It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #1

Fred1976 HB User
Morning Anxiety

Anyone here wake up about an hour before they are supposed too and can't get back to sleep? This has just started happening the past week. This moring woke up and it felt like I was trembling inside, kinda like you're real cold or nervous. Once I got up and got going it went away and I'm just kinda nervous.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Morning Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1976
Anyone here wake up about an hour before they are supposed too and can't get back to sleep? This has just started happening the past week. This moring woke up and it felt like I was trembling inside, kinda like you're real cold or nervous. Once I got up and got going it went away and I'm just kinda nervous.

Hi Fred. Yep, happens to me. That's anxiety. I suggest listen to a relaxation self-hypnosis cd. It does help.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Yes, lately it is almost part of my routine. I have been doing this for the past several years. I wake up at 6:30am and the mind starts racing and the anxiety builds until I just have to get up and walk. It's no fun.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #4

Fred1976 HB User

Thanks everyone. I hope that it's somthing that willl go away in time or I learn to ignore it. With anxiety it seems that symptoms are always changing.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
Inactive

Frank168 HB User

Something about morning anxiety. If you feel your anxiety is worse in the mornings and slowly get better as the day goes by it's most likely due to coritsol levels (stress hormone). In the morning your cortisol levels are at their highest starting from a little before 6am to 8am. During this time your cortisol levels are the highest because during the night you haven't been eatting and the body spikes up your cortisol levels to facilitate waking. I've found that by eatting a banana at bedtime the banana acts as a slow release of sugar into the bloodstream over the course of the night and my morning anxiety/irritablilty is reduced because my body wasn't really fasting that much overnight. I learned of this trick by reading an article about how eatting a banana at bedtime helps regulate low blood sugar levels during the night. Since low blood sugar (fasting) at night translates to the intensity of cortisol spiking in the morning I found that banana at bedtime is not only good for regulating low blood sugar levels at night but doing so this also translates to lowering your morning cortisol levels. Maybe you guys wanna try it out for a few nights and report back to see if this works for you?

Frank

Last edited by Frank168; 08-01-2004 at 02:57 AM.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Frank, good idea. Now sometimes I eat a sandwich or apple before bed and it helps, but I'll have to try the banana thing. With anxiety, we tend to feel hypoglycemic.

Also, for the ones who are having that morning rush, try CBT or replacing those what if's or negative thoughts with positive ones. Don't put pressure on yourself, but allow your mind to think positive things, you won't die, trust me.

Andrea

Old 08-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Inactive

Frank168 HB User

Andrea,

The article I read recommended banana's because they're easier to digest than other foods while sleeping and because banana's will give a a slow steady release of sugars into the bloodstream whereas eatting other foods will probably give 'spikes'??? Another thing about banana's at bedtime is tryptophan. Banana's are a good natrual source of tryptophan and will help you to have a good restful sleep while raising seretonin levels. I don't think a person having a true hypoglycemia or not matters all that much and shouldn't factor into this working for morning anxiety. The fact that steady blood sugar levels are sustained during the night is what will reduce the huge cortisol surges during the 6 - 8am time period and help with the morning crazies.

Frank

Old 08-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank168
Andrea,

The article I read recommended banana's because they're easier to digest than other foods while sleeping and because banana's will give a a slow steady release of sugars into the bloodstream whereas eatting other foods will probably give 'spikes'??? Another thing about banana's at bedtime is tryptophan. Banana's are a good natrual source of tryptophan and will help you to have a good restful sleep while raising seretonin levels. I don't think a person having a true hypoglycemia or not matters all that much and shouldn't factor into this working for morning anxiety. The fact that steady blood sugar levels are sustained during the night is what will reduce the huge cortisol surges during the 6 - 8am time period and help with the morning crazies.

Frank
Thanks Frank. Will give it a try.

Andrea

Old 08-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Hey all,

I am jolted awake EVERY morning at about 5-5:30 in a full blown panic attack. I have to take .5 to 1mg of xanax to calm me down. I've tried not taking it but I just spin more out of control.

I posted this topic a while back and didn't get many responses so I thought it was pretty rare. I am glad (not that you all have this affliction) but that I am not alone in this.

The cortisol thing makes sense, although I am a middle of the night snacker. I always try to drink some milk with my snack as I think it has some of the same properties as banana (I'm allergic to most fresh fruits and veggies

Anyway... thanks for the post and all the info. Here's to a calm morning

Angela

Closed Thread