It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #1

phoebe20 HB User
Air hunger

Hello

I am having the most stressed time of my life right now! Ovarian cysts, my grandad having cancer... You name it!

Does anyone else get really bad air hunger when they're anxious? At the moment, my chest feels totally locked up and I keep having to breathe in really deep to relieve it. It's horrible! It feels like any minute now I just won't be able to breathe

Does anyone have any tips on how to make this feeling go? I've tried different breathing techniques but nothing has really worked so far.

Thanx

Last edited by phoebe20; 08-07-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
(female)

Cin4676 HB User
Re: Air hunger

Phoebe, does it feel like yawning helps to get the air in a little better too? It sounds like something I went thru several years ago. It turned out that I was hyperventilating and had to go on tranqs to get control. I remember how scary it was, gasping for air. You actually are getting plenty of air, even though it doesn't feel that way. The doctor had told me that the worst that could happen is I would pass out and then my breathing would go back to normal. I know that's not too comforting, who wants to worry about passing out. It didn't happen to me but the tranqs allowed me to learn to recognize the symptoms as they were starting and control it. I got off of the meds as soon as I accomplished this. Does this sound like what you're going thru?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #3

damndanes HB User

Boy can I relate to that. I went through that a few months ago. Another really bad symptom, compared to the dizziness I have now. I went to a therapist who told me that the ONLY function of the body that we have total control over is our breathing. That one statement helped me so much. I was actually gasping for air for a few months and was so distressed. When he told me this and taught me how to breathe from the diaphragm, symptoms totally disappeared and don't scare me anymore. You have to take the fear away and it WILL go away. Hope this helps.

Deb

Old 08-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to phoebe

it helps to breathe out so that you get as much air as possible out of your lungs,this encourages you to take in a deep breath

most anxious people benefit a lot from breathing deep and slow, especially when anxious or panicky
also dont monitor your breathing, just do it....

Closed Thread