It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #1

Bill G. HB User
Paxil vs Lexapro

I'm sure this issue has been covered in previous posts but I had trouble finding anything defintive: Paxil vs Lexapro.
I have been on Lexapro for 11 weeks and feel only about 30% better. From what I've read I should have full effects by week 6. So my options now are to increase dosage or move to another drug. Correct me if I'm mistaken but from what I can pick up from various posts, Paxil is a bit more agressive in inhibiting the serotonin reuptake than Lexapro. The result of this is that the individual may experience more side effects (most notibly nausia). I know that people who suffer from anxiety react differently to different drugs and many people who seem to have similar syptoms to me have had sucess from Paxil. Do you suggest that I increase dosage on Lexapro or jump over to Paxil? How is that transition?

Last edited by Bill G.; 08-10-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Paxil vs Lexapro

What dosage of Lexapro are you currently on? If your on a low dose, I would probably bump it up and wait another month or so (since you are not having any bad side-effects and are at least feeling some improvement). If you are already on a high dose, maybe it is time to switch.

I do have another question -- what is your number one problem with anxiety? I mean, do you have panic attacks and worry about your health, or is it more like you are constantly keyed up? Also, what other meds have you tried (if any)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I agree that the dose is important, I would up the lexapro to near the max dose for a while

occasionally these antidepressant meds dont work for a person at all, this usually isnt mentioned to docs by the drug cos but its a fact

so if the lexapro doesnt help more you may only getting a placebo effect, in which case theres not much point in swapping to paxil as its the same basic type as lexapro, a SSRI or prozac type

your next stap would be to try another type of antidepressant such as effexor or mirtazepine

also try to get some valium type meds as these always work for everyone to reduce anxiety and panic attacks

Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #4

Bill G. HB User

Thanks for your response. I'm on only 10mg of Lexapro. I don't really have panic attacks or other occasional symptoms that would be helped with xanax. I suffer from daily dizziness (which used to be more extreme before I started Lexapro), other minor anxiety related symptoms (some fatigue, minor shortness of breath/ chest pain, borderline high blood pressure, occasional weakness in right leg, and occasional increase urination), and finally a previlent morning and evening symptom which I've had for years. This symptom occures just before I fall asleep when I have a heart beat throbbing in my head, and also when I first wake up when I have the throbbing but also my whole body is shaking. I haven't found this last symptom to be too common but other people on this board with anxiety do have it. I'm typically a relatively calm person and am likely supressing most most of my anxiety. I'll be seeing a doctor in a few days. I've found that in anxiety related issues, where the symptoms and effects are less obvious to the doctor, the patient should often be asserative and suggest when they think more/ different medication is needed.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Since you are on a low-dose of Lexapro, it truly might help to up it to 15 or 20. Paxil is helpful, but a lot of people suffer from side-effects and weight gain. I would try to stay on the Lexapro if possible. Obviously, if it doesn't work too much at a higher dose, you may look to change.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
(male)

burg HB User

removed post, do not wish to have it here

Last edited by burg; 11-05-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: removed post, do not wish to have it here

Closed Thread