It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 10:28 AM   #1

sonia7673 HB User
Can gas in chest cause sharp pains?

I've been burping alot like I have gas in my chest and I've also been having quick sharp/stabbing pains every now and then in my chest too. Any relation? Anyone else have this ever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #2

jas1980 HB User
Re: Can gas in chest cause sharp pains?

I get that a lot, and whenever it would happen my mom would always tell me it was gas. She's not a doctor or anything, so....
But, that's what I've gone through my life thinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

yep. My uncle tells a very funny story about my first cousin (this happend like 15 years ago). My cousin was 12 or so and started complaining about sharps pains in his chest and upper abdominal area. After a couple of hours the pain got worse and my aunt and uncle decided to take him to the ER. The doctors ran some tests and checked him out and explained that it was gas. On the way home my cousin started farting and subsequently started feeling better. To this day my uncle tells the story of the fifty dollar fart!

This is something I read about gas pain: Gas Pain is usually a sharp persistent pain under the left breast and sometimes up to the shoulder, associated with pain in the upper left abdomen and often with belching.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I have a similar story to that of your Uncle.
When I was about 7 or 8 I was having terrible pains in my Chest and stomach.
My Parents took me to the ER thinking I had appendicitis...I can remember to this day the second we got into the exam room I burped so loud I swear it rattled the windows...I felt better right away.
I can still see the look on the faces of my Mom and Dad.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

It's not funny, but it is. You know your parents were like "why couldn't she have done that in the car on the way over". Too funny. All the same, that feeling must be a touch scary.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

It was a scary feeling, that I can laugh about now...but when it's happening it's not so funny.
My Mom teased me about that for the rest of her life.
If I'd be at her house and eat some sort of gas producing food, she'd always be sure to warn my Husband about the ER trip her and my Dad made when I was little...and she'd tell him not to make the same mistake.

I just want to add that I'm...nor do I think anyone else...not making light of your question.
But yes, gas can cause those kinds of pain.

Last edited by Graciecat; 08-18-2004 at 01:19 PM.

Closed Thread