It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 04:21 AM   #1
(male)

Soodle HB User
Anxiety that mirrors serious disease

Anyone here have symptoms that mirror serious disease? Do you find it hard to convince yourself that it's not the 'disease' you've got? Seems to me that most of us on this board, deep down inside suspect there is a physical problem that the docs have missed? Also, can you notice a correlation between feeling stressed and symptoms or is it less obvious than that? Just interested.

Take care, all the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Anxiety that mirrors serious disease

look up hypochondria on the net, some anxiety sufferers have it. some dont

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
White Sneakers1

Smile Re: Anxiety that mirrors serious disease

Hi,

With anxiety can sometimes come self doubt, and the doubt to trust others and in yourself that you are okay.

If you are a person who is constantly worrying about yourself, you know that this is a hard and sometimes unstoppable way to think. If you're not worried about one sensation or bodily symptom or scary illness, then you're thinking about a new symptom or disease or what if, etc. It's a vicious cycle, and one that is scary and difficult for many to break.

Most people who have anxiety also have obsessive thoughts on some level that focus on self-illness. Ever hear the expression "You are going to worry yourself sick"? Anxious thoughts over time can impact a person's physical and emotional well being.

The main key to alleviating some of these worrisome thoughts is putting trust first:

#1 You need to be able to trust that your medical doctor has your best interests at heart. If he/she isn't concerned with your physical health, then you needn't be. Bottom line, if your doctor says you are healthy, you probably are.

#2 You need to start trusting in your body. You have some anxiety issues that are making you think you are ill, when you truly aren't. Anxiety symptoms can honestly make you feel and think that you are dying from some slow horrible illness, and can make you feel "funny" or miserable every day on some level.

The body is a living machine. It's meant to groan and creak and react and feel. You need to start finding a way to put these physical sensations and thoughts into perspective so you're not so frightened of your own body. That can be a hard thing to do if you're overly anxious or worrisome.

My advice:
  • Ask your doctor for an appointment. Speak to him/her about your worries (ALL OF THEM EVEN IF THEY SOUND SILLY) and then request a good check-up. Ask your doctor to explain "why" or "why not" if you have questions about your exam, your symptoms, or the results.
  • Once your doctor states you are healthy, make a deal with yourself that you will not worry so much that your doctor has missed something or that you need to have another examination to "make sure". This will be hard. Your doctor is bound by law to make sure that you are healthy and that he/she will treat you with the utmost care to your well being. If he/she didn't, that's grounds for a lawsuit, and with malpractice insurance so high, you can bet your doctor leaves nothing to chance.
  • Remind yourself how blessed you are that you ARE healthy.
  • Think about getting some counseling to learn ways to cope with your worries and fears.
  • Spend $10 on a little book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. It worked wonders for me.
  • Every day do something positive to inspire the healthy side of you.

Wishing you a wonderful day. xo

Last edited by White Sneakers1; 08-10-2004 at 12:43 PM.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
(male)

stackzone HB User

Very detailed posts. I enjoy reading your post. Unfortunately Im the pessimist here. Not really but, sometimes it seems it. I agree with alot of what you say, but I differ when you said to trust your doctor. I know alot of stories with incompetent doctors that miss signals and some cases where people are told "its in your head(anxiety)" and a legitimate problem is found--sometimes years later.... Bryan

Old 08-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Yeah..

In the past few days I've had meningitis, colon cancer, brain hemorrage, brain tumour and various other serious ailments. I never really believe it, though. It just crosses my mind and I know it's just all anxiety anyway.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Yes, I read the book by Dr. Weekes and it helped me too.

Andrea

Old 08-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
White Sneakers1

Smile Re: Anxiety that mirrors serious disease

Hi Bryan,

I agree that it is possible and it does happen that doctors misdiagnose things. It's happened to me as well. My point however, that if a person goes to their doctor, is pronounced healthy, and all tests and second opinions also point to that, then how many more MD visits does one need to finally accept that they are not dying or truly ill?

Additionally, most "serious" illnessses have specific symptoms. Soodle was asking if anyone has symptoms that mimic serious disease. If you take everyone's symptoms, at some point, they ALL have the capacity to mimic a serious disease. However, along with the symptoms that people have, there are OTHER considerations and signs that come along with the other symptoms and sensations that most people experience or worry about.

Also, people who have anxiety disorders are usually also chronic self-worriers. As soon as they relax about one symptom, they are focusing one another new or bothersome one.

It's important to get to a point where you can look at your symptom objectively and make a determination of whether it's more of a "worried" worry or a true concern that needs a doctor's opinion.

Hi Junglemonkey (luv the user name),

I used to worry about Lock Jaw and brain tumors! Over time, I became educated on my anxiety-worry pattern, and spoke at length to my physician about my medical concerns. Again, over time, and with practice, I have become much lesss sensitive to "worry thoughts". I am now able to "wait and see" on symptoms, which has helped me immensely over the years of turning my worried thinking around.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I also have had a brain tumor, cancer of the mouth, ovarian cancer, colon cancer and possible knee cancer, not to mention my usual heart attack symptoms. Isn't anxiety the pits?

Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
(male)

thomsonprof HB User

Dear Twanger,
I can tell that you are under a lot of stress, as most people that have this condition usually go right to web to look for answers.

Closed Thread