It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #1

Jchandra88 HB User
Social situations heighten anxiety

A few weeks ago, everything seemed like it was going fine.. I thought I was finally getting over this anxiety disorder. All the symptoms seemed to be fading away. Then I went out with a few of my coworkers.. We didn't do anything big, just went to one of their houses and played games and stuff. There were more people there than I expected.. But I was fine the whole time. But ever since then, the symptoms have been coming back. The depersonalization, fatique, dizziness, everything.. It's like I'm fine during the socializing, and then afterwards, I come crashing down hard. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

Old 07-29-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Social situations heighten anxiety

social anxiety often comes and goes and cant usually be predicted, it helps to have a few valium type tablets with you so you can swaallow 1 at the start of anxiety as this will calm you and allow you to enjoy the peoples company

when anxious, remember to relax and breathe deep and slow, dont tense up or fight back against it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

JChandra,
I find that social situations where there are a lot of people tend to tire me out sometimes, too, so I have an idea about how you might feel. If you feel tired afterwards, just allow yourself to rest/sleep . I have found that taking some alone time for myself allows me to revitalize, and I feel better able to go back out there and be with people. I have always been a bit shyer and more reserved, so I have been dealing with this most of my life. I think that most of it comes from the fact that I get overstimulated when I'm at a big social gathering or party.

Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 07-30-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Ya know what? This whole dizziness , anxiety thing started the day after a huge wedding that I was in. I think that the time, I was so stressed, and always had to be "on". Right after that, for 3 days, I was bed ridden. That was the beginning, and the worst that it ever was. Sometimes, I can manage to get through social things ok, and then the next day, I feel like I was run over by a truck. I tell ya, the more that we all talk, I feel so much more human, that I am not the only person with these problems. Thanks I guess! Another thing, it is really easy for people tell you to try to calm down etc, but if you could honestly do that, don't you think that you would do that? Your mind is soooo strong. It's not that easy!!!
Carrie

Old 07-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

The problem, I found, with social situations is that being a sensitive person, I take on everyone's feelings without even talking to them. I think that happens to a lot of people with anxiety issues. We aren't even aware that we are doing this and it can exhaust us and make it almost impossible to relax after an event. We have to learn to take it slow and when things get overwhelming, we need to step back and regroup.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

Tynel HB User

I get that all the time. I can handle a social situation, and while I do have a bit of anxiety at the time, it is afterwards that I completely crash. I start thinging about who said what, what they are thinking, how I came across, etc etc. Its awful. I cant get my mind off these things.

Closed Thread