It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

murph6 HB User
still scared to take paxil!!

my doctor wants me to take 20mg of paxil every nite, but cant get myself to take it, i think im going to call her tomorrow and tell her i dont feel comfortable taking that, anyone have any suggestions, that might be better to start with? my symptoms are nausea, temple spasms, tingly lips, nervousness,a weird feeling of something is just not right,i get bad panic attacks once every 2 weeks. i really do want help but all that ive read about paxil i just cant do it!! i want to feel normal again !! ive been dealing with this since december. any suggestions appreciated!!

Old 08-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: still scared to take paxil!!

Hi Murph6,

I was in the same boat as you re not wanting to take anything. But in the end I was convinced by a family friend (also a psychiatrist) that not doing anything was a far worse option. You don't want your body to continue on this crazy cycle. By taking an SSRI drug you "interrupt" the cycle. Think of software in a computer that gets stuck and the drug as a reboot. But the drug alone is probably not enough. You should perhaps consider CBT to stop the triggers.

Like you I didn't want to go near Paxil because of the "Paxil Prison" stories I heard. So I'm on Celexa (Cipramil) and it has been just brilliant. Now I'm kicking myself for not sorting this out sooner. I kept trying to soldier on but it was a bad move in hindsight. Try taking Celexa on a half dose for about 6 weeks and try keeping the dose low.

Good luck....Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to murph
a lower starting dose for 2 weeks would bew better, some valium type meds taken as well will also help

there are lots of other paxil type meds you could take if paxil stories scare you, celexa/cipramil is one

beware of doc if he insists on paxil, someone is paying him to prescribe it

Old 08-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Have to agree with that hry33. Paxil is just one of a bunch of very effective choices. Murph, if you try Celexa, start on a half pill (10 mg) and stay there for a couple of months to see how it goes. Don't let the doc force you into taking big doses to start either - it'll only increase the side-effects.

Best...Scott

Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
(female)

murph6 HB User

thanks alot ,im going to call tomorrow to see if i can get that changed !! i know id feel alot better just knowing that i wouldnt have to take paxil!!! thanks alot again stacie

Old 08-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

fiveoffive HB User

Dear murph,
Hope you are doing good, I took notice of your post because I too have been given paxil and now lexapro. I have yet to take any of them. I am truly afraid of ANY meds. It sux so don't let yourself get into that trap. I really need to take my meds and I really can't. I don't know if this will make a difference to you but I really hope you take your meds and WHATEVER you do DO NOT read all the bad stuff on the internet!!!!! ( I should practice what I preach eh>>LOL) good luck to you!! let us know how you are!!
ML

Old 08-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #7

indee93 HB User

I wanted to comment on whether or not to take Paxil. I am currently taking Paxil CR and it is the best thing that I ever did. I had side effects for one week and after that I was a new person. Of course everyone is different. I have been on it for two months now and have lost 10 lbs so weight gain is not an issue for me....I am on 12.5 mg's which is not quite what you would be taking. It is all up to you in the end but I wanted to let you know that Paxil CR was a positive for me.....glad I decided to take it. I was like you and was so scared that I put off getting my prescription filled, but then thought it wouldn't hurt....and it hasn't.

Hang in there and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Take Care
Shana

Old 08-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
(female)

murph6 HB User

thanks everyone for the information!! i havent called doctor yet i think ill wait till my appointment the 18th and talk to her about it, i wonder why she didnt suggest the paxil cr 12.5mg she didnt tell me anything about the paxil at all im learning everything online which is good and bad, i want help, but scared to take anything in fear itll set me back to the first 3 months of hell!! im in my 8th month and i have to say those first 3 months i thought i was going to die! well thanks again stacie

Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #9

MzDee HB User

Murph.. Paxil changed my life.. it was the most miraculous thing that ever happened to me.. after trying every therapy and toughing out my panic attacks and agoraphobia for 20 some years, becoming a therapist myself despite the anxiety, I finally had given up and said, it's either meds or ....?? I started on a very small dose of Paxil.. 5mg and then moved up to 10 and eventually 20.. under strict observation of a professional. I no longer have panic attacks and all of my years of therapy kicked in very quickly. It was as if I could only go so far with my therapy because I was standing on an electrical current. Paxil, stopped the current. Now I am heading out for a long road trip and doing things I have never dreamed of because of Paxil and a great therapist.. a few slight side effects but nothing in comparison to the pain and agony I lived with for over 20 years...

I wish you the best of luck... take that leap of faith..... it works..

Last edited by MzDee; 08-07-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Old 08-08-2004, 01:30 AM   #10

XjoeX HB User

murph6,
I have been on paxil and then paxil cr for over 7 years now. I take 75mg per day. It changed my life! The anxity had to go! I am now coming off the paxil. The withdrawls are a little weird but no anxity....so far. I have some buzzing in my ears a little vertigo, and I can not watch a "chickflick" or I'll cry like a baby.
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't think twice about taking paxil, I couldn't function without.
Good luck and call your Dr.
Joe

Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #11

indee93 HB User
Smile Re: still scared to take paxil!!

I have a mild case of GAD therefore she didn't feel the need to start me off on a large dosage. She always said that if it didn't work that she could up it for me.
I, like yourself, read horror stories about taking Paxil CR. I heard everything from weight gain, to suicide. I worried myself into stomach aches and just decided that if I want to get better I have to take the meds. And I don't regret it one bit. I do not have bad days anymore. I am out doing things that I didn't want to do before due to fatigue.....and I take these pills at night because during the day they made me sleep.....

Talk to your doctor. They always know what is best for you and if it doesn't work then try something else.......
Take care and let us know
Shana

Old 08-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #12

panicsurvivor HB User
Smile Re: still scared to take paxil!!

I take 37.5 mgs Paxil CR every day. It has worked wonders for me, and I haven't had any side effects. Like you, I was afraid to take it the first time too. I started out at 12.5 mg and worked my way up. I was so frightened the first time I took it that I took it right before I went to bed so I would be asleep if anything happened. Everything went fine. I understand your concern. I hope this may have helped.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
(female)

dollskin HB User

[COLOR=Purple]Thank you sooo much I was just prescribed paxil cr and was very scared an still am to take it your post has helped me a ton, im gonna go take a bath and take it... fingers crossed [/COLOR ]

Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

how was your experience? let meknow,good luck!

Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #15
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User

I had to chime in here on paxil. I too was terrified to take it or anything else, but finally gave in after several years of panic attacks and anxiety. I started at 5 mg and gradually worked up to 20 and for two years it eliminated my panic attacks/health worries. The only side effect that stuck with me after the first four weeks was feeling groggy in the morning and kind of unmotivated most of the time (also a little weight gain). That's what led me to go off it this spring. I'd heard the withdrawal horror stories and went off it very, very gradually -- over four or five months. Had the brain zaps and some really emotional days every time I changed the dose, but nothing that I couldn't handle.

I recently started back on it again, as my panic attacks/anxiety returned even worse than before. It's interesting because it seems to be affecting me differently this time around. My panic attacks have stopped again, but I don't feel groggy at all and it's not knocking me out for the night like it did before (which I really liked!). It seems like it hasn't totally zapped my anxiety this time, but I may need a higher dose (and it's only been five weeks, too).

Anyway, these drugs seem to be different for everybody, so I hope you find something that works for you

Closed Thread