It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #1

jas1980 HB User
Question Re: Effexor XR

I have been on Effexor XR for about 6 months now. It has really helped with my depression, but I've been noticing a few things in me that have changed.
I seem to be drinking an awful lot. I have some type of alcohol to drink mostly every day, and before the Effexor I was never doing that. I also notice very strange dreams and even stranger thoughts. Some of which really scare me. I also seem to be puposefully trying to make my life hard. For instance I recently got a job that I was really excited about, then on the first day, got up, got ready, and then just didn't go.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM   #2

Discouraged30 HB User
Re: Question Re: Effexor XR

I experienced somewhat similar symptoms. I was up to 150mg before my depression and anxiety were in check. I found that at night while winding down for bed my mind would just race with weird rapid thoughts. I kindof had to tell my brain to turn off. It felt creepy, like something else was running my head. I also felt emotionless and "stupid" - like doped up. I asked my doc if I could drop to 75mg and he ok'd. Once I dropped my dose I felt a world of difference. I had more energy and the racing thoughts were
gone.
As far as the drinking, I have no suggestion. I did start to drink an aweful lot of coffee which is unlike me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to jas
did you mean to post on the depression board?
the dreams are probably from the effexor, they are a common side effect of these meds, I dont know about the thoughts, make sure the drinking doesnt increase

Old 08-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I am on Effexor XR and I have very strange and vivid dreams. I think this is a very common side effect. My dreams are scary or bad, they are just very odd sometimes and always vivid. I haven't experienced anything with the drinking or the scary thoughts. Effexor should actually help with scary thoughts. Talk to you doctor.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:58 AM   #5

Smith224 HB User

I too have been taking effexor XR at 150mg and have noticed similar symptoms. For the most part my dreams are not bad per say but after writing them down for several weeks, they produce an interesting journey.

As far as the drinking goes, for me it seems to increase and decrease in a cycle. Some weeks I dont have any drinks, then some I have a drink every day. Not sure if this is an effect from the effexor but I have noticed the pattern more after I have started taking the drug.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #6

jas1980 HB User

Thanks for the advice everyone. No, I didn't mean to post on the depression page. I have horrible anxiety which I've had for about 5 years, and that was making me depressed. I finally know how to handle the panic attacks. Maybe I will talk to my doctor about lowering the dosage. Thanks!

Closed Thread