It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #1

dom peri HB User
i need your advice,

my doctor doesnt want to give me anything and just sent me to therapy which i attended 5 or 6 times and it went well but didnt really improve my condition, now he left the country and since school is going to start i know im gonna need something to get me through it if i want to do it full time.

so where can i find some xanax or whatever that can help me ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: i need your advice,

sometimes people need xanax or similar to calm themselves so that therapy can help
try some ther docs, stressing that you will only take the xanax as directed and have never taken too many of them in the past, it may help to ask for some other benzo such as generic valium, the word xanax sends some docs into an anxiety state!

many docs are now anti xanax and wont prescribe any, this also sometimes applies to all the other benzos, that is valium type meds

do you have any books or papers from the therapy that may remind you of what they taught you?

many docs want all their anxiety patients on an antidepressant or an antipsychotic now, you could consider an online pharmacy for xanax

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
White Sneakers1

Cool Re: i need your advice,

Hi Dom,

Many people with anxieties or phobias are able to do really well with the right type of counseling. Since you only seem to feel this way in crowds and at school, your anxieties sound specific around this. In a way that's good, because so many people have anxieties that leave them literally housebound.

When dealing with anxiety issues, therapy is a way to get some neutral grounding so a person can learn to take control and "maintain calm" in the face of panic. Think of it as a sort of "class", much like school - and sometimes it takes a few tires to get it right, so you know what to do for the test.

I know about this, because I used to have anxiety attacks.

Believe it or not, you have all the resources inside of you to "cure" yourself. Some people are able to find a way to help themselves quicker than others, it depends on the person and on the type of anxiety that they need to learn how to deal with.

Your doctor is probably on the right track by sending you to counseling instead of putting you on medication. You need to learn not to be afraid of your anxiety symptoms and to learn to deal with them. Once you can do that, these symptoms will not be so bothersome and you'll be able to sit in crowds comfortably.

But it takes practice and time. I can tell you are already psyching yourself up for school, and that's part of having anxiety.

Counseling/therapy is there to show you steps to cope, but you have to do the work yourself. It's hard work, and you have to work on feeling less nervous EVERY DAY. Your symptoms probably won't go away until you really work on getting past them - not just talking about it in therapy.

Here's some things you can do right now to start to get past this issue:

Go buy a $10 book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. It's a small book, so you can carry in with you. It has some great ideas for dealing with anxiety symptoms.

Go sit somewhere where it's really crowded and start reading this book. You will not like to do this, but that's part of getting better. Face your fears! Sit there until you start to sweat and fell really nervous. And just when you think you can't sit a moment longer, sit for five more minutes. Find different places to sit where you know it will make you nervous. Do this EVERY DAY. If you need to, bring a friend with you at first.

Stay in counseling. If you don't feel you are getting good feedback and suggestions, find another counselor.

Believe me, if you trust in yourself and practice - you will find great accomplishment in being able to get past this. You'll do fine! Just stick with facing your fear. Take care.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #4

dom peri HB User
Re: i need your advice,

man, thanks guys for those posts. i will try to do those things but i still think i need something to help me medication wise... i just dont know how to get them

Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
White Sneakers1

Cool Re: i need your advice,

You're welcome!

If you have the mindset that you NEED medication to get through your panic or anxiety issues, then that will get in the way of believing that you can push past this yourself.

You are so lucky that you recognize a problem and that you are not limited in other areas of your life with this - so truly, if you make a firm decision to work on practicing, and practice every day, even if it's baby steps, you WILL find yourself making strides to be able to deal with this anxiety without medication intervention.

Take GOOD care. Big Hug!

Closed Thread