It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #1

Jchandra88 HB User
Anger a part of it?

I know that I have some kind of problem...still am convincing myself that it's just an anxiety disorder and not cancer or something else.. But anyway, I also noticed that the irritability is slowly morphing into just being angry and frustrated at life in general and everyone around me. I know there's the topic of "Anger Management" but I haven't had this problem for that long... I'm just getting so tired of this anxiety problem that I'm lashing out at the people nearest to me. I'm so angry at myself for not being strong enough to beat this damn thing and I guess I'm just at my wits end....
Does anyone else have this anger problem also?

Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Anger a part of it?

Hi, I understand it all too clearly. Your frustration about things is taken to the next level to allow others to be punished for it. They're your issues, your anger, your thoughts, your frustrations....
Do you have any ways to deal with them? Usually if I'm frustrated about something I feel very stuck, and really hate myself about something. Then, when there's someone handy to get mad at....I lash out at that person instead of myself, displacing my anger onto that person. But, there's a saying that what we dislike in others is what we actually dislike in ourselves. If people are doing something that we either consciously or subconsciously dislike about what we do....we will just voice our opinions about that and eventually feel better.

Well, not feel better...it's a cycle that we get into that is really self defeating.

You could try cognitive behavioural therapy, or seek out a few books that could help you deal with it. One book that's great is "Thoughts & Feelings: taking control of your moods and your life" by Matthew McKay, Martha Davis, Patrick Fanning.

It's a workbook, and it allows you to see that your thoughts are provoking your emotions toward anger in situations, and when your thoughts are brought to a cognitive (understanding) level, you will seek alternative thoughts and ultimately reactions for those situations.

Getting angry is instant relief..it feels good at the moment because extreme feelings are being released quickly. I used to throw things (yes I purposely threw things that were of value to me), slam doors..etc. I've learned through therapy in dealing with MY "Issues"...that I'm responsible how I perceive situations, and I do a lot of assuming. CBT gives you the tools to realise that situations are neutral and our perceptions through experience or mindset are what allows the thoughts that controls our moods.

You're responsible for your anger, you agree? Check out libraries or bookstores on anger and cognitive behavioural therapy to deal with it.

Hope this helps somewhat..
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to jcandra
if you added an a you would have jackaranda

nobody can ever beat anxiety by fighting against it, the anxiety will always return and beat you, instead you must learn how to overcome it

on using anger, both my parents enjoyed being angry and were always looking for any excuse to become angry

Old 08-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #4

SiNN HB User

i feel you totally on this subject. i am 25 years old and i have had a depression, frusturated and anger problem for about the past 6 years probably. i wake up stressed, depressed, and angry almost everyday and go to bed the same way almost every nite. im not sure what it is but i get so bad that i feel like i could emotionaly break down and scream and cry. it has been a ongoing problem in my new engagement and i see it pushing my new fiance away from me. i dont know how to control it though or over come it. i try to relax and take deep breaths but it still stays. it is the most littleist things that set me off and stress and depress me. it also affects my relationship in ways of me being so down that my girl dont want to be around me when i am down. it is truly embarassing to me because people can usually tell when i am down in the dumps. i just wish it would have never started because nbow i dont know how to stop it or control it.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Just lately have I found myself getting extremely ****** off at things that never used to bother me, and to the extent of feeling like I am going to scream. I am usually a really calm person too. There are so may stages of this, it's nuts.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #6

Jchandra88 HB User

Quincy, thanks for the input..

Hry33, my middle name's Chandra..jack has nothing to do with it..lol.
I don't try to fight against the anxiety, but it just makes me incredibly tired of dealing with it all the time...when I didn't have these problems before this year.

I used to throw things too...I still do..although I try to only throw things of little or no value. It's better than hitting someone, right? I get a lot of violent images in my mind.

Lately I've also been getting a lot of headaches.. and nothing I take helps anymore.. and caffeine is bad for anyone with an anxiety problem..

Closed Thread