It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Slow heart beat?

Well, i get the rapid heart beat too with my anxiety, but I also get the very slow heart beat. And it's not medicine related cause it began way before I took meds. It can happen when I'm feeling anxious or having a panic attack, then it will switch over to rapid heart beat. But I'm noticing that my heart rate can be real slow for a while before it goes back to a normal reading, same thing for when it's going real fast. I read in Dr. Weekes book, it's rare but anxiety can cause a very slow heart beat also, not always a fast heart beat. Anyone have any experience with this? I went to the cardio, had two ekg's and a stress test and past with flying colors. They said nothing was wrong with my heart. I'm going back on Tuesday to see him after months because just had surgery where I got a kidney stone crushes and the nurse said my heart rate was real low. My thyroid is in normal ranges, but low normal ranges, so go figure. Just don't know, any help here would be appreciated.

Peace

Andrea

Old 08-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
(male)

junior26 HB User
Re: Slow heart beat?

Yes, I get this. My resting heart rate is 54-56 BPM, and as soon as I stand up and walk, it shoots up to 130+.

But I think that in my case, the slow heart beat runs in the family. My 30 year old sister, who is just as inactive as I am, has a pulse rate in the 50's as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to junior26 For This Useful Post:
rjm916 (06-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior26
Yes, I get this. My resting heart rate is 54-56 BPM, and as soon as I stand up and walk, it shoots up to 130+.

But I think that in my case, the slow heart beat runs in the family. My 30 year old sister, who is just as inactive as I am, has a pulse rate in the 50's as well.
Wow, shoots up to 130? No, that doesn't happen to me. If I'm having an anxiety attack, it will beat rapidly, don't remember what it is or was. But my problem is when I feel under stress, then my heart rate gets low or if I feel traumatized it can go slow or fast. AT rest, I'm in the 50's too, but sometimes it will go even in the late 40's, at least when I had two ekg's it did. But I had a echo stress treadmill test and my cardio said I was fine, no problems. Now I'm going back on Tuesday to re-check cause the nurse in recovery said my heart rate was 38. Now I don't know if this was after they shoved a tube down my throat cause I was coughing under anesthesia, cause the body will remember when it's been traumatized. I have PTSD. But now I'm worried again, after my cardio got me not to worry and here I am again, anxious over my heart. Now when I stand, my heart rate will be in the 60's, sometimes higher,maybe early 70's unless I'm moving rapidly then of course it moves up in speed. I also notice that I tend to hold my breathe. Weird.

Andrea

Old 08-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
(male)

junior26 HB User

At least your heart rate remains slow during your EKG's. I'm so nervous during an EKG that my heart rate goes in the 130's. At this rate, I'm guessing nothing is noticeable, so they keep coming back "normal".

How old are you? Are you athletic?

Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
At least your heart rate remains slow during your EKG's. I'm so nervous during an EKG that my heart rate goes in the 130's. At this rate, I'm guessing nothing is noticeable, so they keep coming back "normal".

How old are you? Are you athletic?
I'm 45 and use to be very athletic, but that was a while ago. When I had a car accident two years ago, I'm not so athletic anymore. I do smoke. I saw the cardio yesterday, went in there back in March and they did a stress echo test on me, passed it. So when he saw me again with the problem of heart rate too low, he said this happens during surgery, and also they were sticking a tube down my throat and this can happen too, but the stress test was so good that he didn't find it necessary for me to where a heart monitor. He said resting heart rate is normal between 50-100 and I tend to go into 40's when sleeping and he said he wasn't worried about it. So I want to trust him, you know? Otherwise, my anxiety will come out and haunt me. So here I am.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh forgot to tell you, he called vasovagel, something like that. It's when you get anxiety and your heart races, well some peoples hearts slow down along with their organs. This is true, when I was having panic attacks in the car, it all began with my breathing and then the focusing in to my heart beating real slow. There is no med for it and he said that I won't die from it either.

Andrea

Old 08-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
(male)

junior26 HB User

I have yet to see a doctor worried about a slow heart rate.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I have yet to see a doctor worried about a slow heart rate.
I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for the surgical recovery nurse pushing me to go. I told her I already had a stress test, but that wasn't good enough for her. Slow heart rates are just as scarey as rapid heart beats, palpitations, etc. It really is. And if not looked after, can become serious bradychardia where a pacemaker is placed in the heart to regulate it's beats and rythyms. So I don't think going was wrong.

Andrea

Closed Thread