It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
Inactive

Aries872 HB User
Unhappy Fear of Dying & Taking Meds.

I am 32 and was diagnosed w/Costochondritis and have had it for 5-6 months. I thought is was my heart so i got checked out. I have anxiety and panic so, when i have a flare up of costo, it sends me into a panic because w/costo, your chest hurts. It is inflammation of the rib cartilage that feels similar of a panic attack and or heart problems. I have been to a cardiologist and have been checked out but I am still convinced that I am gonna die and that the docs missed something. I am a single mom and this rules almost everyday of my life. I NEED ME BACK! I take Klonopin for the panic but the thoughts are still there. I don't like taking meds because of a bad experience coming off of Effexor a couple years ago. I just tell myself that I have been going through this for 6 months now and if it was my heart, I would have died by now. This works about 3/4 of the time. I am seeing a therapist as well. Good luck to us all. PEACE! I am at a loss here.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: Fear of Dying & Taking Meds.

I have costo as well, it has really improved over the years, although I have learned that I just can NOT lift anything or basically use my chest muscles in any way, shape or form. It sucks but atleast it keeps the pain away most of the time.

I also have a heart condition, so I can maybe help you clear up some of your concerns.
What heart tests have you had done? Do you have a family history of heart trouble?
Heart pain is usually not the kind of pain that you can point to, its more like a crushing(elephant on your chest) type of pain. Also, with costo the chest/ribs are usually tender(sometimes extremely). Tenderness is not usually indicative of heart problems.
Anti-inflammatories are usually suggested. Are you on an anti inflammatory?

The best advice from my own experience is to avoid using your chest muscles--I know it is hard especially when you have young children, I have been there, my youngest is 4. I have had costo now for about 9-10 yrs. When I am really suffering a warm bath will usually help.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Rest assured if they have given your heart a good check, then the cause is the costo...and sometimes anxiety. Anxiety can give you all the symptoms you fear the most.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I have had an ultrasound on my heart and ekg with stress test and he said it was more than likely not myheart. I also have anxiety and when a bad one comes I can't help but think that it is my heart. I went mis diagnoes for months. My doc told me it was reflux and then I still had pain on the meds and told him and he had me do an upper GI which came back minimal. I still had the pain and went to a diff doc and he told me that I had Costo. This sounded more along the lines of what I was experiencing. My Dad just had stints put in for blockages in Feb so my anxiety went sky high.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Well, it sounds like you have had a pretty good workup. Do you have chest pain with exercise(climbing stairs etc). If it is simply achy and not associated with exercise, then you can rule out the heart. I understand where you are coming from though, my anxiety has gotten the best of me many times. It is always good to mention to your Dr any family history of course. You have to try and find what is best at easing your pain, hopefully you can find something... and start enjoying your life...and worrying less.

Take care
Abby

Old 07-25-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Well, I mowed the lawn yesterday and that didnt help. It occurs either later in the day after I have done something or the next day. Also, I toss and turn at night and sometimes wake up in pain. I am a single mom and it is up to me to clean the house, mowe the lawn, dishes etc....I hate this and it hurts so bad sometimes that I think it can't possibly be something that simple as costo. I do believe that if it were my heart that I would have had something happen by now ya know? Thanks for replying. I have a long way to go on my panic and anxiety though. I am getting better. I had a bad time last night and just took a klonopin and laid on a heating pad and went to sleep. I am feeling a bit anxious this a.m. though. I also smoke but much less since this started which is a good thing. I noticed that smoking has a part in it too. What does yours feel like when it flares up?

Aries872

Old 07-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

I haven't had a really bad flare up for awhile now but when it did I too always thought the worst. I made many trips to the ER because of it. My chest is always very tender(even when it isn't causing me pain). It was this constant ache all over my chest, and occassionally sharper pains here or there.
Some flare ups were worse than others so even moving my arms caused pain. My chest felt heavy too, I was also sometimes short of breath. After a couple days of taking it easy, I would feel better. Mine always bothered me more in the evening or the day after doing something.(Sometimes from simply lifting my child). I was a single mom when diagnosed so I know it is pretty much impossible for you to 'take it easy'.
The heating pad is a good idea and have done that many times myself.

They often say an injury to the chest or an illness can cause it. The only thing I can link it too is a really bad cold I had about 2 months prior. I don't know if that is for sure what caused it though.(I may be grasping at straws).
I seldom do any lifting (and fortunately hubby mows the grass) so I am able to live without a lot of pain. It stills bothers me occassionally.

Its basically like having arthritis in your breastbone/ribcage, so you may find relief from arthritis meds or even get some advice from those on the arthritis board, maybe they have some secrets remedies.

Obviously what worked for me is not something you can do at this point in your life, however I do hope you find some relief soon.

Take care
Abby

Old 07-26-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Thank you. Sounds exactly that same as what I am dealing with. I got a friend of mine's husband to mowe my lawn yesterday. I had to cook him dinner though. LOL. Small price to pay, ya know? Thanks for all your help. I am gonna look on the arthritis board now. I am just so bummed that I am 32 and and may possibly have to deal with this for awhile. Take care.

Aries872

Last edited by Aries872; 07-26-2004 at 07:03 AM.

Closed Thread