It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #1

Sara67 HB User
Post Swollen throat

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if any of you have experienced swelling in the throat. I have noticed that it occurs when I am stressed, upset or tired.

There is no pain at all. I do tend to cough but I think that, that is because of the swelling in the tonsils and adanoids. They actually swell up so much that when they come up, I can't use a pillow or lay on my back becuse they obstruct my breathing.

There are no signs of infection, my glands do not come up and the swelling responds well to anti inflammatory medication.

As I said before, there is apsolutely no pain what so ever.

Up until now, I have put this down to stress and anxiety, but to be honest, it is starting to worry me. If anyone has any ideas, or if anyone else has experienced this, I would really appreciate hearing from you

Thanks

Sara

Last edited by Sara67; 07-27-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
(male)

junior26 HB User
Re: Swollen throat

Is it like a choking feeling, like as if you're wearing a turtle-neck that's too tight? I too have been having chronic anxiety for a month now, and that was one of my first symptoms. Now I'm basically just lightheaded all the time. And my stools are a little funky.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I have had that sensation but when I looked at my throat, nothing was blocking it. Stress can cause the feeling of choking but if your throat is blocked, you might have an allergic reaction. Need to get that checked.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
(male)

balsaaq HB User

Wow that turtle neck description is dead on, when I get anxious my shirt, no matter how loos, feels like its choking me, its a weird sensation..

Old 07-30-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

That is one of the feelings I have - the turtleneck feeling. My Dr. said it was trachitis and that it could take up to a month to do away.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #6

Sara67 HB User

Hi Everyone

I know the feeling you mean, but this is inflamation of the actual tissues and it responds to aspirin gargle. I wonder if this is also a side effect of anxiety?

Thanks for your suggestions

Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Sounds more like a viral infection or possible allergies.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #8

Sara67 HB User

Hi everyone

I went to the docors toady and I thought you might be interested in what he had to say:

He is going to send off some blood to confirm it, but he thinks I may still have glandular fever in my system. I first got GF 3 years ago. I didn't know I had it until my throat almost closed up for 5 days!

I was quite shocked when he said this but aparently, the virus remains in your system for the rest of your life. Your body is able to fight off the virus under normal circumstances, but during times of extreme stress, it can flair up in some people.

He has told me to continue Gargling with Aspirin and taking anti inflammatories. Get some rest and try to relax.

This diagnosis has not been confirmed yet but it does seem to make sense and just having a name for it has made me feel a bit better. You can imagin what I was thinking can't you.

Thank you all for you help and support

Sara

Closed Thread