It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #1

sweetprincesita HB User
How long does it take for stress to cause "symptoms"??

Hey everybody!! I was just wondering....to the people who have health problems due to stress/anxiety, how long were you under continuous stress before your health started to be affected? Here's my situation: About 7 weeks ago, I had sex with my boyfriend for the first time and the condom broke. I am 6 months pregnant and haven't been with the baby's father since before I found out I was pregnant. I felt bad having sex with my boyfriend because I knew it was a selfish decision, I should have been thinking about my baby and not myself. So, when the condom broke, I started freaking out about HIV. My boyfriend said that he got tested in October and was fine and I don't think he would lie to me. But then again, a lot of people we trust usually crap on us, don't they??? LOL....so anyways I know just about everyone who's scared of HIV gets classic "symptoms", but there were a few for me that I could not ignore. Here they are:

Twitching all over my body
Tingling in hands, they were both actually numb for a whole day
Itchy skin, little "bug bites", never had hives so don't know what they look like
Pain in one of my toes and in one of my fingers

I hear that stress can cause those things (but so can HIV), but how long does one have to be severely stressed for them to happen? I guess you could say that I have been thinking/stressing about HIV literally every minute of every day for about 7 weeks now. Is that long enough? I do think it's stress related though because I've had a pounding heart even when I'm not conciously thinking about it and I've had bad chest pains almost every day now. It's just hard to shake my fear. I sent in the Home Access test today, so I guess I'll know soon if I'm going to live or die. I am just so stressed about the baby, I can't get over it. I would rather die 1,000 times than watch my child suffer over something selfish that I did. So, any answers would definatley help me....and prayers would help too!!!! =-) I surely learned the biggest lesson of my life this time!!

Sorry this post is so long!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #2

Tattood HB User
Re: How long does it take for stress to cause "symptoms"??

Hi there

Wow you sound just like me, and you guessed it. I have anxiety. I'm not a doctor nor do i even post that much but i know sometimes an encouraging word can help ALOT. Your just really stressed I get those symtoms and probobly 20 more sometimes when my stress level gets a bit high. I highly doubt you would have gotton aids with those symtoms and the statistical odds. I used used to think i had every condition and disease under the sun it'll just take a bit to convince yourself that it is all in your head. You'll be ok your sitution sounds really stressful and that is likely the root of your problems

Last edited by Tattood; 07-25-2004 at 12:22 AM.

Old 07-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

You need to calm down. I can tell one thing about stress, the more you worry about something the worse the symptoms get. I know, I've been there. It just keeps snowballing. You are going to worry yourself into a hospital if you don't relax.

As for getting HIV you have to look at this realistically. The odds of getting it from one encounter are so very low, even if your boyfriend has it, which I doubt he has. You are not going to worry about the next time you get into a car, are you? You have a much more chance of getting killed in a car accident than getting HIV. If you had multiple sex partners and was a drug addict and very careless, then that is a different story. Even then people get away with it for years and years. Relax, you sound so stressed out and yes it can cause all these symptoms very quickly. Write us back when you get the results. If I was a betting man I would say you will tell us every thing is o:k. I will pray your stress level drops.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #4

BarbeeGee HB User

I can relate. I kept getting vaginal infections one after another. I bought over-the-counter medication and happened to read the back of the package.
It said that frequent infections could be a symtom of HIV. I freaked. I had an anxiety attack that was a 29 on a scale of 10.

I then decided to talk to my doctor. We decided to test for HIV... it was negative and also she discovered after questioning me that I had been taking a lot of antibiotics due to dental work and that is what was causing my infections.

I often read something and think I have it. The solution is to stay away from medical books and health articles. If something is wrong with your body, see your doctor. Bottom line... don't try to diagnose yourself.

Closed Thread