It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 11:14 PM   #1

commited HB User
BAD chest pains

I get chest pains,really sharp ones that come very quickley and its kind of like when I breathe in deep (to try and relax) that it hurts even more and I just kind of have to take shallow breaths.Im starting to think its from stress but I also have anxiety problems so I always think its a heart attack.

How can I stop these from happening?

Old 07-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: BAD chest pains

I think you know the answer, you need to relax. I have the same problem and it took my internist a long time to convince me there was nothing wrong with my heart. Once he did convince me though it had got much better. Now when it comes on I just forget about it. Before I would worry about it and it only got worse. Get a physical and when your doctor tells you there is nothing wrong believe him and stop worrying about it. This has helped me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Listen to Rick. The more attention to pay to it, the more it is going to feed your fear. You do need to learn to relax. If you relax, your breathing will be normal and you won't have to worry about taking those hugh, deep breaths. Also, if it's any comfort, heart-attacks don't just hurt people when they take a deep breath. If you are truly scared, maybe you should see your doctor for your own piece of mind (if you haven't already). However, it most likely is anxiety related, but if it's not, I would guess maybe it's pleurisy or something like that (nothing life-threatining)! Relax sweetie, your going to be ok.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #4

Makenna HB User

I had the same problem, and do you know what it was? I was so anxious all the time, that the muscles in my chest were extremely tight. Even when I went to relax I couldn't because my muscles were so tensed. Then I got even more afraid and things progressed from there.
I know it is hard, and I know that you are afraid- but it is only the anxiety, and it can't kill you. And what dosen't kill you can only make you stronger!!

Much love
Makenna

Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

tgrose HB User

My Mother-in-law is a massage therapist, and she pointed out to me that when I was having those chest pains like you're describing, I was "pulling in". In other words, I was protecting my chest. She gave me some great stretches to do to combat that. Your muscles are really tight in the chest area, and you have to stretch back, like your pulling your shoulders way back. Do that a few times a day, and it really helps.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I was diagnosed w/Costochondritis and have had it for 5-6 months. I thought is was my heart so i got checked out. I have anxiety and panic so, when i have a flare up of costo, it sends me into a panic because w/costo, your chest hurts. It is inflammation of the rib cartilage that feels similar of a panic attack and or heart problems. It is caused by bracing during panic attack among other things. I have been to a cardiologist and have been checked out but I am still convinced that I am gonna die and that the docs missed something. I am a single mom and this rules almost everyday of my life. I NEED ME BACK! I take Klonopin for the panic but the thoughts are still there. I don't like taking meds because of a bad experience coming off of Effexor a couple years ago. I just tell myself that I have been going through this for 6 months now and if it was my heart, I would have died by now. This works about 3/4 of the time. I am seeing a therapist as well. Good luck to us all. PEACE!

Closed Thread