It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #1

Worrytomuch HB User
Panic Attacks at Bed Time

My boyfriend has been having horrible nights lately. He seems okay durring the day but as soon as it gets late and it's time to go to bed he starts having these attacks. He says it feels like a tremor or pressure in his head and he feels like he's going to die. He's lucky to get 2 hours of sleep a night. I feel so bad for him when this happens. It scares him and it scares me. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Do you think this can be panic attacks? I've never had a panic attack therefore I don't know what they feel like....
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #2

Jchandra88 HB User
Re: Panic Attacks at Bed Time

A panic attack for me felt like my breathing got really short and shallow..my neck and shoulders felt very stiff..my heart raced..my head felt dizzy and lightheaded..my throat felt like it was going to close up. Awful feeling...eventually passes though and nothing fatal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #3

Worrytomuch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchandra88
A panic attack for me felt like my breathing got really short and shallow..my neck and shoulders felt very stiff..my heart raced..my head felt dizzy and lightheaded..my throat felt like it was going to close up. Awful feeling...eventually passes though and nothing fatal.
Thanks for your reply! That does sound similar to what my boyfriend experiences. Whats wierd is that it just happens to him at night for no apparent reason. Do these attacks happen to you for no reason or does something have to "cause" them?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #4

Bill G. HB User

Yes, I have had the pressure in the head - feels like heart beat in the head. The worriness about death is just the (typical anxiety disorder) reaction to it. If this is what he is experiencing than it is anxiety. That symptom was one of the first I felt and later many followed. If he is in his early - mid twenties (though it can start at any age) than this may be the start of an anxiety disorder. Tell him to visit a doctor to see if he checks out and they may start him on some medication.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #5

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks Bill!
He's actually in his mid-30's. But I think he's always had anxiety, it's just really starting to intensify now. He doesn't want to go on any meds but I think he will if it's the only way to get rid of these attacks. Do you know of any other methods of dealing with this? Is there any type of breathing exercizes or anything that he can do? I was looking into CBT, that looks interesting. I guess he just needs to go to the doctor and find out. The thing that stinks is that normal doctors really don't seem to take this very seriously. They just perscribe some pill and think the problem is solved. I know, I've been there (not w/anxiety but w/depression).

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Oh, one more question... When you have these attack's does anything provoke them. I have have anxiety before but usually it's because of something that's causing me nerves. But my boyfriend will go to bed and have these attacks even after a nice relaxing day... Even if everything in his life is running pretty smoothly and he's not stressed out, the attacks still sneak up on him. Is this normal of anxiety disorders???? Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2004, 09:19 AM   #6

Jchandra88 HB User

My psychologist told me that there's always *something that triggers an attack. It's not always obvious to us what it is, but attacks don't happen just out of nowhere for no reason. There's always a reason...we see something, touch something, smell something, whatever. There's always a thought process before a feeling...never the other way around. Perhaps if your boyfriend could concentrate on what's going on around him and his conscious thoughts around bedtime, he could figure out what's causing these attacks.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #7

Bill G. HB User

I wouldn't classify this sensation as a panic attack but it did really bother me when it first started. Now I get it pretty much every day. Low stress or high stress makes no difference. Once I accepted it as anxiety it really didn't bother my sleep. Your boyfriend should find a comfortable way to sleep and try not think about the feeling. I found if I put my hand under my head or neck and sleep on my side or back then it helps.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Many times, panic happens when we associate the panic with the place/situation that it happens. So if he initally had attacks going to bed, he is already now apprehensive at the thought of laying down to go to sleep.

It is good to perhaps walk for 30 mins outside before retiring about an hour before bed, since he is a man I doubt he would take this advice, as I can't imagine my own husband doing this either, but long warm baths before help, perhaps he can take a long warm shower, also drinking decaffinated chamoille tea helps, at least try to get him to cut out caffiene.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #9

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks for all the replies!
He's already cut out caffine and drinks caffine-free tea before bed. He works out on a daily basis too. I think that he just has a lot on his mind. Ignoring his problems all day probably causes it to sneak up on him when he finally laies down to go to bed. I wish I could get him to open up and talk about what is stressing him out. Maybe then he would get it all out and it wouldn't haunt him at night... Oh well, at least he is going to talk to a doctor. Hopefully the doctor will convince him to get some kind of behavioral therapy. I hate it when this happens to him.
Thanks again!

Closed Thread