It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #1

Fred1976 HB User
Anxiety and throat

Hello. I'm wondering if anxiety is what is making my throat uncomfortable. It does not burn, no coughing, no pain when swalloing, not scratchy, just feels uncomfortable. Kinda like something is at the top of my mouth/throat. Doesn't do this all the time. I talk a lot on the phone at work too. Any ideas? Wouldn't be cancer would it? I don't do any tobacco, have a few beers and that's it.

Last edited by Fred1976; 08-02-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #2

phoebe20 HB User
Re: Anxieth and throat

I went to my doctor about this some time ago. She told me that the lump I kept feeling in my throat was anxiety. I get it a lot. The more I think about it, the worse it gets as well! It could feel a bit uncomfortable if you're overusing your voice at work too. I get a tight feeling in my throat when I sing too much.

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Hi Fred1976,

I get a strange feeling in my throat too. It feels like it is just where my throat meets my mouth and it feel like a small ball or grain stuck in the right side of my throat. No matter how much I try to swallow it doesn't subside until I forget about it. Is yours similar?

Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #4

Fred1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
Hi Fred1976,

I get a strange feeling in my throat too. It feels like it is just where my throat meets my mouth and it feel like a small ball or grain stuck in the right side of my throat. No matter how much I try to swallow it doesn't subside until I forget about it. Is yours similar?
Yes. Very similar. If I don't think about it, I don't feel it. It's not like having a cold or anything like that. I guess it's related to anxiety and worrying.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #5

Silverlining HB User

I get that, too. Feels like it's near where my tonsils would be. Likewise, if I don't think about it, I don't notice it. It's worse when I'm anxious, which of course used to make me more anxious!

Old 08-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #6

Fred1976 HB User
Re: Anxiety and throat

It seems like one day it's one thing, and the next day it's something else different. I wonder if taking a valuim would help out for this?

Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

raqwest HB User
Re: Anxiety and throat

Hey. I have had trouble with wierd feeling in my tounge and throat. I have been to a number of doctors who cannot for the life of them figure out what I am describing. They all say it is anxiety. It is so amazing what it does to your body. I get so focused on the feelings that they get so bad and I feel like my throat is clsoign and I cannot talk or breath. It is horrible. It was really bad for about 3 months and now it has leveled off a bit (although other strange things have taken its place!).

Yes it is always soemthing in the wonderful world of anxiety! My doc gave me Xanex for this, but I am afriad to take it. I am so pitiful! I am just afraid that if the Xanex doesn't take the feeling away, that it means soemthing is really wrong! Sounds silly, but to me it makes all the sence in the world.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #8

PETALS HB User

I Have The Same Problem. My Throat Fills As If My Tonsils Are Swollen. But No Pain, Just A Tightness. I Went To The Dentist To Have A Wisdom Tooth Pulled. I Am Not Afraid Of The Dentist And Never Had Anxiety Because Of Them. But When The Doc Started Giving Injections To Numb Me, I Started Getting That Feeling In My Throat. At One Point I Thought Maybe I Should Stop Him Because I Could Not Swallow. It Then Felt Like A Brick Wall Was Put Up On My Throat. After He Left The Room, I Had To Concentrate On Swallowing. I Finally Over Came It. Maybe It Was Anxiety But Im Not Sure. I Am Trying To Figure Out What Triggers The Feeling.

Thanks, Petals

Old 08-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

anxiety often effects the throat, feeling a lump in the throat when none is there is common for anxious people

get doc to check your throat

any valium type med will help a while by relaxing the throat muscles.

you also need to learn how to relax and to calm yourself down

Old 08-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #10

PETALS HB User
Unhappy Re: Anxieth and throat

Most Of The Time The Feeling Come Om When Im Talking On The Phone Or Just Whenever. I Don't Feel Upset Or Nervous When It Could Hit. I Had The Scope Down The Throat For Other Reasons. I Mentioned It To Him But Nothing Was There. What I Do Have Is Acid Reflux, And Celiac Disease( I Can Have No Wheat Products).he Said It Could Be Anxiety As Well. So I Guess Thats What Ill Go With For Now.
Petals

Closed Thread