It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive

sonalised HB User
flying

Hi, I've flown before, once. 7 years ago, but I can not remember if I was scared or not.

I'm flying agia for the first time in 7 years. My flight will be a 3 hours flight. I'm flying to Lithuania. I am so scared to flight!

Thing is, I have a panic dissorder and many other mental sympoms/phobias. I have panic attacks on the tube (metro), what will happen to me on the plain?! I fear a panic attack on the plane. I fear to fly by myself, for the whole 2 weeks I've had a bad anxious feeling and today at thsi moment it's very stong, I dodn't even feel like I'm 'here'. (I do have depersonalisation/dereaslisation as well).

I am very scared to fly. I'm scared of the plane crashin, or engines failing, scared when we're up in the air I won't be able to breath properly and suffocate. I just have a bad, anxious feeling.

I've seen websites like
www.airsafe.com/events/last_15.htm

www.airdisaster.com/

and I've founf out about more recent fatal accidents, which I ain't seen on the news!

I will be flying from Gatwich (is that correct?, it's in the UK), to Vilnius, Lithuania. How safe are those flights? I'm scared of the inside of the plane and being stuck for three hours with no way out. Should I just stay home and not fly?

What if the plane crashes on the take off? If worst does come, and something happens to the plane, there is no chance of surviving, is there?

Once up in the air, and something goes wrong, would the plane just go down and crash? Or would it be able to make a crash landing?

I am soooooooo scared I actually am almost cryin today, and I'm flying out tomorrow . I am a 22 years old male.

Anyone ever flown to Lithuania?

Oh my God, I have meny questions... but I'll leave this at that.

Please help me, tell me about safety or something, will I crash? I know it's a silly question and not possible to answer. But I am freaking out...

I feel like my head fill blow up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: flying

Don't stay home.
I know it's easy for me to say this, but you can't let the panic get the best of you, you can't let it win you're much stronger than you think you are.
Believe me, there was a time that I didn't leave my house, just opening the door to get the mail scared me to death.
Then I just realized that I was the one bringing on the fear myself that's when I decided that there was no way I was going to let it win or let it stop me from doing things that I wanted to do.
Fear of flying is a very common thing, but the fact that you suffer from panic an anxiety makes your fear worse.
There so much data out there that says flying is so much safer than even driving a car.

I don't want to feed into your fears in anyway, but since you asked the question I'll answer it....people DO survive plane crashes and planes DO make emergency landings.

I'm going to tell you a little story..... I'm not telling you this to scare you, I'm just telling you something I did.
I live less than 30 miles from where the plane crashed into the field in Pennsylvania on September 11th.
I have family in Ireland and I already had a ticket to fly out and see them when that happened...I flew just two days after the the air travel ban was lifted.
I was scared and I wanted to stay home, but I told myself that I was stronger than the fear and I was going to control it, not let it control me.
You're stronger than the fear too, just remember that.
One more thing...if by some chance you do decide that you aren't going to go that in no way makes you weak...everyone with this disorder has avoided something at one time or another because of the fear...believe me, I know because I did it for years.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: flying

to sonalised
flying is still the safest way of travel

a large ose of any valium type med before and during the flight is the safest way
also tell the cabin staff you are nervous if the anxiety is very bad

Closed Thread