It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #1

Makenna HB User
Afraid to Go

My life is finally moving in the direction that I wanted it to go.
I got out of a bad marriage, I have custody of my children, I am with a wonderful man who loves me, we just bought a house together and I am returning back to university in the fall. So why am I having panic attacks and feeling out of control again????

All of a sudden I am afraid to drive in the city, I am afraid to be away from home for too long. I am afraid of the physical symptoms that are starting over again.
I am afraid because I feel so lazy...like I am not doing a good enough job with my children, or with my house. I am just SO tired... I can't sleep enough. I could sleep for 12 hours and be so tired by 2:00 that I have to lie down again.

I got through severe anxiety before (without meds) and I think I am going to have to do it again and it scares me to death.
Please, anyone that is out there, I could really use some words of wisdom or maybe just a little reassurance.

Thanks
Makenna

Old 07-22-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: Afraid to Go

Makenna,

Although it appears as it is coming "out of the blue" it is the precursors beforehand that need to be looked at. Often it is the stress period before, that we do extremely well coping with, and when its all said and down, ready for down time, BAM, PANIC!!

Look at what you have been through,

1) Bad Marriage and Divorce
2) Custody Battle Over your Kids
3) Meeting someone New (good thing yet, still stressful like a new baby)
4) A new House, that meant moving and mortgage
5) Enrolling and on verge of returning to University

That is quite a bit even if it was over a 3 yr period to happen. Try to practice your coping skills from the first time, breathing, walking and enjoying the scenery around you, living in the moment, this too shall pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to makenna

you need some meds, were you on them at all before? if so the same ones will help

valium and an antidepressant are the most usual, many books and tapes are available on coping with the anxiety and panic attacks but meds make recovery much faster and easier

Old 07-26-2004, 01:18 PM   #4

Jchandra88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
to makenna

you need some meds, were you on them at all before? if so the same ones will help

valium and an antidepressant are the most usual, many books and tapes are available on coping with the anxiety and panic attacks but meds make recovery much faster and easier
Well, that is one opinion. I was on Lexapro once and it set back any kind of progress I'd made without the meds. I would look to nonmedicinal methods first. Medication is something to be taken as a last resort. Too much can happen as a result of taking drugs.. Maybe try taking some herbs or something if you really want to ingest something..

I hate how one can seemingly get through a stressful period and be fine during it, and then the nonstress period is when you feel the effects. Doesn't seem fair. Good luck Makenna..

Old 07-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Makenna,
It sounds like you have been through a lot over a short period of time. It also sounds as though, for that reason, you were running yourself pretty hard. Maybe your brain and body just haven't caught up to eachother yet. Perhaps the reason that you are still experiencing a lot of stress/panic is because your brain is expecting those things to still be going on (e.g. it's still kicking in extra doses of adrenaline for those times when you were going through the divorce, custody battles, etc. when you no longer need that added adrenaline), and--presto--you are experiencing what you percieve to be panic attacks (when it's simply some additional adrenaline running through your body).

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but this possibility did occur to me, so I thought I would mention it. I would recommend that you talk with a doctor about your panic attacks. If nothing else, you should mention your need for a lot of extra sleep, as this could be an indicator of a potential problem.

Have you had a chance to really relax recently? I'm sure with children, a husband, and all sorts of other responsibilities, it's difficult to find time...but I think you might want to consider trying to find perhaps one day over a weekend when you could have some "alone time." We all need that sometimes, and I think that it might help you to do the unwinding that you may need .

Colleen

Old 07-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #6

Sara67 HB User

Hello Makenna,

Hello Makenna

You seem to be getting some good advice, so I won't repeat what has already been suggested. However, I just wanted to congratulate you for rebuilding your life and making so many possitive changes to your life over the past three years. You are obviously a very strong lady.

Best wishes

Sara

Closed Thread