It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
(male)

junior26 HB User
24/7 Spaciness. Which meds have helped you?

2 months ago, I had a sudden near-fainting spell. Ever since, I've been constantly spaced out 24/7, with the occasional near-fainting spell, especially when the spaciness is really bad, such as when I don't get enough sleep. I don't know if these are panic attacks because my heartbeat remains slow and my breathing remains relaxed during these moments. Heck, I'm not even sure anymore that this feeling is due to anxiety.

I have begun going to the Montreal Anxiety Clinic where they use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but I don't know if this will help the dizziness.

Anyway, for those who have experienced this constant spaced out feeling, which drugs have you tried? Which ones have worked?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-23-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: 24/7 Spaciness. Which meds have helped you?

look up depersonalisation and derealisation on the net, these come from anxiety and should stop when the anxiety is reduced

lightheadedness is another possibility which can come from many things including anxiety

I assume a doc has checked you out, be sure to get your ears checked for wax, very obvious but often overlooked

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 05:51 AM   #3
(male)

chriscwharris HB User

CBT will help, if you let it! I get dizzy spells now and then, was my worst symptom when my anxiety issues started a couple of years ago.

Often when this happens you realise your mind is spinning, trying to think about too many things at once. The important thing is to slow things down in your head. Talk your way through, tell yourself it's just your mind working overtime, reassure yourself your fine and nothing will happen. Maybe focus on something else around you and think about that instead.

Do see your doc to rule out any physical cause first.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
(male)

junior26 HB User

Thanks for your thoughts on CBT. I will continue to go every week at least until my insurance's 500$ reimbursement limit is attained. That's 6 sessions. If I see that it's working, I will go all the way.

I went to the ER twice because I was totally fed up with the dizziness. But they just took my BP. When they saw it spike to 180/105, they say "Ah, he's an anxious person. It's anxiety". This was the first time in my life that I ever saw a doctor, of course I'm nervous! They shined a light into my eyes and did the finger-to-nose test, listened to my heart and told me that I'm fine. So, no MRIs, no CT scans. Nothing. They say that it's obviously anxiety.

Anyway, not sure if the dizziness is caused by anxiety, or if the dizziness is causing my anxiety, but I do feel super stressed about my health these days. And my teeth are always clenched. So yeah, I truly believe that it's anxiety.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
(male)

junior26 HB User

Ok, we all agree that CBT is good. Now how about meds?

Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
(male)

junior26 HB User

Anybody???

Is it because nobody else is dizzy 24/7, or has nobody found anything that helped?

By the way, I went to my second CBT appointment tonight, and basically the psychologist is clueless on the 24/7 dizziness. He doesn't seem to have ever heard of anything like that associated with anxiety. So he told me to go to the doctor and have further tests performed before seeing him again.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User

Hi Junior,

I experienced very similar sensations when I first found out I had an anxiety disorder. I wasn't necessarily "dizzy" all the time, but it might be considered that. I just felt off balance and weird all the time. Like I was floating maybe. And it didn't just happen for short time periods, like during a panic attack. I was feeling like that ALL the time.
For me, I endured this (along with panic attacks) for a few years and finally went on Lexapro about a year and half ago. It completed helped me and stopped the anxiety. I didn't feel weird or dizzy anymore. However, as much as I would recommend this drug, I would caution anyone before they began it. Coming off of anti-depressants is EXTREMELY hard. If I knew this before I began taking Lexapro, I might have decided to stay off and attempt yoga and therapy to help me understand that the feelings were simply that - feelings. I hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
(male)

junior26 HB User

But in my case, I'm 99% convinced that they are indeed just feelings of anxiety. But even with this, and some CBT, I can't seem to shake it off. Even my psychologist told me to go to the doctor for further testing.

I'm in Canada. They don't do tests when they don't think it's necessary. For example, I have gone to the ER 4 times now for dizziness, and they have yet to perform any kind of scan of my head.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 AM   #9
(male)

junior26 HB User

Anybody else??? Why is nobody else answering? I was expecting this post to get many helpful responses since many anxiety sufferers have this!

I'm beginning to think that most people complaining about 24/7 dizziness sufferers on this board have exaggerated about their symptoms.

So, is it that nobody is really suffering from 24/7 dizziness/spaciness? Or, is it that nobody has found any kind of relief from this whatsoever?

Old 08-30-2004, 07:40 AM   #10

BrendaCap HB User

I know exactly what you mean about feeling spacy almost all the time. I never know when it will hit...just out of the blue...and that causes more anxiety and feelings of faintness. It is a vicious cycle..even when I feel "ok" I am anticipating and dreading the next episode of those horrible feelings...it has cost me my quality of life..I never thought a person could feel this way..it is devastating emotionally...

Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 AM   #11
(male)

junior26 HB User

"I never know when it will hit" implies that your spaciness is not 24/7. I'm not spaced out most of the time. I have it every single minute of every day! It is ALWAYS with me.

Anybody else been spaced out every single minute of every day? Have you tried any meds that made it go away?

Old 08-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #12

BrendaCap HB User

Mine is not 24/7 every day but some days it is. Saturday it was..I had not been up long and began to read something (was not feeling too bad) when all of a sudden I felt the overwhelming feeling come on and it stayed with me every minute the rest of the day...yesterday it came and went..today it is with me..I hvae noticed it is becoming more pronounced and more often...causes my level of anxiety to sky rocket which I didn't think it could but guess I was wrong. My heart beats very fast most of the time...I hope you can feel more normal soon...I know it's a hard life to be this way...

Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 AM   #13

Bill G. HB User

My anxiety was 24/7 for 2 or 3 months until I started medication. What you have definately sounds like anxiety and its good that you have realized that. It took me years to get to that point. In terms of your symptoms, mine were very similar. I had the dizziness but my pulse was low; I visited the ER and my BP was 170/100. I had the MRI done but it came back normal - that was a $1000 peace of mind (which may be important for an anxious person). I was started on Lexapro 10 mg that got me about 40% better. After 12 weeks I upped it to 20 mg. Now at 16 weeks I'm about 80% better. The dizziness is almost completly gone but I do still suffer from other anxiety related symptoms. I hope they dissapear with time. I'm anxious to start CBT soon but I think the medication is more important right now. I think Lexapro is the best med out there right now - low possiblity of side effects (I didn't experience any). I hope you feel better soon - think positive and remember to breath.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:45 AM   #14
(male)

junior26 HB User

Bill, when I was reading your post, I thought I was reading my own post. My pulse is low too. Even through my near-fainting spells. And even the BP thing. My BP was exactly 170/100 too at the ER! Hee hee. Believe me, if I could pay for an MRI, I would. But in Canada, you must be referred in order to have an MRI. And the 4 docs I've seen all attribute the dizziness (and high BP) to anxiety.

I had started CBT, but the psychologist told me to go back to the doctor for further testing since he has never heard of 24/7 dizziness from anxiety. He just wants to eliminate all other physical causes first. So do I.

I'll be mentioning Lexapro as my doc's appointment on Friday. I've heard good things about it.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 PM   #15

Bill G. HB User

I've read your other posts and I can certainly relate to your anxiety about the dizziness. A low pulse is one thing that can explain that but since you have had an EKG that would have shown up. When the dizziness was the worst for me I also kept close watch of my pulse - feared I had an arythmia or heart failure and might need a pace maker. My pulse averaged around 50-60 bpm but was as low as 48 bpm. I don't know anything about you but if you are a healthy adult 50+ bpm is nothing to worry about. If you are very athletic you shouldn't even worry if it is only 35 bpm.

Closed Thread