It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #1

sonia7673 HB User
Panic anyone?

I have constant anxiety about having anxiety...as silly as that may sound. I also have panic attacks occasionally and was wondering if anyone else experiences panic attacks and if so how do you feel afterwards? I know that I get anxiety about having them and am constantly wondering when I'll have another attack. So my anxiety is a vicious cycle of anxiety about anxiety and panic itself...am I alone on this one?

Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Panic anyone?

hi sonya
your problem is very common and is called the second fear or fear of the fear

do try to not add this second fear, remember that panic attacks and anxiety, although unpleasant, cant ever hurt you so dont fear them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 AM   #3

alvejay HB User

undefined

Hi Sonya. I suffered from scary anxiety and panic attacks for many years before I even told my doctor. I am now on a medication that has few side effects and I have not had an attack in over 5 years. I strongly suggest that you seek medical support. There are medications that really help and counselling does too. Sometimes we have subconcious fears from past experiences that come forward via anxiety. A simple response when you fear an attack coming is to take slow deep abdominal (push your tummy out when you inhale) breathes in through your nose and exhale slowly through pursed lips. alvejay

Old 08-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

marlena1967 HB User

I know exactly how you feel! I have that fear of fear. Right now I am on Effexor, but I would really like to go off of it. It has caused major weight gain. One technique that helps with panic - if you can remember to do it is - ever heard of Greer Childers Body Flex? It is a breathing and stretching technique that is supposed to cause weight loss. I never stuck to it long enough to lose weight, but when you feel panicky do the breathing exercises as many times as you need to and it will help calm you down. I just read something scary somewhere on this message board about Xanax. I use it occasionally. For certain situations when I am off the Effexor. But to use it all the time would not be a good idea.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I know how you feel! It's no fun!!!

Closed Thread