it, and to get those thoughts out of my head (i usually begin watching something funny or lighthearted...or go do something else)...it's pretty normal for a person to get that way if you are a Nervous nelly in the first place, as i am. Rose =)

Old 07-16-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

I had been thinking about this a lot lately and I notice whenever I feel any strong emotion it comes on physically... It's almost like I'm afraid to feel strongly in case it brings on anxiety? I notice in movies where there are particularly intense moments my body tenses up and I get anxious. I've had plenty of panic attacks in the cinema.

My weakness is actually anxiety. When I eat I get stomach pain and nausea etc and with a high level of background anxiety I begin to stress about that and there's my trigger, that sets me off... So when I go out with mates for something to eat then go to the cinema I'm pretty much screwed :P

Old 07-16-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I'm kind of like Rosie -- when my anxiety is bad, I have a difficult time watching "true life" shows that relate to bad accidents or illnesses. The discovery channel shows these trauma shows that can really get to me. I think it's because these things REALLY do happen and in some ways it kind of reinforces me to worry about them. It's crazy, but true.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #6

Jchandra88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
I had been thinking about this a lot lately and I notice whenever I feel any strong emotion it comes on physically... It's almost like I'm afraid to feel strongly in case it brings on anxiety? I notice in movies where there are particularly intense moments my body tenses up and I get anxious. I've had plenty of panic attacks in the cinema.

My weakness is actually anxiety. When I eat I get stomach pain and nausea etc and with a high level of background anxiety I begin to stress about that and there's my trigger, that sets me off... So when I go out with mates for something to eat then go to the cinema I'm pretty much screwed :P
Yes exactly! I noticed this also. I didn't understand why I felt this way during certain times, but you're right.. I finally figured out that it was when it was any intense moment. It doesn't even have to be negative like sad or angry..even if it's happy, I'll get so caught up in the emotion, my throat will start to close and my heart will start thumping and my stomach starts to churn. It's really wierd.. I'm a pretty intense and dramatic person and it's never affected me like this before this year. It's like I can't handle heavy situations anymore... I was going to a psychologist and she said that I was so used to dramatic situations while growing up that I yearn for them now...it's like a dependency. But now I can't handle them very well at all.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:36 PM   #7

Sara67 HB User

Sometimes, just the fear of an anxiety attack is enough to bring one on. This is true for me in any case.

Closed Thread