It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 04:23 AM   #1

tony1111 HB User
Weird Swollowing

Can anyone identify with strange swallowing due to stress and anxiety. I am accutely aware that when I swollow food, I feel the food going down all the way to the stomach. I often feel that some food gets stuck in the throat or chest, or the food is slow going down. Liquids are okay. Somedays are better than others. I am not sure if this is a sensation or if it is due to the fact that I concentrate on the swallowing, because I am aware and fear the worst, ie throat cancer, if not then cancer of the eosphagus. or some strange disease of the brain that creates havack with the swallowing mechanism.

I had something not dissimilar many years ago and had to have a berium test and MRI of the head which did not provide any answers.

I get other other symptoms like lump in throat and shortness of breath, palpitations, stroke like symptoms, even blured vision at one time. I have had daily headaches for 6 years. It is like my whole life revoves around body awareness and symptoms. I spend so much time looking at symptoms on the internet or in medical books. Reassurance provides just a small gap of relief before the next symptom sends me running for the medical books in the library.

If i am really honest, I was convinced I had brain cancer , stomach cancer, rabies, heart disease, all within the last year.

Can stress cause long term problems with swallowing ? . How can people cope with this daily trauma and how do people get off the tread-mill and start living

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Weird Swollowing

get doc to check your throat but swallowing problems are very common from anxiety, it effects the throat muscles
valium type meds help by relaxing the throat muscles for a while

just chew the food well and you will swallow automatically

anxious people like you should ignore their bodies as all that monitoring makes your problems worse

learn to relax, exercise and long walks help relax you
an antidepressant med such as prozac could also be tried for the stress and anxiety

Closed Thread