It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #1

Silverlining HB User
Xanax/Alprazolam-Good, Bad, or Indifferent...

My doc gave me a prescription for Xanax to use prn. I haven't taken it yet. Just wondering what those who have think of it. I'm not worried about it being addictive since I don't plan to take it too often, just that it will make me too sleepy or spacey (even though it's only 0.25 mg). Thanks for any info!

Old 07-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Xanax/Alprazolam-Good, Bad, or Indifferent...

I took generic Xanax....Alprazolam....everyday for a very long time.
My pills were 1/2 MG.
I took 1/4MG in the morning and the other 1/4MG in the late afternoon/early evening.
Even from the very first time I took it I never felt sleepy or spaced out at all.
You have to remember though that these drugs don't work the same for everyone...just because it didn't make me tired doesn't mean it won't make you tired.
Just don't drive or do anything like that until you know how they're going to work in you system.
Another thing...and the bottle should say this...don't eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you're taking this medication...it interacts somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2004, 07:52 PM   #3

sweetums HB User

I've never heard anything about the grapefruit thing....and in fact love grapefruit juice and have never had any problems...
xanax can be fine, just be careful...I was given 1.5 mgs of xanax a day along with 400mgs of Wellbutrin for deep depression, but after awhile I just felt like I needed more...my doctor now has me taking 3mgs of xanax a day...I'm feeling alot better so I would like to get off the xanax, and have been trying to wean off of it for over a month now...I cut the dosage in half at first, and thought it was going well...but now I find myself taking more again....it is very easy to get addicted to this drug...and can be very difficult to get back off.
Everyone is different though, but I would use with caution!

Old 07-18-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know what the interaction is supposed to be, but I know my bottle had a warning label on it saying "Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice at any time while taking this medication."

Like I said I don't know what the interaction is supposed to be, but I don't like grapefruit at all so it was never and issue for me.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Gracie is 100 % percent accurate in stating not to take Xanax with Grapefruit juice, your prescription bottle should have a caution label on it right along with one that states dont drive or operate heavy machinery till you are adjusted to the drug, etc. Grapefruit juice affects a certain enzyme in the liver that metabolizes the drug Xanax, and many other for that matter, it inhibits the process and taken together magnifys the dosage substantially. It will cause more sedation, etc. A potential deadly combination, or accidental OD without realizing it.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #6

sweetums HB User

Well that is weird, I have never been told anything about grapefruit juice and it has never had anything on the label...only the operating heavy machinery thing and the alcohol warning...it does say something about prolonged sunshine, but that's it...but now you've got me curious....I have looked it up on the internet and haven't found any such warning about grapefruits in any of the sights, but I intend on asking my doctor about at my next visit in August...I really should know if there could be a problem, because like I said I love grapefruit juice and have never had a problem.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
(male)

Sickman HB User
Smile Re: Xanax/Alprazolam-Good, Bad, or Indifferent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlining
My doc gave me a prescription for Xanax to use prn. I haven't taken it yet. Just wondering what those who have think of it. I'm not worried about it being addictive since I don't plan to take it too often, just that it will make me too sleepy or spacey (even though it's only 0.25 mg). Thanks for any info!
Dear Silverlining,
I take xanax 1mg every 6 hours. I am actually taking it as a pain killer now because of another neurological and physical disorder. I took it for extreme panic attacks at first and I still have some minor symptoms when I let the panic get out of managability. I will say one thing to you and everyone else that will seem to contridict some of my writting helping people with benzo (xanax) side effects and such: If you can get past this with some type of therapy such as CBT then do so for your own sake. If you only require 0.25mg to stop panic attack symptoms then you can do this without the medications. You should try every avenue before medication and if you have to go on one then an srri would be better then a benzo. If you have to go on a benzo, klonopin would be a better choice since it lasts longer. For some of us medication is the only answer but it should be the last resort. A lot of people will tell you that you can take xanax as needed but it will always be a cruch and the more you use it as such it will become more frequent in use. Xanax was developed for short term usage only, not as needed or to be on it for years. My opinion of xanax, "it is the only way I can function at all". Taking medications sucks period but if that is what you have to do then that is it. Just don't think that meds or especially one of the most potient (xanax) is the only answer to your disorder. Try anything before the meds and take the lowest dosage of any medication that you need to stabilize your conditon. Good luck

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 07-19-2004, 01:42 AM   #8
(female)

jete23 HB User

I was taking Xanax before I started on LExapro for anxiety and panic, and thought it was wonderful. It mellowed me out instantly, and I would have loved to stay on it forever, except for its addictiveness.
I was only taking it when needed, which was only in a few instances, but I did notice that the next day, as the dosage wore out of my system, I felt very spacey, like I was out of it. But, that was a small price to pay for helping w/ my anxiety.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:27 AM   #9

chinagrl426 HB User

My doc prescribed me .25 mg. Thats really not that much. Ive taken it twice and havent felt anything from it. It will be fine as long as you use it only when you really need it.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #10

Gtpchic31 HB User

hi i also take xanax as needed. I take a half of .25 mg pill. My dad also did the as needed and it works great for me. I tried taking the full pill and it put me to sleep but taking a hald a dose works great. Also my dads rx said not to eat or drink grapfruit and so does my friends but mine doesnt. I wont eat of drink any but i just find it strange that mine doesnt say it.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just had to know what was up with the grapefruit and Xanax so I called the Pharmacy today and asked them
He said the reason the warning is on the bottle is because grapefruit or it's juice can cause the sedation effect of the Xanax to be stronger.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

My doctor told me that there is no a new slow release Xanax. Ask your doc about it

Old 07-20-2004, 06:51 PM   #13

Silverlining HB User

My prescription came with the warning about grapefruit. I knew not to take it w/it, but I didn't know why. Learned something new today!

Thanks for all the input. It's interesting to hear different opinions and experiences. I'll probably hold off on taking it unless I have trouble sleeping. It was prescribed a back-up until my AD kicked in.

Last edited by Silverlining; 07-20-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #14

archetype HB User

I'm on 1.5 mg a day, and to tell the truth don't notice any difference.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archetype
I'm on 1.5 mg a day, and to tell the truth don't notice any difference.
That only goes to show that these drugs don't work the same in everyone.
I only took 1/2 MG a day...1/4 in the morning and the other 1/4 in the late afternoon or early evening and it really helped me.
But then again I'm really sensitive to medication....one benadryl can knock me out and I know people that take two at a time and they say they don't feel tired at all.

Closed Thread