It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
(male)

junior26 HB User
Constant spaciness, head pressure, now nausea... Desperate for help.

Hi Folks,

Sorry to make this long, but I want to explain my symptoms in as much detail as possible, so others can possibly relate.

I'm 26 years old, male, normal weight, non-smoker, non-drinker, never seen a doctor in my life before this. It all started a little over a month ago when I did some cardiovascular exercise and got a little dizzy. The next morning at work, I started reading up on possible causes of dizziness. When I came upon heart-deficiency issues (which have always scared me), it must have freaked me out because I wanted to pass out, like as if someone momentarily took my brain out of my head, but I didn't actually pass out. I came back home, all shaky and sweaty, where my girlfriend (who has a history of panic attacks, now controlled with Paxil) suggested I had experienced a panic attack. That whole week, I had MANY symptoms of anxiety come and go. I went to the ER twice, did ECG's, emergency blood tests, all normal. The 5 doctors I saw all said it was anxiety and that I need psychological help.

Fine with me, but a few symptoms which have been with me since the beginning are still with me 24/7 and have even gotten worse, which is causing me even more stress...

- The spacey feeling is severe right now. My eyes seem to not be in sync with my brain. If I even think about passing out, it triggers a fainting spell. But I never actually faint. My breathing and heart rate stay nice and slow through these dizzy spells. I'm able to keep my cool since I know from past experiences that I won't pass out.

- Head pressure almost all day, every day. It's like a headache wants to come out, but the pressure in my head is dominating, so I never actually get a headache, just a lot of head pressure. The feeling of passing out ALWAYS coincides with a heavy pressure in the bridge of my nose and in my head. When I take Advil to relieve the pressure, it usually relieves the fainting spells as well. But all all starts again the next day.

- Last week, I started waking up with nausea every morning. This lasts all morning and goes away by lunch time, or when I have a bowel movement. It makes me even more stressed thinking that I have liver disease or something.

- The spacey feeling is worse when I don't sleep well. And much worse in fluorescent lighting! I felt really bad yesterday at Wal-Mart. It gets better when I'm at home watching TV in the evening. Driving a car actually helps reduce the feeling as well. But staring at the same spot, such as a computer screen makes it worse, and sometimes triggers a fainting spell.

- Bowel habits have changed. Stools have changed color, a little paler than usual. There are always little "fibers" attached to the sides of the stools. Not smooth and shiny like it was before. Sorry, I can't explain it better than that. Not that you would want me too anyway.

- Very tired, sleepy and weak on most days. Can't concentrate. Will probably get fired soon because of this. I can't imagine finding another job with this state of mind. Completely unmotivated. Luckily, I have a week's vacation next week.

- Muscle weakness/tension. I went to play a 9 hole of golf last week and my legs are still stiff!

- My arms and legs fall asleep very easily. If I fall asleep with my arms at a 90 degree angle, they will get numb and wake me up.

- Aches and pains everywhere! What worries me the most is a dull bone pain that I have at several places. Does anybody else have bone tenderness (not in the joints)?

- Getting more and more depressed and stressed.

I guess what I find the most discouraging is that after all these years of being frightened of going to a doctor and finally being able to do it, they do nothing. They did the finger to nose test, follow the flashlight test, walk on your tippy-toes test, checked my heart with a stethoscope and ECG. Well, this is Canada, it's free. I guess you get what you pay for. I don't have a family doctor, and finding one will be a lengthy ordeal. And an appointment won't come before mid-2005.

So, after all this, I still wonder if I have a brain tumor, or a hemmorhage (since I have had hypertension (whitecoat) all my life and that this all started with exercise). And now, with my sudden onset of nausea (and I NEVER get nausea), I think that I've got liver cancer or another type of cancer that has spread to my brain causing the dizziness. I've had acid reflux since I was 16 years old. Maybe I have gotten esophageal cancer that has spread to my brain. Or MS, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, you can see the extent of my health anxiety! It's bad. Really bad. I was never like this before. I would simply brush off any symptoms I had. A few months ago, I stained the toilet with bright red blood. I just said "Bah, it's a hemmorhoid". Now, I can't help freaking out about every little symptom. So, it would help me a lot if you guys could relate to some of those symptoms I described.

