It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #1

moe2121 HB User
how do you deal?

those with anxiety and/or social anxiety-how do you deal with school or work? i am a college student and it has been very difficult for me. was on meds but no longer am. I have anxiety particularly social. Just wondering how you guys get by day to day in settings such as school or work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: how do you deal?

get some books on overcoming social anxiety and panic disorder and agoraphobia, they will have all the info you need

meds also help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #3

moe2121 HB User

thanks for responding. I meant this post to be more of a poll i guess then advice. i just wanted to know what other peoples coping methods were. thanks.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Moe--
I had my first panic attack freshman year of college. How did I deal? Well for about 6 months I was on meds and then decided to get off them because I didn't like the way they made me feel. (common complaint). I was in therapy for about 2 years (twice a month). You have to deal if you want to get a college degree and graduate. I did the best I could with my limitations. I educated myself alot on anxiety, etc. I had a hard time on tests and presentations, but I did the best I could and graduated. I took it one day at a time. College is a REALLY stressful time. I didn't think it was that bad during it, but looking back I see why I had such anxiety. Just know that you can get through it and that it will only hold you back from your dreams if you let it.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #5

Jchandra88 HB User

I'm really glad that someone started this conversation.. I'm about to start my last year of college and my anxiety problems started within the past year. They've simmered down but they're still there and there's not a day that goes by that I'm not affected by them. I'm afraid that I'll have these problems the rest of my life. What a depressing prospect. Makes you wonder what's the use sometimes....why bother if life's going to be like this. I'm growing more and more nervous about college classes starting again..they'll be starting on the 30th. I think it's affecting my dreams also as they seem to be more and more bizarre and stressful. I don't know how I'll deal when classes finally start... the majority of my symptoms didn't start until AFTER classes were over from the last semester. I guess I'll just concentrate on finding ways to make sure I relax and de-stress every day. I don't know why I find it so hard to totally relax... Lately it seems I can't concentrate on anything...not even recreational reading..which is going to be tough when classes start since they're all English classes.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #6

karigirl HB User

even thought pretty much every time i go out i feel very very anxious, i do it anyway. I do as much as I can, and realize Im gonna be this way , so i better make the most of it and just try my hardest to reailize I cant hide ...
every time you avoid a place because it makes you anxious, your letting this thing control you, and letting your bubble shrink.
reading books and finding people and websites that can relate to what i feel, have helped me a great deal as well
also, one last thing. Exercising helps to take the edge of anxiety...my psychologist was very kee on the idea of cardio exercise at least 30 minutes as often as you can. It really does make a difference.
hope this helped

Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

marlena1967 HB User

The way I deal changes from time to time depending on how I am feeling about something or what I am able to do. I rely on Effexor quite a bit. I will go off of it and within about two months I am back on it. But at least I try. Sometimes I use Xanax. But I have found it is almost impossible to get a doctor to prescribe it so I sometimes get it from other people who are getting it. How they get a doctor to give them a prescription, I don't know. But because it is not reliable for me to get, I end up going back to Effexor. My main thing is to not have a panic attack in the first place. I have a terrible fear of speaking in class - even Effexor does not help it. Xanax does wonders. I make sure I have Xanax for classes I may have to answer questions in. Years ago, when I first started having panic attacks and people didn't know what they were, I used a slef-hypnosis tape. I listened to it two or three times a day. It really taught me to relax and I am sure had much to do with my recovery from panic attacks. I was panic free for 13 years and for the last three years have had them again. I find it is very helpful when I am able to get my life very busy. I have to wean myself into a more social life....... working, college, etc. But it helps alot.

Closed Thread