It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Meds for anxiety? Side effects?

Hi - I posted this message on the depression board, not knowing that this board existed. So I'll copy and paste my message here. Thanks.

----------------
Hi... I have a friend who will be seeing his doctor later this week to get a prescription to help with his anxiety. Before he goes for his appointment, he is wanting to be more informed about the different medications and possible side effects. Even though the doctor is the expert and everyone, of course, has different reactions/side effects to the drugs, he was hoping to hear anyone's personal experiences while taking these medications.

Specifically, he was hoping to hear what side effects you may have experienced (particularly with nausea and sexual function).

Are side effects often lesser with SSRI's than benzos? Has anyone taken buspar and what side effects did you have?

Any info you can provide would really be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Meds for anxiety? Side effects?

I've never taken Buspur so I can't answer that one.
I had allergic reactions to two different SSRI's, so I can't really tell you about the side effects of this class of drug.
I did take a benzo...I tried two different ones...Kolonpin and Xanax.
Kolonpin works great for some but it made me feel to much like a zombie so I took Xanax.
I never had a problem with it.
SOME people become dependent on or tolorant to Xanax...any of the benzo's actually...rather quickly, while others like me never do.
I had no side effects at all from it...some people say it makes them sleepy, but it never did that to me.
Like you said everyone is different, so some people may feel side effects while others don't.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Last edited by Graciecat; 08-17-2004 at 05:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
(female)

MMMarie HB User

Thank you for replying, Gracie.

He saw the doctor this a.m. and was given effexor, 37 mg. to start. I really hope it helps him. Hopefully it won't take forever to feel the effects of the medication.

Tx. again. Much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

You're very welcome.
I hope the Effexor helps him too.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #5

jas1980 HB User

I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now and it has really helped. I was a little hesitant because I have taken Zoloft and Paxil before with horrible results. But, I've been very happy with the Effexor. It has helped me feel more like "myself", whatever that is.
I hope it works out for your friend!

Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
(female)

MMMarie HB User

Thanks for replying, jas. Can I ask how long it took before you felt any positive effects from taking it?

I'm really hoping that it won't take weeks to kick in.

Tx. again.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:10 PM   #7
(male)

usmc75 HB User

Hello Marie. I have not taken Effexor but I have been taking Prozac for about 5 months now. It works pretty well although I'm not sure anything is 100% effective. It took about four weeks to really notice a difference in the way that I felt. That is usually how long it takes for anti depressants to completly get in your system. I also tried Paxil CR and it was not for me. I felt like I was in another world or something.
As for the benzo, I take Klonipin when my attacks get really bad. All they do is make me sleep, but I guess sleeping is better than panicing, huh?

I hope that the Effexor works, but if it doesn't work right away, tell your friend to stick with it for a month or so.

Good Luck.
Chad

Last edited by usmc75; 08-22-2004 at 09:11 PM.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #8

KnucklesOnPaXil HB User

I just started paxil CR and its a nightmare in the beginning...
I've been pulled out of school three times in the last week alone due to naesea... I thought I had stomach problems and what not... My doctor must have forgot to tell me that it causes naesea 24/7 for the first couple of weeks... Kinda funny it is... I'm starving and i feel sick... So i eat.... Then i feel sick again... Vicious cycle...

Old 08-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #9
(female)

MMMarie HB User

He's still not feeling great, but it has only been a week now and from everything you guys say, it will definitely take longer to feel any effects.

Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:00 AM   #10

468LC HB User

I'm in the same boat right now. I just quit taking zoloft for anxiety a few days ago after being on it for a couple weeks. I tried dosage adjustments and I still couldn't handle the effects it had. It worsened my anxiety and it also gave me these bizzare hot flashy feelings.

I want to find something to make my anxiety go away.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:51 AM   #11

Smith224 HB User

Hello,

I started off taking Buspur for anxiety. It worked great but tore up my stomach. After several months, the more and more I took it, I would get more nauseous. I have since switched to Effexor. I have had no side effects but for me it does not work as well. Maybe I need to increase the dosage.

Cheers

Closed Thread