But for now, I just wish I could find something to make the constant spacey feeling go away since it's my main cause of anxiety. I can't function normally anymore. I am willing to try anything at this point. Has any medication worked for anybody's spacey feelings?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by junior26; 08-06-2004 at 11:57 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to junior26 For This Useful Post:
blackwolf57 (07-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #2

shannon30 HB User
Re: Constant spaciness, head pressure, now nausea... Desperate for help.

Hi there...I can relate to what you are feeling. I have had the spacy feeling since Dec.24 and I pretty much have it everyday all day. I also feel nausea untill I have a bowel movement. I don't have much advice for what to do to make it go away as I am still dealing with it myself. just letting you know that I feel just like you except I never had blood in the toilet. I have had a ton of tests and everything has been good.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
(male)

junior26 HB User

Thank you shannon. You have reassured me quite a bit. I'm sorry to hear that you too have been experiencing the spacey feeling, and for as long as you have. I know that others have had this for many years, and I must admit that they are strong.

As for me, it drives me crazy. Feels like I'm slowly becoming retarded or something. I'm just not completely there. Do you feel like this too?

Sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it's horrible, like I just want to close my eyes and sleep. I have glasses for driving, and when I wear them, it usually lessens the symptoms.

Thanks again for your reassurance. Does anybody else feel like this?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #4

shannon30 HB User

Yes I do feel like that. sometimes i WILL feel as if I am going to go crazy and I mean crazy...

Old 08-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi there...
You just described my life to a T. I have had some of the symptoms that you mentioned for the longest time, but the dizziness, and head pressure, just like you described behimd the nose, for the last 5 months without a break. I have been put on Paxil, and it has helped a very little bit. Some days are worse, and some days I cant read because I get so dizzy. I have learned to cope with day to day things, but I have to leave my job because it sucks really bad, and I am so scared to start another one. I have had every test under the sun, all normal. I don't know where to go from here either. My doctors have no idea what my life is like every day. Actually, noone but you guys know what it's like to feel this way every freaking day, and not to get any better. My problem, is that I do't know if I should go to therapy or not, because half the time, I think that I would cancel because I feel like poop. I am sure thatv there are a million things that a therapist would like to tell me, but I also tend to think that this is a chemical problem. I dunno, thanks for letting me rant and rave. I guess I feel better knowing that ther are others feeling the same way, but I am accepting that this is anxiety, I just need to know what to do, and I'll do it, anything in fact to have my life back. We ( people that feel the same way) should have a specific site to talk about this, ya know, because some people on this site have such different symptoms. Anyway, I will talk to ya all later, I hope you dont want to kill me after this post, I'm having one of those days!

Carrie

The Following User Says Thank You to dizzygirl For This Useful Post:
pinkmomoffour4 (09-05-2012)
Old 08-03-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

spaciness,dizzyness, etc if coming from anxiety is either derelisation/depersonalisation or lightheadedness or perhaps both
look up these on the net, theres lots of info

relaxibg and calming yourself will help, meds also help such as valium and an antidepressant

try squeezing something sharp in your hand like your keys and concentrate on the pain, this usually helps for a while

sunglasses should help for bright glary lights

Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #7
(male)

junior26 HB User

Ah man, you guys are really helpful. Carrie, you have reassured me quite a bit in the fact that I'm not alone dealing with all this stuff.

I really hate the nausea every morning. It's like I just wake up thinking "Am I nauseous today?", and bam, I'm nauseous. I know that my symptoms can't possibly be caused by a single sickness (apart from anxiety). For example, there is no single disease that can cause lightheadedness, nausea, and sore aching bones and muscles, numbness in the hands, head pressure, fatigue, all at the same time. At least not this quickly. Plus, it all started with lightheadedness. All the other things came after. So I try to tell myself that if it weren't for the lightheadedness, the other things would never have happened. But it's so hard to convince myself of that when I keep getting new symptoms to this day.

