It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Lightbulb Do your legs fall asleep all the time?!!!!

This drives me nuts, and I am now wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Carrie

Old 07-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
(female)

LIT HB User
Re: Do your legs fall asleep all the time?!!!!

its not my legs, its my arms

i have terribly bad circulation
that would more than likely be the problem

i have to practically lift my arm up if its asleep
it is normally when i am in bed

annoying as anything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

are you wearing tight stockings?
numbness can be caused by anxiety but its usually to the hands feet and head, caused by the fight or flight response

see a doc about it

Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

junior26 HB User

Yep, both my legs and arms tend to fall asleep more easily since I've started having really bad health anxiety last month. I've also been constantly lightheaded (spacey) 24/7 since it all started. It really sucks, but I try not to think about it hoping that it will go away.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
(male)

stackzone HB User

this happens to me mostly in the morning. i was told raynauds causes this and its harmless.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

LIT HB User

what are raynauds?

Old 07-30-2004, 08:09 AM   #7
(male)

junior26 HB User

Are you stressed? Your veins and blood vessels constrict when you're stressed which causes among many other things to make your arms and legs fall asleep easily. Even as I'm sitting in front of my computer right now, I have to change the position of my legs because they're falling asleep.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi all,
Well I am glad to see I am not the only one. And yes I am stressed, I have a super stressful job. I am beginning to think that the whole thing may be a result of chronic hyperventilation. Thanks for your responses!
Carrie

Old 07-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #9

sandtrout HB User

May not be related but do you drink plenty of water (no softdrinks don't count)? I used to get really bad charlie horses along with tingling senstations in my legs and from what I've read on the web it was mostly likely because I was a bit dehydrated. So by upping my water intake I've been able to stop those dreadful charlie horses. Damn they really hurt too!

Old 08-01-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
(male)

stackzone HB User

you can search raynauds, from what im told its when your blood vessels constrict causing numbness, stress or temperature can be trigger for this.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Talking Re: For bad circulation

LIT ---
For bad circulation, try using Cayenne capsules or tea. It will aid in improving
circulation and strengthen all parts of the circulatory system and help to normalize blood pressure.

Last edited by wackytoposthere; 08-01-2004 at 10:54 PM.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #12
(male)

junior26 HB User

I've been trying out fish oil supplements for my anxiety and for my circulation. Apparently fish oil acts as a natural anti-depressant. In 69% of people tested, it reduced symptoms by 50% or more. I've been using it for a few days now and my circulation actually seems a little better. Give it a try. It makes me regurgitate and burp a fishy taste for a couple of hours after I take it, but it might not do that with you. I have acid reflux, it doesn't help.

Make sure you get the Omega-3 ones. Not the Omega 3-6-9. Mine are 1000mg. They're big! I didn't know whether to swallow them or ***** them with a needle and drink the liquid! Hee hee!

Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

gosh, all of these responses make me feel a little better That's a sad thing to say really -- I wish none of us worried about any of it. Lately though, I've noticed that my feet and hands fall asleep easily if I don't move them around. Also, lasts night I had a terrible charly horse in my sleep.

dizzygirl -- I honestly think you may be onto something there. I think I am constantly hyperventilating to a small degree. If I pay too much attention to my breathing I'll start trying to take really deep breaths, but I never feel like I've filled my lungs up. If I don't think about it, I'm fine though. I am being treated for an underactive thyroid and in the last 4 months I"ve seen two doctors who did a complete metabolic work-up on me. Both times, my carbon dioxide came back out of range high. Both doctors told me it was nothing to worry about (and I agree), but it lends further credit to the thought that I'm overbreathing. hmmm.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
(male)

junior26 HB User

A test to see if you have bad circulation...

1. Stand up and place your hands on a table or counter.
2. Your hands should have a little color in them, a little reddish.
3. Raise one of your hands to the level of your head, like as if you want to ask a question.
4. Leave it there for 15 seconds.
5. Bring it back down with your other hand. If one is reddish, and the other in really pale, your circulation is not that good.
6. If it tingles while it's in the air, you have really bad circulation.

Of course, raising any part of your body above your heart will reduce blood flow to that part, but it should not be doing so after only 15 seconds.

As for me, it makes my hand tingle after 10 seconds. And I have high blood pressure! I guess it's not that high after all.

Last edited by junior26; 08-04-2004 at 11:49 AM.

Closed Thread