It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 01:53 AM   #1
(male)

sd3 HB User
Anticipation Anxiety

Hi All,

It seems for me the big problem is whenever I am anticipating something these days like a meeting with a colleague I don't particularly like or if I have a big day ahead of me that this is the sort of thing that generates anxiety in me. It's ridiculous because I am more than capable of handling myself in these situations but still it stirs up my stomach etc and I end up having a lousy nights sleep or wake up stressed out. I end up running through the whole ordeal over and over in my head before the event occurs. I wish I could just block it out and not have it bother me until I am actually at the event. Anyone have any tips on stopping this sort of behaviour or "reprogramming" the brain to not react in this way (without drugs would be good).

thanks...sd3

Old 07-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #2

seawater HB User
Re: Anticipation Anxiety

When you say "these days" does that mean that the situation you described didn't create anxiety before? Or were you able to cope with it better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

LIT HB User

i totally know what u mean
i do the same thing
except i also think the worst possible situation

for example when i dont get a message back from my friend
i think that she hates me and that she doesnt want to talk to me
the worst possible situations go running through my head

it starts to over take you and you think you are going nuts for thinking this way

ive have been seeing a therapist for 2 weeks now and he is slowly helping me get through this problem, amongst others

is it that ure scared that something bad will happen to embarrass you, or is it that u are scared of what might happen.

maybe seeing a therapist will help
its starting to help me see things in a different light

it may be able to help you aswell

Old 07-22-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
(male)

sd3 HB User

Thanks for the replies!

Seawater - I got hit with a virus last year that messed up my balance and caused me instant anxiety problems ever since. I'm still recovering and still have anxiety hanging around. So whereas before I might get a little "revved" before some sort of event, I never lost sleep over it. But now I do and any nervous reaction seems 10x worse than it used to. I keep trying my hardest to NOT let it bother me, to just "get over it" but it can still eat away at me.

LIT - yup it's a real pain in the back side isn't it? Luckily, I don't really fear the worst but I think for me it's more fear about looking stupid or not performing as I would like. Actually been reading a book called "The Four Agreements". Very cool read...about not judging and not taking things personally. I think the way around this is to keep "programming" yourself with more useful and empowering thoughts rather than thinking "I'll blow it" or I'm not good enough" etc. It's so easy to think the negative though. A human flaw I think!

Thanks....sd3

Old 07-23-2004, 08:56 PM   #5

Alli1981 HB User

hey!
i have the exact same feelings. it is almost like i become obssessed with my thoughts and they take control. it is always anticpatory anxiety for me. Cognitive behavoir therapy has worked wonders for me. i just started about 3-4 weeks ago but it has made such a difference already. you don't believe how much it will help until you actually go, or at least that was the case for me. there are also some great books on cbt. it really focuses on anticipatory anxiety too. hang in there!
alli

Old 07-23-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Alli,

Do you think it's essential to go to a CBT therapist or is getting into a good book on this just as good. Any recommendations for books?

Thanks.......sd3

Old 07-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #7

Alli1981 HB User

hi!
for me going to a therapist has really made the biggest difference. it is very targeted and interactive therapy and you see results quickly. i heard "been there, done that, do this" by sam obitz is a good book but i have not read it. you could try looking up cbt on the web or even at amazon.com and maybe get some results. hang in there!
alli

Old 07-25-2004, 06:24 AM   #8

Marty286 HB User

Hello there! It seems none of us are alone with this problem! I thought i was... I have similar experiences, it used to be terrible before a game of rugby or to just seeing my girlfriend! Once i got there i was fine but the experience beforehand was horrible, i would vomit and get really stressed out. I did eventually seek some professional help and it did work wonders! If theres one thing i learnt, its that nothing is the end of the world, whatever happens time still goes by! I hope this helps

Old 07-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
(female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User

Add me to the list of people who experience this, too. The "anticipation" of something is always a lot worse than whatever the actual event is! Probably going to the doctor is when I experience this the most. Even though I tell myself things will be fine, and I'm just going to talk to the doctor, nothing major ... I still freak out as the appointment approaches. By the time I get there, my anxiety is through the roof and my blood pressure is high. I also experience this when I have any kind of appointment or meeting with someone I'm not comfortable with. I haven't yet found a way to prevent it from happening. I have a therapist and she tells me to just stop and ask myself what I'm afraid will happen ... what is the worst case scenario ... and make myself realize that it's not as bad as I think.

Closed Thread