I mean, why am I nauseous all of a sudden after a month? I'm much less freaked out about this whole thing now than I was at first. Why wasn't I nauseous when my emotions were at their worst? It's things like that that keep me from shaking the thought that I may have some type of degenerative disease or cancer or something. I keep thinking, "What's it gonna be next?". I examine my stools like some kind of freak looking for blood and stuff. Yet, I know that those cancers are very rare in people under the age of 45. My mind is really all over the place. I just want to shut it off, but it's difficult when doctors don't do anything apart from telling you to see a shrink...

So that's exactly what I did. I found a place nearby called the "Montreal Anxiety Clinic". They specialize in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I've heard that it has helped a great deal of people on these boards, so I'm going to at least give it a try. I'll do anything to be my old happy, energetic self again. They're supposed to confirm an appointment this week, or next week at the latest. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wayne

Old 08-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
(male)

junior26 HB User

hry33 & foshizzle, I forgot to comment on my dizziness...

I have read about all the different kinds of dizziness. I can say that it's closer to derealization, but not depersonalization. I have never felt like I was out of my body or anything like that. But since derealization and depersonalization apparently come hand in hand (which is not the case for me), I just call my sensation "spaciness".

I stopped calling it lightheadedness because it feels slightly worse than lightheadedness. I have felt lightheaded in the past when taking antihistamines for colds and allergies, but the feeling I'm experiencing now is like an exaggeration of that feeling. So yeah, I guess you can call it lightheadedness, just severe lightheadedness. I feels like I had 5 glasses of wine and the buzz never left. I have no loss of balance like when you're drunk, but my eyes have trouble focusing, especially when I look at a different spot. White fluorescent lighting seems to pulsate sometimes.

I can walk just fine, see just fine, talk just fine. I just feel like I'm not all there... Like as if someone took 1/3 of my brain away.

Does this accurately describe what others are feeling?

Last edited by junior26; 08-04-2004 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I used to be nauseous all the time. It's called symptom shifting. When you get used to a symptom, it changes to something else. I will look for a CBT clinic as well, it couldn't hurt right? We are all too young for this ya know? Were we born with this?

Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #10
(male)

junior26 HB User

Apparently anxiety problems usually start occuring between the ages of 15-25. We're actually late bloomers I think.

As for being born with it? Maybe. I know my mom has had anxiety and depression issues for much of her life, so I'm sure genetics play a large part. And me, well, I never seemed to worry about anything except my health. But when I think about everything with this new perspective, I do seem to worry a lot about the tiniest little things.

Plus I've been having relationship issues which I think about constantly. And I lost a six figure income job last year and now have to settle for a much more modest lifestyle. I guess all this may be the result of a small depression. On the morning that this all started, I had just run over a cat with my car. Cats are my favorite animals, so I think that it may have been the trigger.

Thanks for your comment on "Symptom Shifting". Makes a lot of sense. Now, all that's left is to see if CBT can do some help. At 90$/hr, I hope it will do at least some good! I'm sure it will, since just talking to people makes me feel better.

I'll be keeping in touch.

Wayne

Old 08-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #11

shannon30 HB User

I to am going to try some therpy as I am feeling so terriable every day. Just yesterday I was at the post office and had to have my son take a package in for me as I was to anxious to do so...well he came out to the van and said that the lady did not make sense to him and that I had to go in. I freaked out and told him to get into the van and I just left the package their. I swore that if I did not get home I was going to pass out with all my kids in the van and crash into something. I really really thought I was going to drop over the wheel..I then came home and took two xanax and withen 30 min. I was feeling a little better..So I did end up going back to the post office and had my oldest son go in and take care of the package...I still was not well enough to do it myself...

Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #12

CaptainUtah HB User

Wow junior,
what you've explained is exactly what Ive been dealing with for 18 months now and all started due to waking up one morning with the room shifting around and now I have the constant spaciness and just not being all the way fully awake or aware or just with it. Exactly like you say like drinking glasses of wine and never snapping out of it. and the muscle tension and I even relate to you exactly with the golfing experience. man o man. I had no choice but to quit my job and I did not work for an entire year. Luckily my really good friend being the manager of where I work now let me work very part time and slowly work my way in until I gain some kind of confidence back.
Im like you as far as worrying about health. that's all Ive ever been worried about and like you never really visited the doc until this sprung on me. You're not alone by any means. Im 28 now. It all started jsut before I turned 27.
I know how you feel again exactly with how your eyes dont seem to be quite in sync right with your body or brain..... in fact if I stand still and try to focus on an object in the distance I cannot hold it completely still in my vision.... weird.... I just never feel quite right in my head... just ouf of it and spacy and foggy and blah.
My sleep really sucks and definitely effects the rest of all this crap. Anyway I wish you the best and know it's tough. just keep your chin up even though you feel out numbered and have been blind sided by this. take care. Eric...Utah

Last edited by CaptainUtah; 08-05-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:26 AM   #13
(male)

junior26 HB User

Hey Eric!

Thanks for your encouragement. You must be my twin! This just started happening to me last month and my 27th birthday is in 3 weeks. Weird coincidence. I'm so glad that there are others like me out there who can understand. I called a psychologist yesterday to inform myself about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I explained to her that I was dizzy 24/7. Her answer was, "Hmm, that's not very typical of an anxiety disorder". I think I'll be calling someone a little more helpful.

I didn't sleep well at all last night and I feel like crap today. I was on the toilet this morning and I felt like passing out! I just tried your "focusing on a distant object" thing. It's exactly like you describe it. It seems much worse trying to focus into the distance than on a close-up object. I have glasses for driving and stuff, which lessens the effect somewhat when I put them on. I guess I should start wearing them all the time.

I just can't seem to shut off my brain about every little symptom I'm having. For example, for the past two days, I've been urinating like crazy even though I've hardly been drinking anything. So I'm thinking I have diabetes or something, even though I had blood & urine tests come back this week saying that everything was absolutely perfect. Plus, I have really bad circulation these days which doesn't help my mind much on the diabetes issue.

Did you have MRI's and all that stuff? For me, doctors don't think an MRI is necessary because they say that it's obviously anxiety. That's even after I told them that I've had bad hypertension since I was a little kid and that this all started while I was doing some cardiovascular exercise. It could be something related to long term hypertension, no? When I went to the ER, my BP was 190/110. It didn't raise a single eyebrow. They just see a healthy young man. I guess if it was anything serious, it would get progressively worse. Sometimes I feel like crap, sometimes not so much.

Have you tried anything that has helped your spaciness? This is my one symptom that's causing all my stress. I guess that I should get used to it as it seems to be with us for quite a while according to you and many others on this board. It's only been a month for me and I'm still in the "am I dying" stage, so symptoms keep coming.

I went to my parents' house last week and my mom gave me a Xanax and it actually seemed to work somewhat. The ER doctor I saw at the clinic had given me some Klonopin, but it made me soooo tired and sedated. I felt like a bear who was semi-tranquilized for 2 days. Hee hee. I'm going to follow up with the clinic doctor today about my hypertension. I will ask him if he can prescribe me some Xanax for when I feel really spaced out to the point of passing out.

What other symptoms are you experiencing or have experienced from the symptoms I described?

Wayne

Old 08-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
(male)

stackzone HB User

My dizziness started when I was 26 and 1/2. Pretty weird. I know I sound like a broken record, but I experience the same symptoms as you guys and I say there is no way this is all anxiety. I keep making plans of things Im going to do when I get better. Well, Im starting to get fustrated adn those plans are piling up. Bryan

Old 08-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Mine started about 2 months after my 26th birthday. Weird....Aliens maybe?

Carrie

Closed Thread