It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

intheforest HB User
Unhappy Celexa--sexual Side Effects!?

Hi everyone,
Well, I have been on 20mg a day of Celexa for my anxiety attacks for about 8months now. I didn't really notice anything at first, but I think it may be affecting my sexual response. I am a 22 yr old female. I have a boyfriend now, and we've been together almost three months. Before him I was celibate for a little over a year, and I've had no problems giving myself an orgasm, even since I've been on Celexa. I am unable to orgasm with him, from any sexual act, not just intercourse, and I've been noticing lately that it's hard for me to even do it by myself. (However, no man has ever been able to bring me to orgasm so I have nothing to compare it to) I guess here are my questions: has anyone else had experience with this problem on Celexa or a similar anti-anxiety/anti-depressant? For me the sensation feels numbed and I don't get turned on as easily. What has happened to you guys, if you've noticed sexual side effects--after how long on the medication? Last--can anyone suggest a similar medication with a lower chance of sexual side effects? Celexa wasnt supposed to have these side effects as much as other similar meds, but I'm thinking no such luck. I'm frustrated, cuz I don't think I'm ready to go off my meds! I want to have an enjoyable sex life, but i also don't feel like freaking out in the middle of driving on the highway or feeling faint!! Your suggestions and comments would be appreciated! thanks guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Celexa--sexual Side Effects!?

Hi
celexa/cipramil is a prozac type med and these all often reduce sexual pleasure for both men and women, you could try an overnight swap to another med of the same type to see if its any better, sometimes is

vaigra is recommendsd for men and women, some stop the antidepressant for a few days and report good results then

wellbutrin is another type of antidepressant said to not cause sexual problems,however, many value the benefts and chose to accept the sexual problems

Closed Thread