It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User
Holiday Anxiety

I'm going on holiday on Thursday, with my parents. Aaand, just like I suspected, I am starting to really freak out about it. What about the plane journey? I wasn't scared of them till last year when I freaked out and had huge panic attacks here there and everywhere - And that was a 50 min flight! This is 8 and a half hours! I think my fear was that I would feel ill and not be able to do what I want and help myself feel better etc. The thought of going to another country is sending my anxiety sky high. I am actually really worried about catching something while I'm over there and throwing up - how silly is that? (It is funny that as I type this my intestines are going into major spasms)

How do you deal with flying anxiety and "going on holiday" anxiety? I am so close to just not going

Thanks,
Lesley xxx

Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Holiday Anxiety

Xanax or Valium. Tell your doc that you are flying and having panic attacks. Ask for just a few. Take enough to sleep through the flight. Works for everyone that I know. Docs are very understanding about this. If you are worried about stomach problems take Pepto with you and ask your doc for a couple of compazine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 02:42 AM   #3

Jordie HB User

I was exactly feeling like you. I had to go to Bali with a bunch of people to be in my best friends wedding. I was sick leading up to it, with dizziness, all over pain, I was so scared about the flight, and about having a p/a in front of everyone, and not having my own friends and family there to help me.

I've got to tell you, now that I'm back, I had a wonderful time, sure, I had a couple of 'minor' panic attacks, but I was so determined to ignore them.

On the flight, just occupy yourself. Talk to people, watch a movie and really engross yourself, read a book, and stretch heaps too. Drink loads of water. The 8 hours will go really quickly if you do this. You really can do it, you need to believe that. Sure it's easy for me to say now that I'm back, but it's so true.
Don't let the p/attacks control you, you control them!!

Good luck, and have a wonderful holiday! That's what life is all about.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 AM   #4

pingpong HB User

My god, I seem to have something to say on everyone's post today. I have had 2 holidays this year (can't manage any more), well one weekend away in paris with a disasterous start - my passport had expired - need I say more but this is how my panic attacks became really obvious although I still didn't know what they were but I was unable to last more than a few minutes in the Notre Dame, I couldn't look up without nearly passing out, couldn't get in a taxi to get back to the hotel. My then partner & I had to walk miles in the wind & rain - as I said, a complete disaster.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit now but I think the valium is an absolute must, I haven't tried it but know several people that do & I would not attempt to fly without it - good luck !

Old 07-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Xanax and valium are out. I'm 16, and the doc's are very reluctant to prescribe me anything. I'm a bit afraid of taking tablets too. It all comes back to being afraid of being sick. I think that's my main thing with it. Even though I tell myself it's never happened before and has no reason to happen again, I still fight against this theory saying it COULD happen etc.

This whole thing is making my anxiety go crazy. It is way too late to talk to my doc anyway and she has been great with me, she's done all she can as of right now supposedly. *sigh*

Old 07-20-2004, 07:50 AM   #6

pingpong HB User

I understand not wanting to take valium etc which is why I've just been looking at the alternative therapy board. For panic attacks the one that stands out as having the best results is, bach's rescue remedy - don't know if you have heard of this or tried it ? I think I may get some though. As I've only just heard of it, I don't know if you are able to take it but I should think so as it is herbal.

This is going to sound lame but you have got to focus on the positive parts of the trip. My problem with flying & yours I'm sure is that you cannot get off the thing once you have boarded & once you focus on that well, you have a problem. Try to find something herbal to calm you down, just think of flying as something you have to do so that you can get to the fab destination & new experiences - you don't want to miss out on them do you ?

You are not trapped on the plane or the new country - you have chosen to fly to get you to your destination quickly because you are looking forward to getting there.... don't let those negative feelings loose...okay

Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 PM   #7

seawater HB User

I feel for you. I hate flying too. The trick is to deprive yourself of sleep the night before. And perhaps your parents might be open to getting you some over-the-counter medication to make you drowsy.

Damamine will help with motion sickness, the trick is not to get the non-drowsy formula; I'm not sure if they even make it anymore. Or you might opt for an antihistamine, like Actifed or even Sominex.

Next, bring your favorite CD's and player and pretend you're not even on the plane. With any luck you will fall asleep. I used to bring a pillow on board but I don't know if they allow them now.

This may not help, but I think nobody is fond of flying anymore. Everybody is probably just as miserable as you are.

So where are you off to anyway?

Old 07-21-2004, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Hey thanks again for all the replies.

To pingpong - I have tried Bachs and I did have some but I have lost it. It was pretty good as far as I can remember... It may be a bit late to get any now. I will try though! Excellent suggestion. I wonder if I'd be able to pick up some at the airport?

What you say is true I am terrified of not being able to get off. My main remedy for a panic attack is going for a nice walk in the fresh air and there's no chance of me having that :-|

You are right every time I think about not going, I just think, do I really want to say to people that I didn't go away? And have to say I was too bloody scared of having panic attacks? In a way I want this experience though all in all I don't think it's going to be worth it.

To seawater - I am terrible with meds lol. Again I'm sure it all comes back to this whole afraid of being sick thing. And I actually don't get motion sickness as far as I know! That's the silly thing... But my mind says, oh it COULD happen when I try to think positively. Grr. lol.

I've got CD's, book, the lot, and I'm going have to try my best to get through it. I'm just plain terrified. I kept thinking last night about having an attack on the plane and how small it will feel and it made extremely uncomfortable.

Jet lag is my new worry too. How will that affect my body??

Closed Thread