HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   A cold or anxiety (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/199171-cold-anxiety.html)

Jchandra88 08-16-2004 11:50 AM

A cold or anxiety

My mother visited from down south and we talked about some pretty personal things that made me want to go out and smoke a whole carton of cigs. The very next day I felt awful again...like the dizziness and loss of appetite and severe fatique came back. Also, though, my head and throat hurt..and my nose won't stop running. Is this a cold or is it just the anxiety disorder coming back ?
And if it's just a cold, does anyone have any suggestions as to some good medicine? There's so much out there that I never know what to pick..
I really hope it's just a cold...but I never know... classes are starting pretty soon..

Wowwwweeee 08-16-2004 12:21 PM

Re: A cold or anxiety

Hi Jchandra,

If you don't mind me jumping in here! For me, when I feel anxious or guilty or overwhelmed about a discussion or event that took place, I will have anxiety symptoms that come out as physical symptoms.

What has helped me with that, was keeping a journal. I got a simple spiral notebook and every time I had an anxious or worrisome feeling about symptoms or thoughts, I would write it down. It helped me to work out my thoughts slowly (because it takes time to write everything), and calm me down because airing my concerns felt better than keeping them inside. It also helped me when I re-read my entries to show myself that what was going on wasn't actually something to become overly stimulated or sensitive to.

It's been proven that keeping a journal or diary or daily log is very beneficial to a lot of people as a way to get things out, without actually speaking about them to other people - which sometimes a person can't always do depending on where they are or what they're doing. Sometimes just getting it out is therapeutic to a person, even if it's only writing it down.

Journaling is a way to vent, and it begins to show a person that they can rely on themselves to get past something rather than to have to always get approval or help from someone else.

Plus, people are who prone to anxiety and stress have racing thoughts. It's easier to get rid of a racing thought by getting it out, rather than keep playing it over and over again. So, get it out!

You will find that at first you will be journaling constantly. I journaled EVERY TIME I had a racing thought, problem, or symptom. Then as time went on, I felt a lifting of spirit (less anxiety) and the urge to journal less.

It's amazing when you look back at an old journal, once you've made a few steps forward, to see how far you've come in the way you think.

Big Hug.

dizzygirl 08-16-2004 03:30 PM

Re: A cold or anxiety

Hi.... I am sorry you feel crappy. I am sick with the same thing right now, and for me too, it came after a really stressful time. I just found out last week that my stepmother has breast cancer, and I have a one and a half year old sister from her, and it reaaly tested me. Right after I dealt with that news, I got sick.
Take lots of vitamin C, and I always found that lots of tea and good food( garlic especially) is good for when you have a cold. Medication for me is useless because a cold is viral, and there is nothing to treat that, so why bother putting chemicals into your system. Hang in there. Being sick will make anxiety a little worse too. My ears are so clogged, my dizziness is at an all time yuck. :wave:

Carrie